Friday 23 February 2024

Lurking in the Loft - continued

I was sure I would get on with painting and/or gaming this past week or two, but those have rather fallen by the wayside - apart from a great evening in the (remote)  company of Jon Freitag and fellow bloggers Tony MS Foy, Mark  Jolly Broom Man and Chris Nundanket,  playing Jon's Third Battle of Trasimene - many thanks, all! 

One of the things that has taken up some time has been finally getting round to looking at a whole bunch of hobby-related stuff that was still lurking in the loft, some for several decades!  These really need sorting through, and reducing (in terms of  volume occupied, at the very least), and some stuff probably needs to go to a more caring home. 

The largest task has been going through many and various boxes of old (mainly) Airfix figures. As a first tranche, I found this selection of random boxes : 

 

what lies within..?

Gotta love the random selection of boxes and tins that must have been all that came to hand years ago (the box from the Japanese fighter plane kit has a price label marked 33p!) .  I wasn't a smoker as a child, I hasten to add(!), but an elderly 'aunt'  ( do kids still have 'aunts' that are not really aunts? ) rolled her own and was a good source of those nice tobacco tins. And yes, that's a classic Hinchcliffe box, too - pocket money never stretched to them, so where did that come from?! 

But enough about the boxes - you can see how  sorting through this stuff can be a slow process.. On to the actual figures themselves. Let's start with the real vintage ones : 

The 'classic' 1960s Airfix Germans

 

and rather fewer British, of similar vintage 

I'm quite glad to have about 80 of those vintage Germans, they are the figures my gaming started with as a kid, and there will be enough to raise a few more Wehrmacht units for my 'D-Day Dodgers' to fight.  The British 'Combat Group' is more tricky as there are not many of them - and I don't think I ever liked them that much. My first  British infantry battalion (in Rapid Fire order of battle)  has been built around some 1970s Matchbox figures which I liked, but there are only a few more of those, and the Airfix 1970s update to British infantry are a bit rubbish, tbh! So I may have to find an alternative which may involve much more modern figures. I suppose I will just have to put up with the much better quality sculpts(!).  

Having said that, the following couple of sets may come in handy: .

old-school (1960s) British 8th Army..

      

..and German Afrika Korps

I think these two sets could be quite useful when  running games that purport to be set in the Italian summertime, such as Sicily in July/August  1943.  After all, it was pretty much the 8th Army making up the British  contingent, and they would have surely continued wearing their tropical uniforms - and I assume  the Germans would have worn 'hot weather'  gear too. So there is scope for a judicious mixture on both sides - and the various 'early Airfix' will go together OK, so I think I can use these. Yes, I am really going to try to use some of these -  I should say I am entirely aware that more modern figures are much 'better', i.e more detailed, dynamically posed  and well-proportioned, but this is at least partly an exercise in nostalgia for me, I have had these figures a very long time and it will be lovely to make use of them - and to finally get them painted!  

I'll spare you too many   more of these pictures, but so far I have also found Airfix British paratroops (terrible poses and blobby physiques ),  Commandos ( men holding up anchors!), a few WW1 British,  WW2 Russians, Japanese and US Marines, plus the later (1970s) Germans,  and 1980s Esci British and German WW2 - which have an old-fashioned look which may just fit in.  

 

the famous 'Michelin Man' Paratroopers


Switching periods, a couple more random aircraft kit boxes revealed a small collection of (badly-painted)  Airfix Ancient Britains - ancient indeed,  probably at least 40 years old! I think based for WRG 6th Edition:

yet another US Cavalry conversion
 

I had just been reading Alan Gruber's  Duchy of Tradgardland blog featuring lovely conversions of old Airfix figures, in which it was mentioned just how versatile the US Cavalry figures were - and guess what?  Yes, very clearly they are the basis for these Ancient British horsemen - you can see the dark blue plastic where the paint has flaked off saddles etc. The US cavalrymen have had their body rather brutally cut off at the waist, and the top half of a British foot warrior glued in place - and as if to prove it, one of them has suffered a catastrophic glue failure and separated into its consituent parts. I'm afraid the conversion wasn't terribly well thought-out,  as the shields get in the way and prevent the man sitting securely on the horse - but at least the younger me had a try!

There's plenty more in the loft, which means a lot more sorting required, I suspect, and perhaps one or two more blog posts.  Meanwhile, if anyone out there is desperate to add to their collections of say, those blobby British Paratroopers or slightly bizarre Commandos, do drop me a line via the comments and we'll see what we can do - just cover the postage, maybe?  I can't quite bring myself to actually throw them in the bin. 

To end on a positive note, this Sunday is the Cavalier wargames show run by Tunbridge Wells Wargames Society,  and I will be going along, I have never been before, so it will be interesting. Given the quotation on my blog page header, I really should pay homage to the club that George Gush founded. The website lists about 20 traders and 17 games, so a nice medium-size show, which I hope makes  everything a bit more relaxed than the big shows like Salute, and allows visitors to spend a bit more  time looking at each game or stand. I'm glad to say I have arranged a couple of meet-ups with friends old and new, too, and it will be great to have a bit of a chat.  Hopefully a nice start to the 'show season' for 2024.  

