Thursday 14 December 2023

Persians Painted - at last

Hello again all, if you are still out there.. once again a bit too much reality has been getting in the way of hobby time recently, so progress has been slow, But I have, finally, managed to finish what must be one of the slowest-painted Persian DBA armies ever! 

I finished varnishing and basing yesterday, and today they underwent a photo session in an admittedly not-very-Persian looking setting. So without further ado, here is the (small) Persian horde, 

 The force is made up of the following : 

Front left:    1 x 4Bw Light Archers

Rear Left:    1 x 3Kn Heavy Cavalry,   3 x 3Cv Medium Cavalry 

Centre:        2 x 4Sp Greek Mercenary Hoplites,  2 x 4Ax 'Kardakes'

Front Right:  2 x 2LH Light Cavalry

Rear right :   1x 4Bw 'Sparabara'           

 

**UPDATE** the above provoked some interesting discussion (see comments, many thanks to Neil and Rob) about 'Sparabara' and 'Kardakes' types. I should have said that the descriptions above are taken straight from the DBA 1st Edition rulebook, army list no.33 Later Achaemenid. From background reading the name  Sparabara seems to have meant 'shield bearers', and it appears they would have had a front rank equipped with Spara (a form of wicker shield) and spear, and other ranks armed with bows. DBA has obviously decided to treat them as mainly bow-armed, but gives them quite a shallow base, hence close-order formation. I am toying with the idea of giving them Spara, but I think it might look a bit awkward on the restricted base. I am told that later editions of DBA have them as double-depth bases with 8 figures, front rank with shields, which might look better - but of course that sort of  implies 50% carrying shields? Tricky.. 

Kardakes  are quite enigmatic - some say  the name means 'Foreign Mercenary', and it is suggested that they may have been Persian infantry equipped similarly to Greek Hoplites, which would make them 'Sp' class in DBA.  But others think they may have been more like the Greek Peltasts,  in which case the DBA class would be 'Ax'.  Clearly Phil Barker has plumped for the latter option in DBA 1st Edition, which does have the benefit of adding another variety of troops to the army, rather than just more 'Spears'.  

This is all a nice introduction to some of the uncertainty and debate which inevitably surrounds ancient armies, given the scarcity of source material for scholars. It also perhaps allows us quite a lot of 'artistic license' when forming our miniature armies! 

Having said all that, all in all it looks quite a handy force, it will be interesting to see how it does against Alexander's Phalanx and Companions.   My first attempt at a DBA game ( despite owning the 1st edition rules for about 30 years! )  will be coming up soon, and duly reported here. 

They were actually quite fun to paint, and interesting to read a bit and work out colour schemes - I think my favourites of the infantry were the Kardakes, the inspiration for which I found in the box art of the HaT  Achaemenid Persian Army set. I think I got away with painting the interesting patterns on the trousers as rather indistinct stripes - it will do fine at table distance!  But now I think about it, I suspect the HaT figures are leaning much more towards the 'Hoplite equivalent' than the 'pseudo-Peltast' theory.. 

 

Kardakes..

and Sparabara - without the 'Spara'
 

I should say, I have been rather loving seeing another and much larger Persian army being shown off by Rob Young on his Eastern Garrison blog - it really is a huge and impressive army, and I love the 'old school' style of both figures ( Garrison of course, and old Minifigs 'S' and 'PB' ranges ) and painting. I confess, I would rather like to have some of those..   

In the meantime, tonight I have the  honour to be first to represent King Emmanuele III of Piedmont-Sardinia in Jon Freitag's re-fight of  the battle of  Madonna dell' Olmo, 1744 .  It looks a daunting task, to be frank - attacking entrenched positions without superior numbers, and against wily and cunning opponents too!  Watch Jon's blog for the battle report, which should be interesting - I admit I am pretty nervous!    

I'd better get back to revising the QRS and battle breifing for that, then, so will leave it there. Hopefully some DBA action next time.. Until then keep well, everyone.

30 comments:

  1. They're looking good - hope it gets you into expanding the army. I mean, thanks for the comments re my own troops. But the really nice thing about Persians is how flexible they are... take out the Greeks and add (pretty much much anything) for that last battle - or add more Greeks - 50:50 Greek infantry and Persian cavalry does well.( I just can't resist painting Persians!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, I think I would like to expand a bit further than just DBA armies, at the very least in order to try other rulesets, but also because I think these armies need to look a bit more like, well, armies! I take the point about flexibility too, and the same goes with the Greeks/Macedonians ( I remember an old magazine article on the subject 'Have Pike, Will Travel' ). In the longer term I think an Indian army would be good too, for a sort of three-cornered campaign. But perhaps that way, megalomania lies...

      Delete
  2. Main photo looks very handsome - you'll have to order up some Peco background sheets from their "Ancient Persia" range. They are much in demand for guys building HO scale Ancient Persian railways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony - I'll look out for that background sheet :)
      I have been thinking that this move into the Ancient near East may require some amendments to scenery, basing colours etc..

      Delete
    2. All you need is a few palm trees. I love palm trees.

