Wednesday 7 February 2024

Calling up the 'West Suffolks'

I've been sadly neglecting my 'D-Day Dodgers' Italian Campaign min-project recently, so I thought it was high time I put in some more time on them.  Bob Cordery's The Portable Wargame gave me a nice introduction with his simple,  accessible rules - I will doubtless use them again, but for the moment I am looking to use Colin Rumford and Richard Marsh's  Rapid Fire Reloaded ruleset. I like their simplicity too, and they have the advantage of providing plenty of details on the organisation of scaled-down forces for all the main combatants.  So I am starting from there, with my first British infantry battalion. 

The 'RRR' booklet gives a nice suggested organisation for such a battalion, which looks like this : 

The above represents the 10th Highland Light Infantry,  and is used in the rulebook's example  scenario for Mouen, Normandy, 28th June 1944.   So I have borrowed it as inspiration for my very own 1st Battalion, West Suffolk Regiment. This of course is a distinguished senior regiment of the line, with many hard-earned battle honours from the times of Marlborough to Montgmery, all of which are stirringly recorded in the annals - of my imagination.  

Starting from the basis of the 'battle group' I put together for the Portable Wargame, which previously saw action at  Monte Lucedelsole  and Ponte Natale,  I have been making small acquisitions of additional figures and vehicles from traders at various shows in the last year or two - yes, I am one of those annoying folk who will approach a tradestand and buy just  one or two packs of two or three figures, or one vehicle! I should also mention the 'bring and sell' style tables at the Broadside show at Gillingham, which proved a good source of 'pre-loved' Bren carriers, Jeeps etc. 

new recruits - need to smarten up a bit

I've now had a proper sort through the various accumulated packs of figures and vehicles, and put them together in the organisation as suggested above - minus the Machine-Gun Company, which is not an integral part of the battalion.   

From the front  we have the Battalion HQ with its Bren Carrier, PIAT and Mortar team,  the Carrier Platoon with another Bren and PIAT team, the four Rifle Companies, and at the back the Support Company with Lloyd Carrier and 6-pounder AT gun, Bren Carrier and 3-inch mortar.   Figures are a right old mixture - the majority being my vintage 1970s Matchbox guys as previously seen, with PIAT and mortar teams from Brittannia/Grubby Tanks and SHQ. I didn't have quite enough Matchbox figures in suitable poses, thus the newly-recruited   'D' company's riflemen are good old Airfix 1970s WW2 British Infantry, which have been in the loft for several decades! Vehicles an equally polyglot bunch - two of the Bren carriers (probably Airfix ) were second hand, provenance unknown, the Lloyd Carrier a resin Ready To Roll  model from Rapid Fire themselves,  and the rather nice Bren Carrier which the battalion commander has 'baggsied' is by Disain Studio, and proudly proclaims that it is 'Made in Devon' - I think it is 3D-printed, which is a first for me!  I am entirely happy with this mix and match approach, I think it's fun to make use of the vintage stuff that I originally had as a child and give it a new lease of life, supplemented by some new aquisitions from - well, whoever I happened to find at SELWG, Broadside, Salute or Partizan! They all seem to go together pretty well. 

Now I have to get on with painting and basing the recent recruits as required, and then rustle up some suitable opposition - the core of which will be  nice  old 1960s vintage Airfix Germans, riding in a fleet of recently-acquired Steyr heavy cars and Opel Blitz trucks.   After that,  I think I can raise a lorried Indian battalion, with trusty Bedford QLs and doubtless some more Bren carriers.. 

 'In other news', as they say,  I was lucky to be included in the latest of Jon Freitag's remote games,  playing the ill-fated Roman Consul Flaminius in Jon's  table-top  re-creation of Lake Trasimene, 217BC. I'll won't give too many spoilers, and leave it to Jon himself to give his usual excellent battle report - suffice it to say it was a surprisingly close-fought and exciting affair!  Many thanks to Jon for a great scenario and for running the game so smoothly.  Also for this teaser picture, showing Flaminius and one of his  legionary Principes units ( lovely figures from Jon's collection, of course ) getting their feet wet - which may give you a clue as to the eventual result!   

