Wednesday 5 August 2020

New Recruits and Artillery Support

Foward, Regiment Botta!

Well, I'm not the fastest painter in the world, to say the least, but we have some progress. Here are two Fusilier 'units' of the Austrian  regiment (no.12)  Botta d'Adorno, from the unpainted figures acquired from the collection of the late Eric Knowles, and done as per his painting notes. Not the finest painting either, I fully admit, but the best I could do - and  I am quite happy with them for a first attempt (in possibly 40 years!). I have kept the syle back in the1970s too, no shading/washes - that might come later, if I gain confidence.  For the moment I rather like the cleanness of the white uniforms - clearly  fresh out of the barracks, day one of the campaigning season.  I prefer simple basing too, and the green base colour is from a local DIY store's mixing service ( Valspar ) and glories in the name of  'Ribbet'!  A flag will be added to that empty pole, just as soon as I can work out why my printer isn't working - I think 'Warflags' have something appropriate.

Based for use initially with Bob Cordery's 'Portable Napoleonic Wargame' , they will make two battalions for the Brigade Level game ( or perhaps one battalion in various other rules that might be tried ). Base sizes worked out on the highly scientific criteria of  'must get three bases in line,  inside a 100mm Hexon hex'.  Another two units should join them fairly soon, too.

Meanwhile, I have also received some additions to the artillery park - more of Eric's stuff, via David Crook.  A pair of Prussian battalion guns and a brace of nice stubby little howitzers, with crews and limbers, and a bonus of a couple of ammunition wagons at the back. Painted, I assume, by Eric, they will do nicely. Good to have a bit of variety in the artillery train, and the wagons are giving me ideas, how about some sort of convoy/ambush  scenario?   I hope messrs Charles Grant, Stuart Asquith and/or Neil Thomas can provide some inspiration. Anyway here they are, on the Ercol parade ground..


New to the Prussian Artillery Park


I am hoping I may have some time to set up a small game next week, it's been a while.  There has been some  recent gaming, and jolly good  it was  too, but that has been described by the most excellent MS Foy on his blog  - so  no plot spoilers here..

keep well, everyone.








13 comments:

  1. Great steps forward. I really look forward to seeing a battle report about your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. I will try to give these new units an outing quite soon, we'll see how they fight!

      Delete
  2. Well done ‘Blakey’! Have you got many more in the pipeline? And is it going to remain Prussians v Austrians or fo you have some Reichstruppen in the lead pile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I posted in May about 'Eric's Lead Mountain' and I think that lists the entire 'pipeline' - which are pretty much all Prussian and Austrian, but with an irregular/border troops bent. French dragoons may lend a hand too!

      Delete
    2. I once had a unit of Minifigs WSS French dragoons in forage caps/campaign caps or whatever they’re called. Pressed into SYW service. Known in our little circle as the Bedcap Dragoons. That fixed forever in my mind what French dragons should look like.

      Delete
    3. having found this interesting website : http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Dragoons_Uniforms
      - I see exactly what you mean!

      Delete
    4. ..and further to this, having now checked, I can confirm I have some figures with these caps. I think they will look good, when (eventually) painted!

      Delete
  3. Quite nice actually. I have a friend who has been painting in unshaded block style for 40+ years and sees no reason to change. In case you are wondering, his armies win as many battles as the lose against troops with various fancier paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! I have a feeling that fighting ability may well be inversely proportional to intricacy of paint job! The quotation that gave my blog its name has always seemed very apt to me.

      Delete
  4. The Austrians look really good Dave. Love the French dragoons in the bedcaps too, they have an odd choice in pyjamas though. You need to get some of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave, yes I am pleased with the Austrians, I will try to finish the other 16 soon. And having checked the boxes of unpainted figures, I do indeed have some of those 'bedcap' Dragoons!

      Delete
  5. You are off to a good start, David! Getting troops into battle is a good motivator to paint, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! Indeed good for motivation, and these Austrians will get to see action very soon, too..

      Delete