      Delete
  3. Nice that you got the Persians done, a fascinating army. I am getting the boardgame ‘Alexander’ for Christmas, so some Persian activity will be forthcoming. I saw Jon’s set-up and thought that it will be a tough grind, with heavy casualties for both sides before a breakthrough occurs. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes I think they are interesting, and may actually be quite a tough nut for Alexander to crack - the cavalry is powerful, for a start. I will look out for your comments on that board game, it will be good background.
      As to Jon's game, well I wish it had been as you described - sadly it all went pear-shaped for me quite fast! Jon's report should be well worth a look, there was some fairly spectacular charging done..

      Delete
    2. There were a few spectacular charges and repulses. I will be very interested in reading player retrospectives on the action. Mark is often a very lucky fellow at the gaming table. You, not as much. We have seen you pull off brilliant victories. Thursday just was not one of them.

      Delete
  4. Some splendid looking Persians.
    Pedantic note your "sparabara" are not actually...☺
    Sparabara literally means "bearer or carrier of Spara" which is thought to relate to the large rectangular whicker shields or "barriers" set up by early Persian and Mede (as well as others) infantry. Front ranks spear and bow, rear ranks bow. These had died out by Alexander. Last recorded at Cunaxa (possibly) in 401bc.
    I think you have some levy bow.
    In DBA Sparabara are now 8BW double depth stands.
    Later Persian infantry were the mysterious Kardakes (possibly youths in training) who could be loose or close order pseudo peltasts or hoplites or indeed both. There were also "Takabares" bearers of the "taka" a light shield either circular or crescent shaped. Supplemented by light archers and slingers in considerable numbers.
    For a campaign I'd recommend the following:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4217/alexandros
    Good luck as King Emmanuel!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually nothing wrong with calling them Sparabara if you just consider it to be an archaic or traditional name for a particular regiment - for examples, Immortals. I believe a tank unit in the Shah of Iran's army were called the Immortals!

      Delete
    2. Rob,
      David is free to call them what he wants, I was simply explaining the meaning; a unit without shields is a bit odd being called "shield bearers".
      I'd also disagree that it's the same to use a name describing function as a specific unit title; the "immortals" held a lot of historic cache for the Persians and Iranians who followed them . The Sassanids who regarded themselves as successors to the Achamenids, had a unit of Immortals . The Shah wanted to create Iran as Persia and find a link to the history.
      Neil

      Delete
    3. Thanks both Neil and Rob, interesting discussion. I should perhaps have made clear that the army list is taken from DBA 1st Edition, and those Bow-armed guys are named as Sparabara there - in I had indeed read about the shields, and did cut out some 'Spara' from cardboard and start painting them, but thought they might look a bit clunky on a narrow base. Interesting that the later DBA has a different definition (and deeper base, which will look better ) for them. The 'Kardakes' are obviously also as defined in DBA 1st Ed, where they are treated as 'Ax', hence presumably a sort of pseudo-peltast. I wonder if in reality they might be more conventional spear-armed infantry, equivalent to hoplites? I may update the post to include reference to this.
      Unit names and functions is a great rabbit-hole: 'Dragoon' springs to mind. From mounted infantry with muskets, to battlefield cavalry, to tankers, in 300 years.. It's all part of the fun!

      Delete
  5. Turned out very nicely indeed. I look forward to hearing how DBA goes…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I am pleased with them. We'll see how DBA turns out - at the very least it is a way of getting a game going with quite small numbers and in a small space and short time!

      Delete
  6. Slow and steady does it David! They look good to me and like you, real life has impacted most gaming related activity, other than reading. Good luck with the forthcoming game, ditto translating Barkerese into modern English that all and sundry can understand;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I am clearly doing the 'slow', need to work on the 'steady' part! I am about to start my course on 'Barkerese 1.01'..

      Delete
  7. They look great David. Life is a great disturber of important activities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, your Persian Army mobilization is progressing nicely. My summary of Madonna dell'Olmo I leave for another time. Looking through the game photos this morning, I really did not take as many photos as I ought to have snapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I am quite pleased with these and will try to give them a game pretty soon. Your report of Madonna dell'Olmo was great, my generalship sadly not so good!

      Delete
  9. Looking good David. I’d be tempted to take up Ancients but all the terminology (sparabarra etc) added to the Barkerese is a bit daunting.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, Ancients is a whole new thing for me, but am enjoying it so far. I think the shortage of hard evidence can lead to a lot of debate, but also gives a lot of 'creative license'!

      Delete
  10. PS I wouldn’t worry too much about the colour of the ground. The Persian Empire covered many different landscapes and I wonder if there was as much desert and arid land as there is now. Climates change and Noeth Africa was the breadbasket of the Roman Empire a few centuries later.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, a vast empire with huge variations in terrain!

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the classic ancient wargame world where any army you build will be declared wrong and obsolete every 2-5 years as historians and wargame authors re-asses old and new images and texts, and new lines or versions of miniatures are released!

    Since these ones look good, let the dice be kind to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, I tend to think that with such a shortage of documentary and physical evidence, no-one can actually prove one is wrong, so my version of a Persian army is as good as anyone else's!

      Delete
  12. Can I make a suggestion? Put he Sparabara shields shields on a separate base and place them in front of your bow armed infantry. Aslo, take a look at The Eastern Garrison for a large Achaemenid army. About 4 times the size of mine, if not larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khusru, that is an interesting idea. I have indeed been following Rob's reports of his huge Persian army on The Eastern Garrison - most impressive!

      Delete