Wednesday 24 May 2023

Partizan - yes, I was there too..

..and you know what they said? Well, some of it was true...  Especially the part about it being a really good show -  with loads of great games and a good turnout of traders, in a decent venue with good facilities. All in all, a really good day out. 

I had never been to any 'Partizan' show before, and it was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment decision to go along, but I had the day free and decided the journey should be OK. It turned out to be just over 2 hours by car, so not too bad.  I didn't rush it, arriving at about noon ( I think the show opened at 10:00) to find a pretty busy hall. The attendance had clearly exceeded expectations, and they had run out of programs! As a result I just progressed around the hall taking in games and traders as they came up, rather than marking out specific targets to see - I don't think that mattered, though I think I did manage to miss one or two displays ( I seem to have blanked out the 'Lard Zone' area, not sure why, a shame as their setups always look great ).  

Overall impressions very good, as I said above, Not as big as Salute but that's no bad thing, and a much more pleasant, light and airy venue - with free parking right outside. A higher ratio of 'historical' games compared to Fantasy/Sci-fi etc than at Salute - and I thought that may have been reflected in the demographic of the punters, I'd say an older crowd than at the Excel last month. I had the feeling Fantasy etc were better represented in participation games than demo games - make of that, what you will.  I took a few pictures of some of the games I liked  : 

Westbury Wargamers :  Paraetacene  316BC

 
The Iron Brigade : Hopton Heath 1643

( that standard says 'Come Out You Cuckold'! )

 

Boondock Sayntes : Laswari, India 1803

the camels are coming..

Immaculate uniform - and a tray of chips!
Y
The Bayonets: fictional ACW 'December 1862' 

Eagles & Lions: Sherwood Rangers at Gheel, Sept 1944

This game  was clearly inspired by James Holland's book 'Brothers In Arms' (which is in my 'reading backlog' pile) which  has loads of detailed maps of actions the Sherwood Rangers tankers  took part in, including this one at Gheel. A great  source for a wargame scenario.

Sherwood Rangers tanks

The Bunker : raid on Entebbe

I loved the fact that the Hercules aircraft in the Entebbe game were not just there to look impressive, they were clearly units in the game, being moved around the taxi-way as I watched, and I think one of them was getting shot at by a T-34 tank!  Quite an ambitious setup, to say the least..

Also on a grand scale, the ever-reliable Simon Miller's  'To The Strongest'  Ipsus , which he says is 'quite feasibly the largest ancients game ever fought at a show'.  Can't fault his ambition, either: 


 
Look at those Pike phalanxes!

Forest Outlaws - Vellinghausen 1761 're-imagined'

 

Lovely 15mm 7YW figures

 

1st Corps: McPherson Ridge, Gettysburg


Glasgow Tradeston club: Lutter am Barenburg 1626

Nice to see the earlier 'Danish' phase of the Thirty Years War being gamed : and I liked the carpet tile scenery with cut-out river, simple but effective. 


Chesterfield Old Boys: 28mm AWI ( Springfield 1780? )

Barnsley Association: Death in the Snow, Finland 1939

Lincoln Miniature Warfare: With a Rebel Yell
 

The big spectacular games are great, of course, but I am also interested to see games which make me think 'I could do that at home', which was the appeal of the Lincoln group's game, on a simple hex terrain ( 12 by 9 hexes or so? ) which would fit many home tables. They were using the rules of the old 'Battle Cry' boardgame, which I think is related to 'Command and Colours' - again, keeping it simple. 

There were loads more games of course, it's just that I didn't get pictures of all of them, or failed to get good pictures! For some reason I completely bypassed the 'Lard Zone' which had several games using Too Fat Lardies rules, and of course they always have lovely terrain - I'm afraid you'll have to look at other blogs for those! One I can thoroughly recommend is Ray Rousell's Don't Throw a One  - he has more and better pictures than I do!  I had a good chat with Ray at the show, he had come up from 'down South' with the Posties Rejects crew - I think he said he was up at 4:30am to get to the show when it opened!  Very nice to chat with you, Ray!  I also got to meet Graham Evans aka Trebian, author of the excellent Wargaming for Grown-Ups blog, had a good talk with him and his Northamptonshire Battlefields Society crew - now I can put faces to some of the names in their game reports! Great to meet you guys, too.  Needless to say it seems almost everyone who is anyone in UK wargaming was there, I'm only sad that I didn't make the acquaintance of Norm Smith  or  Epictetus, or catch up again with Rob of The Eastern Garrison - all of whom were around and have put up their own reports of the show.  Maybe next time..

Of course there were also plenty of traders, tempting us all to spend our money; having not planned ahead very much, I hadn't made a big list, but I seem to have picked up a few things anyway: 

- WW2 vehicles and figures for my 20mm  'D-Day Dodgers' - a couple of Steyr Heavy Cars and a Lloyd carrier from the Rapid Fire guys,   PIAT and Panzershrek crews from Brittannia Miniatures  

- a pack of Hexon flocked single hexes from Kallistra, to slightly expand my potential gaming table

-  'A Mighty Fortress'  starter pack for WW2 Air Combat  from Tumbling Dice, with rules and some nice 1/600 B17, P51 and Me 262 models.  Me and air warfare games go back a long way ( thanks  to Mike Spick ), it should be fun to have a go at this one. 

