Tuesday 10 March 2020

The Best-Case Scenario

Having come through our baptism of fire ( in Action! ) and thoroughly  enjoyed the experience, I am encouraged to continue with the adventures of Generals Dachs and von Kleist and their somewhat improvised forces. But how to go about it?

What I need now are further situations in which  our plucky metal protagonists will join battle:  and I hope, not just arbitrary  'line em up and roll dice' situations.   In a word: scenarios.  I'd also like to establish some sort of narrative to connect  the scenarios and give a reason for each battle. Not a fully-worked out, detailed campaign with maps - it's rather early days for that. But a series of linked actions, where the outcome of one influences the initiation of the next in some way; that shouldn't be impossible.  And in this I am fortunate to have plenty of material to draw on.  Over the years I've acquired some books which should  come in very handy:

Every expense spared on the cover design - but don't judge..


Age before beauty - certainly in terms of the cover illustations!   First up must be the original 'Scenarios for Wargames'  by Charles S. Grant, from about 1982. I'm sure these were developed from his 'Table Top Teasers' series in 'Battle' / 'Military Modelling' magazine, and included here is 'Reserve Demolition'  which must have been 'Teaser' No.1 - I'm sure I still have a much-thumbed copy of the magazine it featured in!  Not  only that one, but the book has no less than 52 suggested scenarios, 'one for every week of the year' as the cover helpfully points out. By the time you'd played all those, you would have been ready for the next book - 'Programmed Wargames Scenarios'. Now this took things to another level - each of the 18 scenarios ( plus two mini-campaigns ) can apparently be played with one side  or even both sides 'programmed' -  "whose inital dispositions, orders and responses to battlefield events, were not known to the player beforehand".  Given that this is years before most of us had the use of personal computers, this was heady stuff.  I say 'apparently', because I admit that I don't think I ever summoned up the courage to actually play any of these!  Looks interesting, though, and aimed directly at the solo player.

A truly great double-act

Next,  the master of Scenarios teamed up with the late and much-lamented Stuart Asquith for 'Scenarios for All Ages' from 1996 , though I acquired mine much more recently. Another  'every week for a year' set of 52 scenarios , which Charles Grant  assures us are all different from those in the earlier book. Very much a horse and musket slant,  "For simplicity, the relative forces have been considered as units of infantry, light infantry, cavalry and artillery" - perfect for my purposes. Just as with the previous volumes,  every scenario complete with outline of the aims, map and ground, opposing  forces, deployments, success criteria and special rules.

Even if you don't like the rules - 30 scenarios!

Finally, and certainly not the least - Neil Thomas 'One Hour Wargames'. I suspect we either love or hate Mr Thomas - I am generally a fan.  His ability to boil down a period to its  essence , then create the simplest possible rules to reflect it, is just brilliant. Even if you don't fancy the rules, here are another 30 decent scenarios - well worth the price.  And two major advantages for me;  first, they assume a playing area  only 3 feet square, which is exactly what I have right now;  second, forces of typically  6 units each side - ditto.  'Scenarios for All Ages' assumes a 7 feet by 5 table -  well, maybe I can shrink it down?  But Neil has done the work for me. I think on the whole, we are likely to start with Mr Thomas' scenarios and Bob's Portable Napoleonic  ( suitably tweaked for 7YW ) rules.

Now, having been narrowly rebuffed at Tragers Grat , what is Von Kleist's next move?



11 comments:

  1. Photos are not showing for me. Looking forward to seeing your first scenario game. Neil Thomas has contributed much to the hobby and his scenarios are very useful indeed. I like the way your games revolve around a named character and are we going to hear a little more about his background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the pics, I have reloaded them, hope it works!
      I think the character names come from early days with Charles Grant's 'The War Game', I liked his mix of imagination and real historical details. General Dachs is of course a Germanic cousin of Bob's War of 1812 General Badger - and he really should have a dachshund.. I read that over 50 men called Kleist served Frederick the Great, so perhaps one of them was an Eric?
      I rather hope these characters will take on a life of their own as things progress!

      Delete
  2. OHW provides a host of nice little scenarios that can be joined together to form Campaigns - his random force generator table is also an excellent device for the solo gamer. Look forward to reading your game reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I quite agree, am looking through the book for suitable choices. The force generator will be very useful, I think, to give some interesting challenges rather than too 'balanced' a game!

      Delete
    2. I like the scenarios in OHW but am going to use the portable wargame rules as I favour those with probably a random force generator of my own devising.

      Delete
    3. Sounds a good combination ,Dave. I see you have been working on 'Portable ACW' on your blog - good idea!

      Delete
  3. Nice set of books; I am always impressed by your library of venerable wargaming books. Apart from the Bruce Quarrie Airfix Guide I was dependent upon what I could get from our local library, which was mostly Donald Featherstone*. It were grim oop north.

    *No disrespect intended for the always enjoyable Featherstone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dave, I may not have done enough games but I did buy some books - starting with Charles Grant, I remember my 'holiday money' one year going on 'The War Game', which was very well spent! I too probably went through Featherstone's stuff from the library - more recently have picked up a few second-hand, very nostalgic!

      Delete
  4. Feels like Christmas having followed your link to the Ragged Soldier! (Good pub name!) I have been bemoaning the slow decay in the number of active, interesting (to me) wargaming blogs.

    Only had a quick look at 4 or 5 posts but I like 'em all!

    My friend Ron and I have played maybe 1/2 dozen 25mm SYW Portable Wargames over the last 9 years. They're on the early part of my Portable Wargame label list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Ross!
      You did indeed leave your comment ok, I was just a bit slow to notice and 'moderate' it. Now published ok, many thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I wondered, blogger used to give a "waiting for moderation" message (I forget the exact words). But yesterday even stuff on my own blog was just disappearing into the ether.

      Delete