Wednesday 6 April 2022

I couldn't walk away..

Shopping at our local supermarket a few days ago, I took a quick look at the charity bookstall near the exit, It's usually 99%  trashy novels,  but every so often something interesting comes up - and lo and behold...


Last year we visited some 'senior' friends, and  Lawrence of Arabia came up in conversation. One of our  friends  ( who is now in his 80s ) said 'When I was a child, I knew a man who knew T.E. Lawrence'. Interesting in itself,  but when I asked who the mutual friend was,  he replied  'he was called Basil Liddell Hart'.  Imagine my surprise:  it turned out that Liddell Hart was a friend of our friend's family - indeed our friend remembered,  aged 7 or 8,  playing Croquet with Liddell Hart! It's not recorded who won, though I fancy he said Basil wasn't actually very good at croquet tactics..  I've never tried reading Liddell Hart, but remembering that conversation, I could hardly leave this book on the stall. 

Not only that, but also  this  rather nice old volume :

 

'Imperial Services Library, Volume VI', no less: published 1963, with illustrations by the author. The gentleman seems to have  produced a whole series of similar books ( 'A History of the Regiments and Uniforms of the British Army' etc ) ; this one is described as 'not only a history of every regiment which was first formed in London, but it also describes the uniforms they wore'.  It makes a point of including volunteers , militias and territorial untits,  not just regulars. Rather nice illustrations, too, both  monochrome sketches and colour plates, like this: 


  

Now I freely admit, this may not be a 'reader', rather a 'pick up and browse now and again' book, but at the very least the pictures are rather fine.   The various volunteer units look interesting and unusual, too - they may tempt me to read properly.   I have a very bad habit of being unable to stop myself 'rescuing' literary waifs and strays like this, so I couldn't walk away, could I?  They were in need of  a good home -  and   I  would assume  these two volumes must have come from the same collection, so it would be a shame to part them, wouldn't it?   So I laid paid the princely sum of 50p each, and here they are.  Two more for the reading backlog - when I retire ( which may be coming up sooner than previously  expected ), I may just turn into Mr Bennet, rarely leaving my 'library' and being very happily lost in books.  Keep safe, and well, everyone.

 
 


   

 

16 comments:

  1. You did the only thing a charitable person could have done. We must all do our bit to help abandoned books.

    I was listening to James Holland on We Have Ways of Making You Talk recently, and I’m sure I heard him say that, after the War noted German croquet player, Heinz Guderian, told Liddell Hart that he owed it all to Basil’s pioneering work. I may have got some of that wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm afraid I am the literary equivalent of one of those dotty old dears who adopts all the stray cats in the neighbourhood!
      I fear Basil's tactic of bypassing the hoops and leaving them to be 'mopped up' by the following player may not have been so successful..😀

      Delete
  2. I would have done likewise and saved the Hart book from the trash bin. Hart's "Strategy, An Indirect Approach" should be on every wargamer's bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, that sounds like a recommendation we should all take heed of..

      Delete
  3. It was Kismet that brought those orphan tomes to you. Well done to accept what fate had bestowed. Having just gone into early retirement myself, I can heartily endorse the idea of time well spent in the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, yes I do rather feel like I have rescued them, now I need to pay them the courtesy of actually reading. I think when the time comes, I will relish the opportunity to have some proper reading time!

      Delete
  4. Great book finds and a terrific tale. Started my day off very nicely, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you liked them. Looking at the pics of 19th Century volunteer\militia types, I thought this would be right up your street!

      Delete
  5. Hello old chap,

    Charity shops and boot sales are great places to find book bargains and as they are bargains fall beneath SWMBOs spending radar! The London book could provide some inspiration for an English based 18th century imagi-nation methinks….hint, hint..

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I agree with all you say. Charity shops etc can turn up some great stuff for very little cost, and I like the serendipity of it too. I think the English\Hanoverians will have to get involved eventually!

      Delete
  6. Well, it was your duty to rescue these poor homeless waifs from oblivion. Wasn't it? They both look like worthwhile additions to ant war gamer's library/ book collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I couldn't just let them get chucked away,and they will be worth the reading, I reckon.

      Delete
  7. My initial reference library c 1970 consisted of 1 volume of 'Funken's Les Armees et Uniformes de tous les temps' (or something like that) and 3 of Barnes' books. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great recommendation, thanks! I had not heard of the Major, even though we share a name ( sadly no relation, I think ). His book does look to be something of a treasure trove!

      Delete
  8. My paternal grandfather served in the RE in the Middle East during WW1, certainly in Iraq. He mentioned he had once seen Lawrence of Arabia. As a child of perhaps 9 or 10 I was full of questions. "What was he like?" I asked enthusiastically .
    "Little bloke on a camel" was the laconic reply......
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, nice story! The British soldier is never easily impressed..

      Delete