 

Many thanks to Jon, and to fellow players Chris, Tony and Mark  ( aka  NundanketMS Foy and Jolly Broom Man ) for a great evening!  A re-match may be in prospect, with the sides reversed - I think Hannibal has it rather easier, let's hope it turns out that way.  Meanwhile, maybe it's time to run an actual game (albeit solo)  here - I am mulling over Seven Years War vs. Thirty Years War. Watch this space - or just 'follow' this blog, and it will pop up on your reading list.. Until then keep well, everyone.

 

18 comments:

  1. That looks like a good sized unit. About 50 figures for a regiment/battalion is very old school (I’m thinking Charge)
    I thought there was a W. Suffolk regiment until you mentioned ‘in your head’, but lo and behold there was such a unit. Initially 63rd Foot (founded in SYW) that merged with 96th to become the Manchester Regiment in the late C19th. Not as venerable as the Suffolk Regiment (12th).
    You and Mark did very well, pushing us Carthaginians all the way.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Chris, that's a good point about 'old school'. Rapid Fire uses a ratio of 1 figure to 15 men and one vehicle/gun to 5. That is really interesting about the 'West Suffolks - I had no idea there was a real unit!
      That was a great game, I look forward to the proposed rematch, and to Jon's report of the battle...

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see your reference to digging out your old toys - I too have recently painted up some Airfix "Infantry Combat Group" and first version German infantry which I have had since I was a child in the 60s (although for Crossfire in my case). I look forward to reading more!
    Colkitto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Colkitto, glad you liked that. I have a few of the 'Infantry Combat Group' too, though not really enough for a proper unit. They may come in handy one day, though! And I have been very pleased to use the 1960s Germans. 'Crossfire' looks interesting, I have seen a bit on Youtube about it - Alan 'Duchy of Tradgardland' says he has recently bought those rules, it will be interesting to see how he gets on with them. I will report on my progress with the D-Day Dodgers..

      Delete
    2. Yes I noticed that he had picked up Crossfire and am also looking forward to reading more about that in due course. I have a slight sense that there's a bit of a revival going on, but maybe they never went away!

      Delete
    3. I have been watching Crossfire videos of how the game works. It looks as if it could have much potential in it. I will certainly post on it.
      I bought Rapid Fire Reloaded and am impressed by it. I look forward to your games using it…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Good to see your WWII project moving toward game-ready and to see that you are considering to host.

    I am happy you enjoyed game. I sure did. The battle was tough and the result could have been different. When the mist cleared, the situation almost exactly duplicated the historical result. I agree that it was a great game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I thought that British battalion would be an easy small project to get me back into the painting habit. But I'm very sorry I have inadvertantly misled you about 'hosting' - I have updated my post to add the crucial word 'solo'(!). Actually hosting a remote game like yours is way out of my league at the moment, sadly.
      Your game was great, thanks again! Interesting that indeed the result turned out quite similar to the historical outcome - proof of a good scenario plan!

      Delete
  4. A neat idea to use the RF guide for your West Suffolks. For my BKCII games it is often pretty easy to translate other rules and their OOB, which is of course very handy. I just wish I had all of my old Airfix and Matchbox figures, which I gave to my cousin in my late teens IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - Rapid Fire is very handy, they publish loads of unit OOBs for their rules and the figure/vehicle scales make them quite manageable to put together. I am rather pleased that my childhood stuff survived (mainly thanks to my parents indulgence and loftspace!) and it's fun to give some of it a new lease of life (in 'second childhood'?).

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading about your project progress David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, now I just need to get on with painting some of these!

      Delete
  6. Thanks David, good to see the Rapid Fire Reloaded booklets getting some exposure. I am creating two forces. I believe that that there are a couple of new booklets coming sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I will be interested to see your progress too. This seems like a fairly easily-attainable small project, and I like the way 'Rapid Fire' puts an emphasis on the 'PBI', and not just loads of tanks! I think they have new booklets for 'The Canadians in Normandy' and Crete 1941. Could be interesting, if a little out of scope for me - but when did that ever stop us buying a nice book?

      Delete
  7. Its good to see an old project finally getting the attention it deserved, now get that brush out and get painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me told! Thanks Ray, and you are right of course; I've already got them primed and the basic uniform colour on them.. (btw 'old project' is right, some of the figures may be about 50 years old!)

      Delete
  8. Not sure where my original comment went to - but anyway it made me remember some of the truly crap poses they often produced. Loved the afrika corps and the 8th army the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, your first comment appeared fine, but I think for this one you were looking at the wrong posting - no worries though!

      Delete