Sunday 5 September 2021

Bank Holiday Bodging, and Books, Books, Books

 


What to do with a dull, overcast Bank Holiday Monday, at the end of the dullest, most overcast   August? Well, given those conditions I felt very little guilt about staying indoors at my desk and working on some of the model kits in the 'plastic pile'.  After rather too many hours, I have at least completed the build of the above two : the Puma armoured car acquired the other  week, and the 'Wespe' self-propelled gun, bought about this time last year (oops!).  I'll admit it was quite a challenge. Most of the kits I have built previously were by Armorfast or Plastic Soldier Company, and very simple to assemble - for example  the suspension usually being moulded as one piece per side, just cement it to the hull in one operation. Not so these - for the Puma, each wheel assembly  had 3 parts to put together before cementing to the hull,  and of course there are no less than 8 wheels.  Doubtless all this is great fun for dedicated modellers for whom the painstaking build is the whole point, but of course I just want to get something more or less recognisable onto the gaming table, ASAP! Factor in a surprising number of very tiny parts ( e.g headlights and smoke grenade projectors ) and my pudgy fingers and middle-aged eyesight, and the time and frustration increased many-fold!   A lesson learned, and I may be looking harder at resin-cast or 3D-printed models in future. I have the  M7 Priest to build next - with 116 parts, to the Wespe's 54 and Puma 69, it may be a long haul!   But at least the above two are built, and can now be painted, ready for action. I like them both, and was surprised by how compact the Wespe turned out to be. Of course the chassis was that of a Panzer II, so I should have realised it would be relatively small.  The Puma rather dwarfs it!  

Another project that has been ongoing far too long also came to fruition - a second unit of Austrian Cuirassiers for the Seven Years War.  Work on these  started  while sat in the garden  on a sunny day - in February! It's been a funny old year. I think most of my limited hobby time was used (as it probably should be ) on gaming, so painting took second place, and the Prussian infantry primed at the same time as these remain resolutely uncoloured ( like a regiment on some sort of 'punishment parade' in their underclothes!), looking at me balefully from a shelf.  I am going to try, now, to have a regular 'hobby hour' ( or half-hour might be more realistic ) and get on with painting and modelling for at least some of that time.  A strange side-effect of the pandemic is that despite working from home and not having to commute, work and domestic 'stuff' seems to take more time than it did before - I can't explain that.    These chaps won't win any prizes, of course, and the dry brush and 3-layer highlight remain unknown in these parts, but given aforesaid fingers/eyesight combination and a lifetime of manual incompetence ( school metalwork classes still a traumatic memory ),  I'm quite pleased with them. One advantage of solo gaming is that no pesky opponent is going to pick up the figures and look at them too closely - they will always be seen at 'battlefield distance'.  

 

 

Somehow, more books can always be acquired - a week's 'staycation'  resulted in visits to Bury St. Edmunds and Woodbridge, both of which boast  Oxfam bookshops. Thus the above two for under a fiver altogether.  Gary Sheffield will be known to many readers, as he is not only a military historian by profession, but also a hobby wargamer - a semi-regular opponent of Bob Cordery, for example, and I've heard him guesting on both  Henry Hyde's 'Battlechat'  and Al Murray's 'We Have Ways' podcasts. I've started his book, and it promises to be worthwhile - he begins by outlining the rather simplistic 'Lions and Donkeys' view of 1914-1918 handed down to most of us, and no doubt aims to challenge those ideas.  'The Full Monty' has potential, too - I have only a rather superficial idea of him, and this promises to give the back story, since it covers his life up to 1942 - the making of the man, so to speak.


Finally, one that I didn't actually buy, but was interested to see , in a charity shop in Sudbury this very afternoon.  C.C.P. Lawson's 'Uniforms of the British Army' - volume 2 of 4.  Originally published in 1941, I think, and this looks to be a 1970s reprint.  It features many rather charming sketches by the author ( himself an artist, I gather ), and it does appeal, given its 'old school' connotations - I bet Peter Young would have had a copy in his library.  Someone at the charity has done their homework, though, and the asking price is £14 - which to be fair looks about what you'd pay on Abebooks. Does it need 'rescuing', and to be 'given a good home', do you reckon?  

 It must be time to get back to some gaming, soon,  perhaps that should be the subject of my next post. Meanwhile, keep well, and safe, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Ah plastic model kits! How I hated those stupid tracks that would stay glued and melted in odd ways if I tried to do the weld thing. I discovered Armourfast a few years ago. Typical kit has something like 5 or 6 pieces or prefabricated components and they are ch...mhh..inexpensive with 2 to a box.
    https://armourfast.com/

    Nothing wrong with the cuirassiers that I can see.

    A library I used to use had a few of the Lawson books, possibly in a no lend section or else I didn't have a membership, might have been a university library, anyway, spent hours reading through and making notes. Great books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ross, indeed I agree Armourfast are much more friendly! Sadly not a huge range, but I have a few, including the Valentine tank, an unusual choice. Plastic Soldier company also good, but more expensive and I rarely need three of every vehicle. The Revell kits have at least moved on a bit, the rubber tracks now have a clever method of linking ends with no need for heat or glue, so that was a help, anyway!
      As you will see, you are not alone in commending the CCP Lawson books. I am getting quite tempted..

      Delete
  2. The CCP Lawson books are packed full of info , I have the full set purchased years ago , they are a good buy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, it's good to hear advice from the experts! I liked the style of the book, was tempted but thought I'd better research it first. I am clearly going to have to go back to that shop..

      Delete
  3. The Lawson is well worth rescuing. Well done for tackling the tank, sounds awful. I don’t think l have the dexterity or inclination for such a task. The Cavalry have turned out well and I look forward to seeing them in action soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. It wasn't too bad, just bit frustrating trying to manoeuvre tiny components, and a heart-stopping moment when I nearly lost one of the Puma wheels!
      I am pleased with Cuirassiers; I think I have found a style that suits my abilities and the figures. They will indeed be in action soon, I hope.
      Meanwhile I am may be heading back to that shop for the Lawson book quite soon, I think!

      Delete
  4. I recently made a kit up for my VSF project and it was the first time I’d used plastic cement since assembling a matchbox two colour JU188 back in about 76 I think. The smell was very evocative. Don’t stress so much about the complexity of future builds, the results so far have been very pleasing and I’m use you’ll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi JBM and thank you - and yes, the smell of the cement is very nostalgic ( 'Proustian', even?). After a while I had to open the window - as kids, were we a generation of inadvertant glue-sniffers?!
      I got there in the end and was pleased with them, will try the M7/Priest next. I'm sure practise will make, err, maybe 'less imperfect'!

      Delete
  5. You’ve bought some excellent book … but I have nothing but sympathy for your kit construction torment! It’s one reason why I prefer good old Minitanks. If you want slightly larger models, Amourfast and Italieri fast build kits are great simple models that go together quickly and can be modified quite easily.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Bob - I had not thought seriously of Minitanks, will have to look out for some! Very evocative for those of us who started with Charles Grant 'Battle'. I have tried and liked Armourfast, but not Italeri yet. I got these done OK in the end, and I have at least supported my local model shop!

      Delete