Thursday 18 June 2020

Further Frederician ( and Maurician ) Reading

'War is a science replete with shadows in whose obscurity one cannot move with an assured step...
 All sciences have principles and rules. War has none.'

Time and Space have been limited recently, always time and space.  However, browsing my shelves yesterday, I found these two books, which I had forgotten all about.  Given current interests, they are must-reads!  Both are slim volumes, too, so they  will also be quick reads.  



Frederick's Instructions from 1747/48  were actually a top-secret manual for his commanders, only 50 copies printed and issued to trusted officers  who were ordered, on oath, not to take it with them in the field. Unfortunately for him but fortunately for posterity, one General Czettertiz was captured by the Austrians in 1760 with his copy of the book, which was promptly published throughout Europe!

Maurice de Saxe's Reveries seem to be a more fanciful affair, 'composed over 13 nights: I was sick; thus it very probably shows the effects of the fever I had.. Done in the month of December, 1732' . He describes his ideal military organisations, compared with  the reality of the time - hence the suggestion of  bodies such as 'Legions' and 'Centuries'  inspired by Roman organisations.  However,  'This work was not born from a desire to establish a new method of the art of war; I composed it to amuse and instruct myself'.   I have made a start on reading him: only 120 pages, but it positively fizzes with ideas and memorable phrases. Recruitment, pay, food, clothing, marching, all are  covered, before battle is joined.  I was interested to see that  he was very sceptical of the effects of massed volleys of musketry, much preferring the charge with cold steel. 'I have never seen..a single discharge do enough violence to keep the troops from continuing forward and avenging themselves with bayonet and shot at close quarters'. 

Both books are from Dover Publications of Mineola, New York, and both appear to have been very reasonably priced when I bought them from Foyles, albeit probably 10 years ago. I'm enjoying the Reveries already, and look forward to the no doubt more sober, but no less interesting Instructions. Both will, I trust, provide great background knowledge for my further adventures in The Portable Seven Years' War.

Meanwhile next time, I think we'd better see how the D-Day dodgers are getting on..  Keep well, everyone.
 





8 comments:

  1. I had the Instructions years ago. I think it may have ended up with a pile of other unfortunate material when a friend split up with his wife. It was an old edition from the 60s or 70s I think.

    Never read the Reveries but I imagine Instructions will seem very dull by comparison being half full of instructions for preventing desertion and maintaining order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right, and pehaps I should have read the 'sensible' one first, and then the more fantastical as a contrast! But I'm sure they'll both be worthwhile, perhaps highlighting the contrast between these two contemporary 'great captains'.

      Delete
  2. I have the Reveries on the shelf. Years ago there was a blogger who commissioned figures to be made of De Saxe legion. I think the project stalled but I got about ten or twelve figures ( enough for a wee unit)) in that unique uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just getting to the part about his proposed 'Legion', so that will be interesting. Suppose they had been matched against Von Kleist and his Frei Korps..?

      Delete
  3. Both great and inspiring books as was Vegetius de re militari. I read them all in military college some mumble years ago but only have a copy of Vegetius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will take that as a strong recommendation!
      Vegetius I have not been brave enough to try, but maybe one day..

      Delete
  4. I would be curious to see your shelves Dave, you are constantly unearthing old gems that have sat unread on your shelves for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, you have a point there - I may not have gamed much but I did get through a fair number of military/history books back in the day, and kept most of them. More recently, I have 'rescued' quite a few from charity shops ( most notably 6 volumes of Napier's 'Peninsular War' from Sudbury Oxfam ), which I have mostly NOT got round to reading, yet. If there's a 'second wave' and the economy closes down, I will probably just have to hole up and read them all..

      Delete