Finally a rather lovely nostalgic bargain - a gentleman running a demo game under the name of 'The Hornsea Contempibles'  ( he admitted the 'Contemptibles' were just him!)  had a pile of old wargaming magazines for sale, very cheap, and I remembered I have been looking for Issue 35 of Miniature Wargames ( from 1986 ) for ages - lo and behold, there it was! So now, I have a complete run of issues 1 to 48, all the editions produced by Duncan MacFarlane before he jumped ship and set up Wargames Illustrated the following year. This is strangely pleasing to me...

The Holy Grail..

 

What's more, some other rather veteran mags were in the pile, and I couldnt resist:

..and some lovely bonus nostalgia
 

Blimey, Battle - before it was even for wargamers... Really interesting stuff - one of these has the very first 'Observation Post' column by Terry Wise - I think the teenage me caught up with it a few issues later. And Stuart Asquith's  Practical Wargamer is surely still worth reading? I only bought a few back in the day, I feel another collection coming on! 

So there we are; I stayed till pretty much the end at 4pm  ( as I left, I witnessed a dubious-looking crew making a final raid, on the ice cream stall :

cheers guys! )  

Thankfully it was a fairly easy drive home again, after an excellent day,  with loads of great games and fine people, 'tired but happy' pretty much summed up my evening - and with lots of new ideas and inspirations. There's another one in October, I gather, and I hope to be there. Meanwhile, thanks to all involved in the organisationof a great day, and  keep well, everyone.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day out for you, David! Say, is that Lee and Ray hovering around the ice cream stand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes a really good day. Lee and Ray? You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment 😀

      Delete
  2. Looks like a full and fulfilling day David. I had to laugh at ‘Battle, before it was even for wargamers’ 😆.
    Lots of great looking games. Agree about those carpet tiles!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes a very good day.
      The carpet tiles were rather good, the river was made by cutting the tiles to shape and just putting a suitably-coloured paper (wallpaper, I think) underneath for the river. Also the tiles were seconds, they told me, so cheaper - the canny Scots!

      Delete
  3. Super photos, David - I am happy for you to do my show-visiting for me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, glad you enjoyed it. Happy to be your proxy - Newark quite a long way from you, after all!

      Delete
  4. Glad you had such an excellent day. Thank you for posting the photos, most interesting to see. So glad you found your holy grail.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes an excellent day. I was particularly pleased to find those magazines - pure nostalgia !

      Delete
  5. Looks like everyone had a jolly nice day out. Am I sad for knowing the lyrics were from the Clash - London Calling. S’pose I just answered my own question. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted - though more 'Newark calling' I suppose. Indeed 'a jolly nice day out' sums it up!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for posting up the various Games In Progress David- good to view these as we don't have these types of events here very often. Good to find those nostalgic Magazines too. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you need to start your own show over there..?

      Delete
  7. Wishing I had made the effort now!
    I thought you made an interesting comment:

    "The big spectacular games are great, of course, but I am also interested to see games which make me think 'I could do that at home',"

    John Treadaway made a comment about not seeing "club night games" at a show - not sure if he meant the terrain or attitude, but some of it was about "display games".
    This is a bugbear of mine and one of the reasons I think twice about Partizan; I prefer Hammerhead 's ethos concentrating on participation games. I'm afraid I've never understood display games; very nice and a display of skill and talent but how representative are they of most people's games? At worst, there's a hint of elitism.
    I simply don't subscribe to the "very best of games" stuff which Partizan can be guilty of with the wargames "glitterati" on show.
    Most people don't have dedicated wargames rooms with sculpted terrain.
    Sadly, many are virtually the same game or use the same terrain or filled with vignettes that serve little purpose. There are games with huge castles or coasts with ships that overwhelm the figures which are almost an afterthought.
    I remember the buzz when they put on Mollwitz with the original Grant figures - why? Because it was different!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I think I agree with you. I think a big 'blockbuster' game can work, as long as it is a 'real' game that is actually playable. Simon Miller's games are very much participation affairs, despite their size, and that Entebbe one was interesting in that as I said, the big showy aircraft models really were being used in the game.
      I think 'club-night' sized games should indeed be at shows, though they should have decent terrain,figures etc and not look scruffy and strewn with drinks cans - they should inspire you to go and do something similar at home, I hope! Sadly I never seem to get time to do participation games, which is my loss, I suspect - I'm sure I would learn a lot.
      I really wish I'd seen that Mollwitz game!

      Delete
    2. I think Simon's games are very much the exception; lots are "look but don't touch" wheras his are 100% participation but with the display game look.
      The Entebbe game is Shaun from the Bunker - a mini wargames holiday centre that used to be in Newark - that was one of the regular games.
      Mollwitz was breathtakingly good! Seeing the Grant figures and buildings was inspiring. I spent most of my time just gawping or chatting to the late Stuart Asquith - a very nice man!
      Neil

      Delete
    3. I was not involved in the hobby when that Mollwitz game happened, only read about it later when I found Henry Hyde's magazine and downloaded back-issues on-line. I think reading those - and finding blogs - got me back into it! I spotted Henry at Partizan on Sunday, too.

      Delete
  8. It really was a good day and the Battle / Practical wargamer mags were a good find. The more that I am seeing other peoples pics, I think my fave table is falling on the McPherson Ridge game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes I was chuffed with those magazines! The McPherson Ridge game did look very good. For pure spectacle, I thought the 'Boondock Sayntes' Indian setup was the most colourful! ( but, see above comments about 'could I do this at home?' )

      Delete
  9. Grest post David. That ice cream was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, it was a good show, wasn't it? Not as many pictures here as on your page, though! Good to chat to you, and I think the ice creams were probably a good move before a long journey home!

      Delete