Monday 17 July 2023

The lure of Malta, and Spencer-Smith Saxons - finally

 I really must get back to a spot of painting, and maybe even gaming..was the sign-off to my last post here. Well, one out of two isn't bad.. I did manage to get behind a paintbrush or two this past week, of which more later. But I also got slightly led astray.. You see, as a child in the grip of an obsession with aeroplanes ( thanks to Capt. W.E, Johns, of course )  I picked up a little paperback book that made a huge impression.- Faith, Hope and Charity by Kenneth Poolman. Here is that very volume, which I have hung on to all these years: 

 

The story of the famous trio ( actually, maybe  there were four of them )  of Gloster Gladiators and the heroic defense of Malta from Italian and German air attacks from 1940 to 1942 ( it was the most heavily-bombed place on earth )  just grabbed my imagination, and I have never really forgotten it.  Several more books on the subject have joined my bookshelves since - I can recommned James Holland's Fortress Malta  as a really good modern telling of the story, with lots of eyewitness accounts. I also made it to Malta once, just on a ordinary package  holiday, but I remember managing to drag my friends to the museum in Valetta to look at the semi-restored airframe of the last survivor of those Gladiators - 'Faith'.  And then last week The Naval and Military Press came up with one of their special offers - 25% off WW2 books, in this case  - and I found something of a bargain. This is Fighters Over Malta: Gladiators and Hurricanes 1940-42  by Brian Cull and Frederick Galea, published in 2018. by Fonthill.  


 Now Mr. Cull has form in this area, with a string of books relating to wartime events on Malta to his name, ( many years ago I picked-up his earlier  'Malta: the Hurricane Years' and was pretty much amazed that someone had researched in such detail )  and Frederick Galea is a Maltese native and aviation writer, who is also hon. secretary of Malta's National War Museum Association, so we are in the hands of experts.  They have produced something of a doorstop of a volume, almost 500 pages ( in a small typeface too!) , covering the operations of Gladiator and Hurricane fighters defending Malta from June 1940 to April 1942. The text includes a very high proportion of extracts from personal diaries and journals written by those taking part, and I think that, combined with Brian Cull's mastery of the detailed history,  will make it especially interesting. You've got to salute a book that includes, among nine appendices, one that simply lists the serial numbers of all the known Hurricanes used on the island - I'm sure that will be extremely useful(!).   I am really very pleased with this book, now the only issue is the small matter of actually  reading it! I am thinking of a  'real-time' approach - given that the story is told strictly chronologically from  June 1940,  I hope to make a start now and read up to mid-July 1940, and then  every few days, read the account of the events of the same few days 83 years earlier. Only a few minutes each day ( or week ) should be  required - though of course I wouldn't then finish the whole book until April 2025!   Anyway, this is going to be something of a feast, I am very pleased to have acquired it. By the time I finish, I suspect there may be a companion volume on the Malta Spitfires..  I haven't really tried gaming this campaign,  though I do have the recent WW2 air combat boardgame Wing Leader, and I am pretty sure that has some Malta scenarios. Tally ho!

And the painting? Well, I am glad to say I finally finished painting a couple of Portable Wargame units of infantry, representing the  Friedrich August Regiment of the army of Saxony. These are the vintage Spencer-Smith figures gifted to me by Neil from the excellent Aufklarungsabteilung blog - I was really pleased to get them, but I will admit I struggled with painting them! A case of  'be careful what you wish for', perhaps?  I thought that their minimal detail would make them easier to paint, but in reality it seemed to be exactly the reverse, and I clearly didn't have the skills, steady hand or eyesight for the job.  I hit something of a 'wall' with these, but eventually managed to press on and finish them. Here they are - just don't look too closely!

                                                                      

I am still really very pleased to have these nice old figures in my armies, their distinctive pose is so evocative of the old-school games pictured in Charles Grant's The War Game .  I think I rather rushed into doing these, and I will need to think and plan a bit before doing the next batch, but I also think I learned some useful lessons which will help me do better in future. I think I need to do at least one, perhaps two  more eight-figure units for regiment Friedrich August, and I then hope to add another infantry regiment from Saxony, plus some cavalry.  In case you are wondering, the slightly wobbly black-lining was done with a fine-tipped pen from an art shop - luckily it proved to be waterproof when I gave them a coat of matt acrylic varnish - and I think the resulting delineation between colours,  especially the white and yellow in the uniforms, helped a bit. I hope  they won't fight any worse than other units when deployed on the table - and one advantage of mostly gaming solo is that no-one else is likely to get a very close look at them! 

Having more or less got back into a painting habit, I have also been picking at the first few of my HaT Alexandrian Macedonian figures - more of those later, if I can keep up the momentum. And surely some gaming must be in order: these Saxons need to take the field.  So,  watch this space, and until next time keep well, everyone. 

18 comments:

  1. David,
    Thanks for the endorsement! ☺
    I wouldn't feel too bad about the Spencer Smiths - I think you capture the essence of them when you say "I thought that their minimal detail would make them easier to paint, but in reality it seemed to be exactly the reverse". I think that encapsulates my love- hate relationship with Spencer Smiths!
    My first efforts are much worse than your Saxons; they are not even black lined! To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement.
    I spent a lot of time looking at the photos in Charles Grant's the Wargame to identify what made them iconic. There is a photo showing the roundshot stick in action (p60). What stood out was the black lines between areas and the gaitor buttons. That's when I hit on the black undercoat. It did take some time to identify the officer carried a sword in scabard (not unsheathed...) Or what some of the "blobs" relate to!
    As to Malta, well you can field a Matilda II and Mark VI light in "stonewall" camouflage to face off the planned Italo-German invasion fielding uparmoured panzer Is and KVIIs....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I am still really glad you gave me those figures, very grateful for them!
      Very good point about actually looking closely at the pictures in the Charles Grant books, too. I think on the whole I will be much more careful and thoughtful about these figures in future.
      Interesting 'what if' idea about a Malta invasion game. Supposing Mussolini had decided to try for a 'quick win' invasion in summer 1940..?

      Delete
  2. Hello there Mr B,

    Years ago, on a holiday in Malta, I went to a museum in Valletta that had, amongst other things, the airframe of one of the Gladiators (no wings) and the wing spar of a Stuka that was fished out of the Grand Harbour after having been shot down. I would be keen to look up that book - no doubt plenty of gaming inspiration and I have a personal interest in that my late Wellington bomber flying uncle Jim was stationed there after he was grounded.

    Love the Spencer Smiths and you are right about the whole ‘painting the detail’ thing!

    All the best old chap,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I think we were both looking at the same remains of a Gladiator - I recall my visit was in 1998.
      I think there is endless gaming inspiration there, with the emphasis on 'early war' aircraft types and the presence of the Italians to add variety.
      The Spencer-Smiths have been a definite 'learning experience' !

      Delete
  3. Gotta love the gladiator aincha. Lovely plane. I think Pat Pattle who was one of my RAF hero’s flew them and and there’s a good book about his exploits in the desert and in Greece if I remember right. Anywhoo, there’s nothing wrong with those figures you’ve painted by the way, they look ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, yes I certainly have the Gladiator 'bug', probably thanks to Malta.. Just looked at 'Pat' Pattle on-line, quite amazing! I knew the name but not the details. You are too kind about the figures, obviously I managed to blur the picture sufficiently..

      Delete
  4. Fine job on the figures, yellow and white being the two hardest colours to pull off in my opinion. The slightly cooler weather is helping the painting - I hope our friends in the hotter parts of the world are coping OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, very kind. You did warn me about trying to do white and yellow! Have got my eye on a regiment with pale blue facings next. The cooler weather here has has meant I have stayed inside more, good for painting - I don't envy southern Europe, USA etc right now.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the Malta book. Good idea to read it in ‘real time’. Never been there myself. Was tempted too after reading Ernie Bradford’s book on an earlier siege, what with the Early Modern fortifications, but never made it.
    The Spencer Smiths remind me of a Prussian fusileer I painted as a lad - they had yellow facings, turn backs etc too. I thought they cut a dash until someone at the club said they looked like sweets!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - I mustn't dive into the Malta book 'full-time' because I have to press on with your loan of 'By Force of Arms'! Malta is an interesting place - I went expecting a typical quiet Mediterranean island, not realising that there are over 300,000 people living on a piece of land 9 miles long! Very interesting though, and I remember the Grand Harbour and fortifications around Valletta were really impressive.
      I like the yellow facings - indeed they do look rather 'chocolate soldier' but I like having something a bit different. And they really did exist, after all...

      Delete
  6. Love the old school Saxons, splendid fellows marching with grim determination across the table top…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I hope they will march to victory! I do like that Spencer-Smith marching pose, and it's a lovely bit of nostalgia.

      Delete
  7. Super figures. They look charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, they were a bit of a struggle but turned out ok - just about! Indeed there is a nostalgic charm about them

      Delete
  8. Your Spencer-Smiths look first rate. They certainly emote Old School to me. I would enjoy a stop-over on Malta too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, those figures have been an 'interesting' exercise! Malta is worth a visit, what with all the history ( don't forget the Ottoman siege as well ) but don't expect peace and quiet and no-one else around!

      Delete
  9. Spencer-Smiths always have a major nostalgia impact - well done. I'm sure you mentioned this before, but are these chaps plastic or metal SS's? As for the 4-piece trio of Maltese Gladiators, perhaps they were Faith, Hope, Charity and Mildred?

    I owned exactly one Biggles book as a kid; it was a WW2 one with Spitfires - don't ask me the title - no-one ever mentioned the fact that Biggles must have been getting on a bit as a Spitfire pilot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, yes great nostalgia. Most of the figures are plastic ( therefore quite old!), but the officer and drummer are metal.
      Re; the Gladiators, I think there were actually 4, but at the start only 3 were used at a time so that's what the population saw, I seem to remember that 'Pip, Squeak abd Wilfred' and 'Freeman, Hardy and Willis' were suggested by various RAF types, but with the religious character of Maltese society 'Faith Hope and Charity' stuck. Not sure how long the 3 or 4 actually lasted, I guess the book will tell me.
      Indeed Biggles went on and on, I think Johns was still writing ( contemporary ) adventures for him in the 1960s, and the character would have been about as old as the century. But I suppose a 40-year-old Spitfire pilot might not be so very unlikely - 'age and guile' etc. Douglas Bader was 10 years younger than that, mind - and he was regarded as pretty old! Aged 10 or 11, I loved Biggles and read loads! I think the original 'Camel Squadron' ones were probably pretty good, written from actual personal experience.

      Delete