Saturday 22 August 2020

Fnurban #4 : Support your local shops..

Having some time off work last week, I was able to pay a visit to nearby-ish Bury St. Edmunds. It's a pleasant place to wander and shop, with a  'Cathedral City' feel, a nice mix of old and new, chain and independent shops, and very pedestrian-friendly.  We had not been there, however, since before 'lockdown' in March. So, it seemed about time to return, and I had an ulterior motive - there is a decent model shop, and I needed some paints!  Model Junction,  in Whiting Street turned out to be up and running, with no shortage of stock and sensible safety measures - a maximum 4 customers at  a time was not a problem on a quietish weekday afternoon.  Plenty of paints from several different ranges, but my needs were simple and I was happy to plump for flesh, white and black Tamiya acrylics, and some Brass from the 'mig' range. And of course, one has to take a look at the plastic kits.. these resulted in a a couple of nicely matched  impulse buys, the Revell 1:76  'Wespe' and 'Priest' self-propelled guns. Those will fit very nicely into my 'D-Day Dodgers' forces, and I was quite glad to spend a bit more and support a good local shop. I know on-line shopping is the modern thing, but it's great to have a 'real' shop to browse and make serendipitous finds, and in a pleasant location. 

After that, I wandered into WH Smith and looked at the magazine racks - glad to see they are getting back to normal, and I was pleased to see some wargaming magazines. So how could I not support them too?  I came away with 'Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy' no 109,  and 'Wargames Illustrated' issue 392 ( August 2020 ). WSS has experimented with its issue 'theme' ; instead of a single period, it has a run of articles about a single location - specifically Afghanistan. I think this works quite well, with half a dozen pieces  ranging in time from Alexander the Great to 1980s Soviets. Plus the usual run of other articles, including one from Henry Hyde giving a mini-campagin scenario based around a crossroads and river crossing - as you'd expect from Henry and WSS , rather nice maps that are bound to come in handy sometime.  'Wargames Illustrated' is also themed - this time about 'Strategy, Command and Control', which I hope will be interesting.  Rick Priestly  contributes an article on the theme, thus managing to have a piece in both  magazines - his column in 'WSS' is in praise of The Society of Ancients.  'WI 392' also comes with a significant free extra - the rules manual for Warlord Games' new WW2 naval game 'Victory at Sea' . An interesting move, giving the rules away for free - "check out Warlord Games for all the  playing pieces" says the editorial. No doubt they are reassuringly expensive; but for the price of the magazine, you have set of rules as well as the usual articles to read, and no doubt this will interest plenty of naval warfare enthusiasts. Mr Crook, perhaps? 

 I confess I don't buy these magazines on a regular basis, but I will pick them up if the theme looks interesting, and right now it seemed almost a duty to give them a bit of help - the covid-19 crisis has I suspect,  hit them hard, by taking away their high street sales for some months. Equally I find I have just not been spending 'disposable income' in the past few months, while being fortunate to carry on working, and earning as normal. So I had no problem with a bit of  extra hobby spending.   I had a pleasant afternoon ( albeit dodging thundery showers ) and I hope my shopping was a 'win-win' thing for all concerned!

Next time, back to the Seven Years War and the outcome of the Bridgehead battle. Keep well, everyone. 

** UPDATE ** Since the above, issue 393 of Wargames Illustrated has come out, including a special 'freebie' of a set of rules for Wars of the Roses period, entitled Never Mind The Billhooks ( splendid stuff!) written by Andy Callan, no less.  Well worth a look, and a very good initiative from the WI team - good for them!  Much more about that on Norm's most excellent  'Battlefields and Warriors' blog, many thanks to him for highlighting this. 

image from the mag's website: https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



10 comments:

  1. I’m totally with you on serendipity. Doubles the pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - I didn't know I needed those SP guns, but they are just the thing..

      Delete
  2. I buy few Wargaming mags now days. Slingshot by subscription and WSS when issue interests me. Looking forward to a return to SYW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SYW coming soon. I am not a regular mag buyer but like to once in a while, and I had missed seeing them! I think WSS is best of the bunch these days; I also subscribe to 'Arquebusier' from the Pike & Shot society. But I have kept about 20 years of Duncan MacFarlane's 'MW' and 'WI', albeit most are in the loft!

      Delete
  3. At least one of the shiny Toy Soldier magazines TSC or Toy Soldier Collectors International now has the ability to buy single issues by post having looked at the contents page - sort of a virtual browsing in Smiths.
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2020/08/15/15-august-1945-vj-day-75-2020/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes that is useful for those mags, it's nice to be able to buy single issues direct. Glad to see Spencer-Smith still going, they are only about 45 mins from me, hmm...
      Also thanks to Tradgardmastare Alan, I saw your post on Early War miniatures, they look interesting!

      Delete
  4. Great support of your local economy David!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I think everybody won. And btw I've enjoyed your recent Red Vs Blue campaign, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in that neck of the woods (many years ago!) so am glad to hear there is a decent model shop again. In the 70s there was a great model shop in St Johns St that hoovered up all my pocket money so will definitely make a trip to Whiting St ŵhen I next return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small world,indeed. Bury seems a really nice place to a middle-aged person, but of course it might not have been so exciting growing up there - though a decent model shop no doubt helped!

      Delete