Sunday 24 September 2023

Fnurban #26 : Keeping Up the Tradition

Yesterday was the last day of a (rather damp)  holiday in Shropshire. On the way home we stopped in to have a look around Leominster, Herefordshire, which turned out to have quite a concentration of antiques and bric-a-brac shops. You never know what you might find - and I struck fairly lucky, I think. One of the shops included a bookstall, with a decent 'military' section, and amongst the contents I found four issues of 'Tradition' magazine.  I've never seen this publication 'in real life', and they were not expensive, so I bought them. They are as follows: 

Issue No. 10

Number 47

Number 63


and number 72

They are ( slightly frustratingly ) not dated, but from a little research it seems that publication began in 1964, and 6 issues per year were produced.  Number 10 has an article by veteran wargamer Philip O. Stearns, reporting on the ( clearly recent ) Waterloo Convention, London 1965, so that seems to tie in OK.  Number 47 has an article on an auction of Lead Toy Soldiers,  which refers to Britain's recent General Election Contest  being on the same day, 18th June, which must be 1970 ( Indeed the article ends by saying the next such auction will be on 10th December 1970, so that nails it down ).  Assuming they kept to six per year, I assume that number 63 appeared  in about  Spring 1973,  and number 72 in late 1974.  

 

example layout - from issue 10

The focus is very much on uniforms - what I tend to call 'button-counting', which I admit I am not deeply interested in, but it's still a pleasure to leaf through these vintage magazines and savour the atmosphere of times long gone. The editor is the splendidly-titled Lt-Col J.B.R. Nicholson, and the general manager John Tunstill  (who also published 'Miniature Warfare', I think, around the same time). Contributors include Brigadier Peter Young ( with a snippets column called 'Random Shots' ), Colonel H.C.B. Rogers (on Mercenary Soldiers )  and Philip Haythornthwaite ( The London and Westminster Light Horse Volunteers 1779-1829 ).  There are lovely full-page colour plates in the centre pages,  a few rather discreet advertisements mostly for stockists of Norman Newton or Stadden fgures, and a nice colour ad on each  back cover for the same figures, including a lovely set of 54mm Stadden medieval knights.

 

All available, of course, from Tradition Ltd at their fabled 188 Piccadilly address. I think I have a dim memory of passing their shop in the 80s/90s, though they may have moved around the corner to Shepherd Market by then, and I was more interested in finding my way to the Curzon Mayfair cinema for the latest Eric Rohmer, so sadly, I did not venture inside.

The earliest issue also has a nice bonus - a sample colour print, advertising a volume of 20 such plates depicting 'Infantry Units of the British Army 1660-1790' by one P.H. Smitherman, available by mail order for the princely sum of 75 shillings ( I make that £3.75 - remember this is in 1965 ). Here he is : 

If this is a sample of the plates listed in the description of the book, then I think he is a Grenadier Officer of 1st Guards, 1688 - the clue being  the 'JR' royal monogram, as this is the only one in the list dating from James II's reign.  It's really pleasing that this loose slip of  heavy-grade  paper  has remained  all these years between the pages of the magazine - I get quite  annoyed at advertising  'inserts' in magazines these days, but this is a cut above. I wonder how the book sold? ( it looks like you can buy second-hand copies on Amazon for £25, and this image is on the front cover )

Note the prices of the magazines  -  Number 10 cost 10 shillings and sixpence ( for younger and non-UK readers, that is  52.5p  or about £0.52 ), but by number 47 the price had risen to a serious 17 and six ( 87.5p ), and following decimalization , the two later editions were offered for 90p.  I am impressed by how 'reassuringly expensive' these were - I looked around the web for 'prices adjusted for inflation' and found  a multiple of about 15.5  from 1973 to now.   So that 90p issue of Tradition 50 years ago  would be the equivalent of about £14 now ( current wargame magazines are priced at around £6 per issue) - quite pricey!. Fairly obviously this was well outside my childhood pocket-money price range, even though  I may have been  aware of  its existence thanks to mentions in books by the likes of Featherstone, Grant and Wise.  My early issues of Miniature Wargames, from about ten years later  (hence after the really  big inflation surges of the late 1970s)  cost only 75p. 

All in all, a nice piece of serendipity,  I am very glad to have come across these and will enjoy browsing through them. I should point out that Tradition of London Limited seems to be still going in online shop form, and will even sell you copies of the magazine - for consderably more than I paid! 

