Tuesday 7 September 2021

Charity begins - In the Library

The warm response to my last post helped make my decision, and so  I scooted back to the British Heart Foundation shop on Monday morning, made the appropriate donation to their funds, and  am now the proud owner of this rather nice book : 

This is volume II covering 1714 to 1760, so just the right period for me. Originally published 1941, this is a reprint from 1971, with the price printed on the inside dustjacket - all of £3.30 , 50 years ago - which I am told would be about £48 today, so quite a luxury item.  Lawson was an eminent artist as well as a military historian, and the pages are stuffed with his illustrations - no less than 220 of them in about 270 pages.  Page 1 gives a good flavour of what is to come : 

 

And here are  few more pages taken fairly randomly to give an idea of the contents. Chapters on Infantry of George I and II,  Marines,  Scots  in both British and foreign service, Cavalry ( including saddlery, colours and standards ) , Artillery and Engineers, Militia and Volumteers, Hanoverians, 'and many, many more'.. 

 

It really must have been a labour of love...  

There are only a couple of colour plates - both showing musicians,  rather fine too.


I love the syle of the whole thing, and there is a serious amount of information too. I had not really considered a British element to my 7YW forces, but of course one gets tempted when looking through this. I wonder if a mercenary Scots or Irish unit might be added? Or perhaps a Hanoverian contingent? 

It also has that essential element that my partner summed up so well :  'it smells of old book'..

Keep well, and safe, everyone. 





15 comments:

  1. Looks like a useful and interesting resource. Are you on the hunt for the other three volumes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, indeed I am pleased to have got it! Not actively looking for the others, but I think I might be tempted by the first volume ( 1660-1714 ) if it turned up..

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, I am very pleased with it. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Love the smell of old books. Musty…mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sniffing it now... quality acid-free paper, mind you, it has not yellowed at all. A luxury item!

      Delete
  4. A great find! I look forward to seeing His Britannia Majesty’s Army making an appearance on your blog. Complete with kettle drummer and all the lace 😉

    [whistles Garryowen to self]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes a lucky find! I think osme British visitors may appear on campaign eventually. I'm sure the lace just looks like a bit of white at battlefield distance.. (do I hear cries of 'sacrilege!' )

      Delete
  5. A good decision. The section on the War of 1812 in...probably the next volume..was about the only source I had for Canadian unifoms back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ross, your memories of poring over these books in the library helped me make my decision!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, that's a splendid book. I am pleased that you were 'talked into it' by your the blogosphere!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks James, indeed it's nice to have a lot of expert advisors on hand - the benefits of blogging! I'm glad I took their advice, it's a great book.

      Delete
  7. Worth buying for the smell of old book alone, Dave :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chers Dave, yes I have to agree.. It's a luxury book I must say, nice quality acid-free paper that has not yellowed in 50 years, quite apart from the interesting contents!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete