Friday 9 August 2024

Fnurban #33 : A Fine Day at Duxford

Until last week, I had never been to IWM Duxford - I'm really not sure why, given that the childhood  me was pretty much obsessed with aeroplanes, having picked up Biggles in Borneo from the mobile library that visited our village school, aged about eight. That was the first of many such books that I positively devoured in the next two or three years.. 

Recently an old friend of mine suggested visiting Duxford, and I thought 'why not' - it's only about an hour's drive from home, so an easy journey.  Well, we got there about 10:30, and were still there pretty much when the place closed at 6pm - clearly there was plenty to see!  I'll include a selection of the (probably far too many) photos that I took during the day. 

The displays are divided between several different sheds and halls, plus a number of aircraft parked outside. We visited most, but not all, areas - first up was the 'Flying Aircraft' sheds. As the name makes obvious, these are the hangars for aircraft which are in flying condition. This was very interesting, as several of the aircraft were being worked on, with engine covers etc removed - best example of this was the Gloster Gladiator:

does this bloke have a dream job, or what?
 

As I've said in a previous post, I've long been fascinated with the defence of Malta 1940-1942, so it was great to see a Gladiator - and it's clearly able to fly, so might see that one day too! 

There were no less than three of the Curtiss Hawk family : a P-36, a Curtiss 75 in French markings, and a nice  P-40C 'Tomahawk' undergoing maintenance.


 Also a P-47 Thunderbolt - it's a big brute of a machine, I'd quite like to see that flying. 

One point that really struck me about the 'flying condition' section  was the sheer number of Spitfires!  When I was a child, I remember going to an air display at Rochester airport where the star attracton was a Spitfire Mk IX  (painted as 'Johnnie' Johnson's 'J-EJ', just like the Airfix kit!)  which was thrilling to see, and I'm pretty sure was billed as either the only flying Spitfire, or one of just  two or three in the world. . Fast forward several decades, and if you'll excuse the poor  picture composition,  on a random day at Duxford you can chance upon a hangar  like this: 

 

Ok, so that's a Mustang at the back, but I can count 4 'Spits' here, and we'd already seen several in previous rooms. I suspect Duxford could now muster a squadron of them! Interesting how the restoration of vintage ( and especially WW2 ) aircraft has become a small industry - and I am told that owning one will cost you a few million.  Perhaps there was always  a demand waiting to be met, once restorers worked out that the task was practicable?   

Of course there is a 'Battle of Britain' display - appropriate as Duxford was a Fighter Command sector station at the time ( home to Douglas Bader's wing ) and was also used for filming the 1969 movie. And of course, there is a Spitfire:

  

If I recall correctly, we were told that this particular Spitfire is a Mk.1 which actually flew from Duxford, force-landed near Dunkirk and was recovered from the sea decades later and restored.

Of course there must be a Hurricane, also: 

 

and from the other team, an Me 109E - which had force-landed in England during the battle, and been subsequently put on show around the country to raise funds for the war. 


.   The next building we visited was the American Hall, which displays a collection of US military aircraft from WW1 to the present day - and it's quite something! It's a very big space, but it is absolutely packed with aircraft:



As you can see they have a B-17 Flying Fortress in there, and a B-24 Liberator - I was interested to see those,as both types operated from the air station near my home ( RAF Sudbury as it was known ), the runways of which can still be seen today.  They were impressive, but I have to say they looked a bit small compared to some of the other exhibits! In the same hall there is a B-29 Superfortress - significantly bigger - but even that is dwarfed by the B-52 Stratofortress, which is simply huge, and I suspect the Hall may have been effectively built around it!  You can see the cockpit windshield, one wing and a couple of its eight engines in the first picture, but there was just no way to get a view of the whole aircraft, it's too big! .  I rather loved the juxtaposition of the SPAD from  1917 with the F-4 Phantom and the B-52 - the development of American air power in one picture.  All sorts of other aircraft were packed in there: P-47, P-51, B-25, C-47, F-111,  F-15, A-10, to name a few, and not forgetting the SR-71 Blackbird.  Quite something to see! 