Now back from holiday, time to get on with painting and gaming - next time, a rumination on the role (and the roll) of the dice. And a bunch of shows coming up soon! Meanwhile keep well, everyone.

18 comments:

  1. Hi David. A perfect illustration of one of my favourite words in action (serendipity). Both for the sound of the word and for what it means. Oh and its derivation is interesting.
    The magazines do sound ‘reassuringly expensive’. More in keeping with Schneider’s budget than Callan’s.
    I first became aware of Tradition via the Appendix of The War Game (Ed. Peter Young). The photos for this book were taken by Philip O. Stearns (ex-OSS) who was also connected to Mayfair for his photography for the magazine of that name.
    I remember looking in Tradition’s window in Piccadilly and visiting the shop in Shepherds Market about 10 years ago. It had nothing to tempt me then.

    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Serendipity” is cropping up in many places.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chris, glad you enjoyed it. When I was a kid we holidayed in Fowey, Cornwall and there was an antiques shop called 'Serendipity', which for some reason has stuck in my mind.
      Indeed books like 'The War Game' will have told me about 'Tradition', and yes I knew about Mr Stearns from that book.
      I like 'more Schneider than Callan'!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jon, yes serendipity always comes as a pleasant surprise..

      Delete
  2. Nice find and useful for some of that lovely artwork to enter the blog in support of articles etc. Also agree re pricing, I have just bought an old early 80’s hardback and the cover price was £10, a lot of money then and using an inflation multiplier, it is still more expensive than todays books that have just all jumped up by 20% in a cost of living rise.

    I recently bought a paperback for £8 and two weeks later it was £11, I think that is the biggest percentage jump that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Norm, I think you are right, in fact books are probably relatively cheaper today than in the past- despite some drastic recent increases! Also thanks for the hint, yes some of the artwork may be handy in future blog posts..

      Delete
  3. What a splendid find and price! I hope you enjoy them.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes I am very pleased with these and will enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. Glad your break wasn't wrecked by the weather. I bought 2 (that's TWO) copies of that same Smitherman book in about 1972 - it had been remaindered, and I got them for £1 each in the Edinburgh Bookshop, which was in George Street. Why did I buy 2? Well, I used to think it was a poor show if people cut up a book to remove the pictures, so I bought one copy to put in the bookcase and one to - well - cut up. I put a few specimens on the wall of my study, in rather nasty Woolworths frames - the study I had in those days was a proper study, since I was in the dread grip of professional exams, which certainly did my head in. Which maybe explains a few things.

    The pictures were nice, but all very static and not very interesting. I never, as far as I know, opened the bookcase copy! I think Smitherman did quite a few similar books - I know nothing about him; I can't remember anyone mentioning him as a reference. Tradition magazines - nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, lucky you got that book at a bargain price at least - though still maybe quite pricey for 1972? Nowadays we could (not that I would condone this, of course ) simply use our home scanner/printer to make copies.. I admit, from the example I have, that the style is rather dull. I will keep the print, inside the same magazine where it has clearly spent the past 58 years - it would be a shame to part them!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. thanks JBM, these antique/memorabilia shops can sometimes have interesting items - we did not look in all such shops in the town, by any means, so this was a lucky chance! I am pleased to have found them.

      Delete
  6. Nice find. I can see an article on Prussian Freikorps of the C18th which may come in handy for you.
    I think the most serendipitous finds are when you encounter something unexpected, that is just what you need at that time or is connected to a current project.
    One of mine many years ago was in a second hand bookshop I had just discovered, while browsing for something vaguely eighteenth century related, found a copy of Parkman's "Montcalm and Wolfe" on the shelf for £5. I had only just learned that it was one of the main books on the Seven Years War in America, and there it was. I have just re-read it an while dated, it is still a cracking read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I agree these things can sometimes seem almost spooky - your 'Montcalm and Wolfe' is a great example. I found a copy of Christopher Duffy's 'Army of Frederick the Great' in Scarthin Books, Cromford at just the right time, the early stages of my 7YW project. That was a nice find!

      Delete
  7. Well those were great finds, that's for sure! I've heard of the magazine, but never actually seen one until now, via your images. They look worth getting if you can find them at reasonable prices, like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, like you I had never actually seen any examples of this magazine before - I'm glad to have chanced upon them!

      Delete