Sunday 30 July 2023

A Brush with Macedonians

In the past week or so I have been able to devote a little  time to painting figures, in particular my 1/72 scale Macedonians. These will make up a DBA 'army'  as a try-out for the Alexandrian period. I'm quite cheered by my progress, though I won't win any prizes for either speed or quality! 

I started with the cavalry, and have completed these :

Alexander's strike force ( if he played DBA )
 

In DBA terms, one stand each of Companions ( Kn) , Thessalian (Cv ) and Greek Allied (Cv) Cavalry. My first attempt at painting ancients since Airfix Ancient  Britains and Romans in  the 1970s  ( I think I still have the Brits, based for WRG 6th Edition, lurking in the loft somewhere), it's been an interesting experience. I thought the small numbers of each type would make things easy and quick  - but I have  realised that of course, most of the time is taken up with researching and thinking about how to paint them, and then while actually painting,  it's quite annoying mixing some paint and then only applying it to three figures!   Once you've set up and got a brush loaded, you might as well be doing  a dozen or more.. 

On the upside, I like the colour schemes, though I admit my version of  Macedonian purple may be a little stronger and brighter than Ancient dye-makers could have come up with!  The 'research' side is interesting too, in that there is really quite scarce  information to work with when it comes to 'uniform' details - where would we be without the Alexander Sarcophagus and the Pompeii mosiac? I relied mainly on  Osprey's The Army of Alexander the Great ( MAA 148 ) by Nick Sekunda and Angus McBride, which takes a quite rigourous evidence-based approach, and Peter Connolly's Greece and Rome at War  - but of course everyone is working from pretty limited evidence.  It's not like the 18th Century/Napoleonic period, where detailed descriptions and illustrations are available for any and every uniform, and I rather like that, it means everyone can make their own interpretation and use their own style.  No-one can really tell you how you got a detail wrong - they can't prove it! It reminds me of  ECW/30YW armies, which have a similar feel of non-uniformity and freedom to interpret. So these are my interpretation - let's hope Alexander isn't rotating too fast in his grave, wherever that may be. I've kept it very simple and within my limited skillset - block painting, with  a touch of Army Painter 'Light Tone' ( probably could have been stronger ) and a coat of matt acrylic varnish for protection.  Beginner level I know, but they will be fine on the DBA battlefield, I'm sure.  I did even manage to give a couple of them leopard-skin saddle-cloths, and was quite pleased with the (strictly impressionistic) results.  

Making a start on Phalangites
 

Encouraged by those results,  I've moved on to the Alexandrian 'signature dish' (!) - the Pike Phalanx. In DBA terms this is 4 bases each of 4 Phalangites ( Pk), so at least this time I have a decent batch of 16 figures to work with! On a rare sunny outdoor afternoon I made a start by giving them scarlet tunics - I really like the colour,  not sure why I have been avoiding the British in my Seven Years War armies.. Inspiration for this is a splendid picture in Peter Connolly's book, which highlights the many possible  variations in armour ( both metal and cloth spolas ), helmets etc. The HaT Phalangites are very nicely modelled and easy to paint - and maybe I'm gettimg my eye in a bit.

The Companions and the Thessalians are sporting the rather impressive 12-foot long xyston cavalry spear, and the Phalangites will of course brandish their even longer ( up to 18 feet ) sarissa pikes - HaT quite wisely don't try to model these, so how to proceed?   I remembered an idea which I think came from Graham Evans aka 'Trebian'  on his excellent Wargaming for Grown-Ups blog : so I went to a local hardware store, and equipped myself with this: 

Bristling with ideas..
 

Yep, a good ol' household brush,  with tough plastic bristles - I had to measure it carefully before buying, though, to make sure they were at least 3 inches (  18 feet in 1:72 scale ) long! They have worked admirably, they even fitted perfectly in the pre-moulded holes in the HaT figures' hands. Of course they may suffer from paint-shedding if handled too roughly, but I'm going to try a final coat of  clear PVA glue just on the spears and pikes to stiffen them up a bit. Fingers crossed!

Now I just have to keep up the routine of 'painting hour' to push on with these - after the Phalangites there are bases of Prodromoi Light Cavalry, Thracian Peltasts / Hypaspists , Greek Hoplites, Javelin men and Archers. Maybe I can put them into larger batches when it comes to applying common colours, to speed things up.  And then there's the Persians, which should be really interesting, madly colourful, and are probably even less well-documented! 

More figures next time, I think - I have made an interesting 'old school' purchase, but I've rambled on long enough for now. And I feel a 7YW Portable Wargame battle coming on.. So until then; keep well, everyone.                               

14 comments:

  1. Good to see you able to devote some time at the workbench, David. You may have a dip into an ACW game soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I wish I could maintain anywhere near your work-rate. I look forward to some ACW action!

      Delete
  2. I confess I find Sekunda a bit dogmatic in his attempts to give units a uniform; the Persian volume is even worse! Far too much purple and yellow.
    I prefer Duncan Head although sadly it lacks colour illustrations.
    I think the Alexander Mosaic is a reasonable guide for inspiration.
    From research, it seems they were more fond of "pastel" colours than we think, with pinks and light blues being common .
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I see what you mean, by relying on only a few sources it can all get rather dogmatic, and the concept of 'uniform' may indded not have existed - though you might imagine someone like Alexander might be quite particular about how his elite units were dressed? But again, all just my interpretation! For the Greek allied cavalry the Osprey book simply said there was little or no evidence, which gave me license to make something up.
      The Persian book is indeed pretty wild, and I agree it seems unlikely that huge Persian hosts would all be in purple and yellow.. I am on the lookout for a copy of Duncan Head's book ( I have the 'Imperial Rome' equivalent). I rather like the idea of the pastel colours - slightly counter to modern ideas of macho soldiers! The Prodromoi will certainly feature rose-coloured cloaks.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like two nice armies are on the cards. I have seen the bristles being effectively used, they should look really good …. I do like Persian figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, indeed I am rather enjoying this, and the brush bristles are a really useful idea, with apologies to the poor denuded brush! Proper-scale pikes should look impressive, I think. Persians always make me think of Charles Grant 'The Ancient War Game' , which was a part of the motivation for this little project.

      Delete
  4. I never worry too much about colours as after such a period of time, how sure can we really be and based upon what evidence etc? The figures look good (I block colour, wash and add a few higlights) and once based and on the table, will more than pass muster. Brush bristles a classic solution and the pva glue should help the paint adhere and reduce flaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, indeed at such a long distance in time, it's a matter of guesswork for everyone, and I think that is quite liberating! Thanks for kind words about my painting - I think they will 'do' fine.

      Delete
  5. They're looking good so far. If only such sets were available 50 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, yep back in the day I think the Airfix Napoleonic Cuirassiers suffered an awful lot of conversions.. I acquired a 1977 'Battle' magazine recently which had an article on that very subject..

      Delete
  6. Looking nice David. Funny to imagine Alexander as a DBA army commander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I think Alexander may have been unimpressed by DBA ( 'you call that an army?' ) - having been given the real thing to command as a boy. I wonder how he would have got on with Phil Barker?(!)

      Delete
  7. Very good start on your Ancients adventure.
    By the way, is this ‘brush’ reference in the post title your play to become the New Jolly Broom Man?
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I am enjoying this little project. No pretensions to compete with 'JBM' - and I have wondered how he got that handle..

      Delete