Thursday 26 November 2020

Solving the Housing Shortage

The usual issues of Time and Space have meant that the battle at Rahden remains in hiatus - impatient grumblings may be heard from the troops confined to their storage box.  I hope to return to that very soon, but in the meantime a small diversionary effort  may be in order - let's look at some scenery. There were a couple of approving comments on the buildings of 'Rahden' that featured in the game, so I thought I'd show you them here. 

Keen-eyed readers will have noticed that none of  the previous 'Portable Seven Years War' battles have involved villages or towns - because I had no buildings in the right scale. Or so I thought:  but casting around for scenery for the town in my recent game, I remembered a few likely models acquired from The Works - I think they were sold as Xmas table decorations, at about £3 each. 



 I think they look suitably Central European. 

They needed some colouring, though. Being anything but a skilled painter, and also being in a hurry, I went for an extremely simple scheme - starting with thinned PVA as a sealer, then just a red/brown or grey roof, and white or buff walls, and a grey-brown base. 


Keeping the paint quite thin allowed the etched details of roof tiles, doors and the the clock on one of the houses  to show through, and the  simple overall effect seems in keeping with the generally nostalgic feel of my Seven Years War setup.  They bring to mind Charles Grant's home-made Germanic-looking buildings, as featured in his 'The War Game' and 'Battle - Practical Wargaming',  images imprinted on my mind since childhood. I couldn't really do anything else, could I? 

As you've seen, they were ready in time to play the role of 'Rahden' in the recent game, and looked fine, to my eyes.  I think they may see plenty more action. 

Finally, I should also show their special extra feature - not sure if it will ever be used in a game: 


Night actions, perhaps?  

I don't know if they are still available from The Works, but I think I've seen similar things in other gift/general merchandise type shops ( a shout-out to Roys of Wroxham, for East Anglian readers!), and it's the right season.. I'll take a look in my local branch once they re-open, as I think we are promised for non-essential shops in England next week. A couple more houses could be useful. 

Next time, back to the battle.  Meanwhile keep safe and well, everyone. 


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! It's surprising what turns up in shops, that 'might be useful one day'!

      Delete
  2. Those buildings are very effective David, a good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT! I think they are just right for the generally simple, 'old-school-ish' setup.

      Delete
  3. These have come up really well. I have one awaiting painting which I may add to having seen your post. I look forward to seeing them fought over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I suspect it may have been a recent post from you, mentioning shopping at The Works, that reminded me of these in the first place!

      Delete
  4. Excellent idea - I have the church but not these others from a Christmas or two ago - never thought of painting it.
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/25/happy-christmas-from-man-of-tin/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I liked the way the detailing can show through a thinnish coat of paint, best of both worlds. Though I admit the 'buff' paint I used for a 'stone' effect turned out to be pretty much the same as the underlying wood, so I could have maybe not bothered with that :)

      Delete
  5. Still sold by mail order The Works
    https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/wooden-crafts/mini-light-up-decorative-wooden-house---assorted/5052089250291.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing the research! They are not bad for £3, I'd say - I may have to get some more.

      Delete
  6. They look awesome. The fact that they light up is also very cool, although I'm not sure many village dwellings of the mid-18th century would have been lit with blue and pink lights ;-) . With a few bits of blackened cotton wool stuck on I imagine the lights might very effectively portray a building on fire if that's ever something you need to show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, excellent idea about the lights and 'burning' buildings.. I agree the coloured lights are more suited to 21st-Century Essex houses at Xmas, tee hee!

      Delete
    2. I still want to know why you removed that little tree from in front of the church though, that was a nice touch I think. Or do you have enough other churches that you can possibly create a forest from them all?

      Delete
    3. I have to admit - it just broke off! It does make it a bit more convenient if you want to place some troops on the base, I guess. Good idea though, I could stick the tree on a new base and add it to my woodland terrain..

      Delete
  7. Very nice MDF buildings - great models David- well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - I am pleased with them, they have a suitably Charles Grant / Young & Lawford sort of look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All been said but... These are great! They look just the thing! A night action to be sure, with snow falling! A raid by light troops on a depot perhaps? Trying to catch the enemy off guard on Christmas Eve?

    ReplyDelete
  10. David -
    Night action! The building provide the sole illumination. Worth a try do you reckon? Those buildings look just the thing.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a good idea! Ross suggested something similar too, and it's making me think - I reckon a bit of 'Night before Xmas' fun is in order..

      Delete