Not to be outdone,  the history of  British aviation is of course represented, in the other big hall named 'Airspace'. We were running out of time by this point, but here's an idea if it: 


 Yes, that is a Concorde at the back - and the rear end of a Sunderland in the middle. Lots more to see here. Fro now, there's one more really 'big bird' to show - the Handley Page Victor 


 I gather this has been a major restoration project in recent years (though I suspect not to flying condition), and it is currrently parked in its own hall in the Airspace building - this is quite a surreal experience as one wanders into a truly huge 'room',  in which a pretty  huge aircraft only takes up a small proportion of the space. And because there's nothing else in the room,  there's nothing else to give you a sense of scale - it all feels a little unreal. Amazing to see it, though, and I wonder how it is going to be permanently displayed. 

Finally a few more gratuitous plane pics from the 'old and interesting' categories :  going back to Biggles, I was pleased to see several aircraft from 1914-1918.  A Bristol Fighter, for instance :


 ..and a Be2 : another example of decades of history in one  picture, with the Hawker Hunter and Tornado behind!

.   


And from memory, we also spotted an RE 8,  and a DH 9 - and there was a flying replica Fokker Triplane!  

Slightly more modern now : I had never seen one of these in person before.  MiG 21 'Fishbed', a surprisingly large 'plane. I think this was formerly with an Eastern European air force of the Warsaw Pact era.    


  

And not forgetting the goings-on outside the static exhibition halls - I thought the (almost constant) comings and goings of flying aircraft added an extra dimension (quite literally!) to the day. There were modern light aircraft visiting,  there were 'joy-rides' available ( I think ) from a Tiger Moth, a DH Dragon Rapide, and the two-seater Sptifire - I presume at a corresponding range of prices! Also  a varying selection of interesting aircraft tantalisingly lined-up on the grass, some of which obligingly took to the air - and it seemed to be obligatory for any vintage fighter plane to complete its flight by a low-level pass to 'beat-up' the airfield! In between halls, it was great to just stop a minute and see what was flying, and at all times the 'sound effects' were great!   Getting pictures of these - neccessarily distant and often fast-moving - proved not to be easy, but some of them stood still for the camera.

Given the local connection, it was great to see the B-17 'Memphis Belle' parked on the apron: 

 

And last but not least, with apologies for picture quality, here's a snapshot from the varying line-up of aircraft waiting their turn for a spin - nice juxtaposition of 'old enemies' now flying together :


 ( and yes, for the real nerds that is one of the ex-Spanish  Bf 109s with a Merlin engine..)

Well, now I think I may be said to have 'entertained us long enough', perhaps I'd better leave it there. As you can tell, that was a great day, and there's more to see - a whole hall of 'Land Warfare' which will no doubt be of interest(!), and all those British 'planes to have a proper look at, for example. Good job we took out annual membership... the plan is to go back fairly soon, while the weather is still good and the flying condtion aircraft are still active. So, watch this space.

In the meantime,  'in other news' so to speak, I was lucky to be invited to take part in another of Jon Freitag's remote games, this time the ECW battle of Cheriton, where I played to role of Sir Arthur Haselrige, no less. Jon will no doubt publish one of his excellent battle reports soon; in the meantime as a taster here is a picture he passed around after the game     

Cheriton 1644 : infantry contest the South Spur
 

The figures are ( I think )  30mm scale, and look lovely - and Jon was in constant danger of injuring his hand on the pikes!  I can't say Sir Arthur exaclty covered himslef in glory, but it was a great evening's gaming and sparked some good discussions. Many thanks again to Jon and the other players! 

Apart from the above I have been doing a bit of painting, slow but sure progress, and will show off the results soon.  Meanwhile, keep well everyone. 


