Friday 25 September 2020

Deeper into the Seven Years War

After the dramas of the Bellona Bridge battle, I am encouraged to continue progress with the Seven Years War collection.  I really don't know an awful lot about the period, so some background reading is certainly in order.  Thanks to David Crook, I was alerted to the Naval and Military Press summer sale,  and especially 'The Wild Goose and the Eagle', a new edition of Christopher Duffy's 1964  biography of Marshal von Browne - a bargain at about £7 !

I am admittedly going slowly, but there's plenty of interest. Browne represents a phenomenon of the time, the exiled  'Wild Geese'  Irish Catholics  making  careers in the various armies of Europe, after their fathers left Ireland following the overthrow and defeat of James II, and with 'no other patrimony than his sword'.  Britain's loss was perhaps  Europe's gain, especially for the Catholic powers such as Austria, France and Spain. Interestingly though, even while the Jacobites under The Young Pretender threatened the Hanoverian regime in Britain fifty years after James, English commanders and even  King George would welcome a man such as von Browne into their camp and councils, when sent as an envoy of their Austrian ally, and were happy to deal with him.  As an officer in the Austrian army of the time, he was bound to see varied  campaigning - not just in Silesia and Bohemia but on the Rhine, in Italy, the Alps and Provence, and against not just Prussians but French, Bavarians, Spanish and Turks. Every chapter  opens a new campaign, and there is masses of interest and inspiration here.  I also really like Duffy's style - how about this, on the encounter at Mollwitz : 

'Frederick had attained his surprise by crossing the Neisse at Michelau and Lowen, but the victory would probably lie with the army that first accomplished the mechanics of processional deployment from column of march into line of battle : a process which, before the innovations of the last years of the Ancien Regime in France, may be compared with the ordered complexities of music before its liberation in the integrated harmony of Haydn and Mozart. At least we should not deny a very considerable technical competence to the minor 18th century masters, whether of music or war'.

You really don't get that sort of thing in your average Osprey.

I also very much like the maps, which  are Duffy's own drawings ( see below ) , and for once a book which gives accounts of military campaigns has maps and diagrams  which adequately illustrate the theatres of war and fields of battle. My favourite so far, I think is von Browne's daring, if unsuccessful,  attack on Velletri, near Rome in 1744, attempting to surprise and capture King Charles of Naples.    

I do like these hand-drawn maps

Finally a chance find in the bibliography : 'DE LACY-BELLINGARRI, The Roll of the House of Lacy, Baltimore,1925. A Most misleading and unreliable work, which should not be read on this or any other connected subject. Mentioned here only as a warning' .

 In the same sale were a couple of the recent Helion books on the same period - 'Between Scylla and Charybdis'  on the Saxon Army , and 'For Orange and the States'  on the Dutch Army.   I have an idea that these might inspire me to recruit  some mercenary units to join in my campaigns, in addition to the Austrians and Prussians.  I especially like the idea of fielding some regiments from Saxony.  Total cost for the three books in the 'summer sale' was about £20 - not bad!


The auld enemy 'time and space, time and space' has got in the way a little recently, but I have had a few opportunites on sunny September afternoons for painting.  I have accordingly got started on the second half of the Austrian Botta infantry regiment. Also, in what feels like another big step forward, I have half a dozen cuirassiers of the Austrian regiment Erzherhog Ferdinand primed and ready. They will have nice cheerful red facings to their white uniforms, and should look splendid. Painting horses may be an interesting challenge -  but hey, they are mostly brown, aren't they? Same colour as muskets...

Primed and ready..Cuirassiers
 

That's enough for the moment, I hope all are keeping well despite the looming 'second wave' of you-know-what. If we are all to spend the winter indoors, I suppose we will just have to get on with our hobbies. 

Keep well, everyone.


16 comments:

  1. The book on Browne is excellent. If you haven’t read much Duffy before, I’m sure you will now. He manages that rare feat of being both academically sound and highly engaging. I’d recommend his book on the German perspective of the Somme.

    By contrast I thought the book on the Dutch Army (I got the second volume too) was lacking in inspiration. Useful but prosaic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I think I will read more Duffy! I do have his two books on fortifications and siege warfare, but have failed to read them, oops. 'The Army of Frederick the Great' looks like a must, too, And 'Instrument of War', and...

      Delete
  2. I have seen others of late highlight this Duffy book. I think I need to add to my shopping list. Duffy writes a good narrative. I have many of his works and enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I was late to the party with the Von Browne book, thanks to David Crook for making me aware - you may have seen his post. This is a nicely-produced edition, I would recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Love that Duffy volume, one of my faves. I also picked up a copy this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to become a favourite of mine, too!

      Delete
  4. It is a great read, In my university days I used to borrow it periodically for a read as well as Rothemberg’s “The Military border in Croatia “ . I must see if it is still in the sale...
    I am glad to see your painting progressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how sometimes a favourite book can be one you never actually owned. If you want to finally get it, this is a nice edition. Painting is slow, but we'll get there!

      Delete
  5. hmmm, 1705-1757.... 1757....illustrious soldier and General but rather missed most of the 7Yrs War it would seem. Still, he was there for the beginning and one of the most famous battles in Old School wargaming and anyway I've long preferred the War of Austrian Succession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, he is perhaps 'Not Quite the Seven Years War', to borrow a phrase! I'm coming to this quite fresh, and I think I agree the Austrian Succession is going to be equally interesting. It's all one period really, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. A prolific chap, Mr Duffy. I have his books on Austerlitz and Borodino and have read his tome on the '45 (the latter also being generously provided with maps, with detailed maps for every leg of the Jacobites' march South even when there were no significant actions on that stretch). The biography of von Browne sounds fascinating, but I have so many Napoleonic-era books waiting to be read (partly as a result of that same sale!) that I daren't let myself get tempted too much by other periods just at the moment. I see that Duffy has written a book about Suvorov's campaign in Italy/Switzerland during the War of the Second Coalition that might well find its way onto my reading list, at least if I can get it for less than the £68 Amazon is currently showing for it. You did well for £20 I must say.

    Funny to see a book included in the bibliography as a warning against buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Military Experience in the Age of Reason is another classic in the same period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peter, I agree with you. When I first got the 7YW figures I looked at my bookshelves and remembered I had that book, and it made a really nice introduction for me!

      Delete
  8. Cheers Dave, there are so many books out there, you can't read them all! Glad you picked up some bargains in the sale, too. But maybe Duffy won't displace Chandler when it comes to Napoleonics?
    I think there's a spirit of (relatively) youthful playfulness and showboating in this book, which was his first publication. The bibliography entry reminds me of 'This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down - and avoiding'...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the reminder of the new edition of Duffy's book. One for the shelves, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you for dropping by, Keith! Yes the book is thoroughly recommended. By pure chance I have had another lucky find this week. See my next post...

      Delete