18 comments:

  1. Nice outing, although sadly planes are merely "aerial support" for the ground troops, so marginal interest! Be more interested in the ground bit of the museum. It's a long time since making a model plane which never turn out as nice as the stuff on the ground; I've been putting off my 1:100th Arab-Israeli aircraft for a while now!
    Cheriton. I think Jon uses the "large 28s" of various manufacturers - Renegade, Redoubt - that ilk
    I would have thought you would have an advantage, having played it before even if disguised?
    https://russetcoatcpt.blogspot.com/2022/11/return-to-kirchendorf-by-twilight.html
    Perhaps you know it TOO well.....☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I will be sure to get to the 'Land Warfare' hall on my next visit, and report back on that.. Good luck with the Arab-Israeli aircraft!
      Re: Cheriton I think you are right, Jon mentioned Renegade as the makers of at least some of his figures. You don't get to see much of their details over Zoom, but in the close-up pics they look great, as you see. Indeed I was interested given my previous plays - but of course there is a world of difference between a solo game and a 4-player contest!

      Delete
    2. Quite right, Neil! Mostly Redoubt and Renegade with a smattering of Bicorne, 1st Corp, and TAG. Figures are really closer to 30mm.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a brilliant day out David. Some great pics there. The thought of those aircraft buzzing around....brilliant. Duxford is one for my to do list I think.
    As for Monday's game. You do yourself a disservice. You were held back by my cautious generalship as Waller. I kept your right wing cavalry held back for a counter-attack that never came and encouraged you to be circumspect on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I would certainly recommend a visit!
      No worries about the Cheriton game, it was a good fun evening - but let's not give too many plot spoilers ahead of Jon's battle report!

      Delete
  3. Ah, that takes me back to sometime in the 1970's when we went for one of the airshows held there, that I can remember bits of, but the museum has changed beyond all recognition since then. Where I used to live the aircraft would form up over our village college before heading off to do their turn at the show. One day we were treated to a Spitfire and Me-109 doing a mock dog fight through cotton wool clouds, which was a sight to see as well as wonderful noise from the Merlin engine. Happy days!

    Our neighbour back then worked as a restoration technician at the museum but most likely he has retired now. Not a bad job indeed!

    The Shuttleworth collection is worth a visit, or used to be, and again memories of being a young kid and watching the planes fly at a display on a blooming cold day! We used to live near on of the British airbases that had all the 'V' bombers there and used to go and get a good view from a bridge over a railway line. Always an impressive sight and especially if they were taking off, which was pretty noisy as you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, happy memories indeed! I didn't get to Duxford as a kid, but I do remember going to Old Warden for the Shuttleworth Collection and loving that. I can only imagine what a V-bomber revving up would have sounded like!

      Delete
  4. Your aerodrome visit looks like a wonderful all-day adventure. Like you, I can spend quite a lot of time wandering around the various aircrafts. When I commuted to Seattle for work, my "Home" office was near Boeing's Museum of Flight (https://www.museumofflight.org/). Since I would stay several days at a time in Seattle, many evenings were spent wandering among the many aircraft. There is still a miniatures wargaming show hosted by the Museum of Flight. One of the prized positions to host a game is underneath the wings of the suspended SR-71.

    The Cheriton game was a good clash. Replaying with you fellas would be a fun exercise. I have yet to piece together a BatRep. Perhaps something I can tackle this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes it was a good day. The Boeing musuem must have been equally interesting, and a good compensation for having to work away from home. Gaming under the wing of an SR-71 is quite cool!
      Cheriton was great, thanks! I see you have put up your report now, I will comment. Certainly up for a replay!

      Delete
  5. Duxford is brilliant, both for aircraft and ground forces. Years since I've been though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, probably well worth another look... that American Hall looks fairly recent, you may not have seen that? I am looking forward to seeing the 'ground forces' on my next visit!

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to Duxford for 28 years, strange I thought it was relatively recently! Before that I went just after they'd extended the runway to get concorde in, definitely looks like fun, I live down the a10 in Hertford and spitfires from I guess Duxford aren't that unusual to see which is nice!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, sounds like you might like to go there, I suspect it has been enlarged considerably since you last visited! Quite an easy visit for you, too.. Nice to see Spitfires on a regular basis!

      Delete
  7. Great pics of some really neat planes. Sounds like a good day. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, indeed a good day, and I am going back next week!

      Delete
  8. What a superb day out. Such a marvellous collection. Beaut piccies, thank you.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you vety much James, glad you liked the pics! I have since been back again, and will show some more photos in the near future..

      Delete