Right, now back to the boxes, let's see what else there is... Until next time, keep well, everyone.

32 comments:

  1. Trasimene was a good game last week, wasn’t it? I sure enjoyed it. Now the question is what period and battle to tackle next?

    You are digging up some goodies from the attic. With a couple of 1/72 WWI aircraft, does this suggest that you have a collection of 1/72 aero planes for dogfighting? If this is of interest, perhaps, I could dust off my collection and let you fellas take to the air?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes Trasimene was great - interesting to see Peter's take on it on his blog too!
      I may have had those 1/72 WW1 planes back in the day, but they must be long gone - the boxes were just holding some of those figures. However, a bit of dogfighting would be a great idea!

      Delete
  2. An enjoyable post. I really liked seeing your Ancients, they speak so well of time and place. I have an affection for the early Airfix ( probably as they are what I started playing with as a child) and never really took to the later versions. The early Germans are my favourite and remind me of those iconic pictures in the Battle ! book by Grant. I have never quite made up my mind about the infantry combat group either. The rationale re warm weather clothes works certainly for me. I look forward to following all this as it develops…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, glad you enjoyed it. I have exactly the same memory of those early Germans in the Grant book, that was part of the inspiration for this project. A version of 'Action at Twin Farms' may follow... !

      Delete
  3. Delighted to see these vintage figures emerge from their baccy tins ready for more gaming - I have more of a fondness for the first version Airfix British Infantry / Infantry Combat Group because I had so few, they were being replaced by the spindly second version. I bought the newest DDay incarnation of Airfix British infantry which are decent enough.
    I have been slowly rebasing some of these childhood survivals including the curious British Paratroops “ Chubsters” https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2021/07/18/airfix-ooho-british-paratroops-chubsters/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I liked your post re: Paras, you did a nice job on them - the poses and general shapes still look a bit odd though! Funny how they made the paras so chunky and the standard infantry so spindly, as you say!

      Delete
  4. Great to see the old Airfix figures coming out into the daylight David - nice use of the US cavalry; please do post some more of your loft conversions (😉)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT - 'loft conversions' indeed, a great line! Glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  5. It is wonderful seeing those old Airfix figures, and surprising how you remember all the different figures and which ones had a tendency to fall over in games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, glad you liked them, yes indeed the power of memories from one's younger days is always surprising! I am glad I managed to hang on to them, and will try to make use of at least some.

      Delete
  6. A bit of a trip down memory lane there! I never had the first round of WWII Airifx figures, just the second, which seemed OK at the time, until the Afrika Korps and 8th Army sets appeared. These just blew us away! I'd forgotten how bad the British Paras set was, which was a shame as we all wanted to game Arnhem after reading Ryan's book and then seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks steve, yes instant nostalgia! I agree the later 8th Army & Afrika Korps were good, were they scaled-down versions of the 54mm sets? A shame they didn't re-do the Paras to cash in on 'A Bridge Too Far'..

      Delete
  7. What a lovely trip down memory lane and a reminder of how many shockingly bad poses you often got in a set. lol. It’s a wonder any of the airfix generation persevered with wargaming given the difficulties of conversion and the way the paint kept flaking off the figures. Bendy plastic….arrrrrrrgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, I suppose they were so cheap you could buy several boxes and discard the dodgy poses - I never saw the point of the casualties and surrendering figures! And yes, keeping the paint on was a nightmare - but as you can see, not many actually got painted!

      Delete
  8. If memory serves, I believe one of the issues with the paras was, they were intended to be chunkier than all the others - as they were scaled to "true" 1/72 to match the Airfix aircraft range, rather than the standard "HO/OO" (which, when you think about it, does not make a lot of sense really, as they jumped out of the aircraft - they did not really need to be in scale with them at all!) Unfortunately, in addition to their bulk, the poses were all pretty crap too!
    I did like the early Germans AT THE TIME, but I much preferred the later versions that came out in the mid 70's, many of them based on the 1/32 German infantry poses.
    I remember the US Marines and commandoes - both having the requisite craft for water borne operations - the two guys paddling the raft in the USMC group were one of my favourites!
    I don't think there was a box of Airfix figures I did NOT have as a kid - I even had the civilians intended for railway layouts, AND the astronauts etc. I guess it is not that surprising, 50+ years later, I am still playing with toy soldiers (and civilians!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross - that's an interesting explanatiom for chunky paratroopers! I agree the later 'scaled down 1/32' Germans were better sculpts, but the early ones were the ones I'd started with, and as Alan said, they were the ones in the Charles Grant book - that was important! Airfix were so cheap, you could indeed buy every set if you wanted, and they gave a whole generation of gamers their start, rubbish poses and all!

      Delete
  9. Great stuff David - interesting and nostalgic too! Your tobacco tins inherited from a cigarette-rolling "aunt" (did she have a parrot, by any chance?) remind me of a misadventure I had in a charity shop in the village here. At the time I was having a slightly obsessive phase of collecting wooden cigar boxes to store wargaming bits in - not the posh things one might lay out cigars in, but the decorative boxes in which they come from the manufacturers. In my searches, I asked the Cancer Relief shop if they had any old ones, and got a telling off (why would they sell tobacco-related products in such a shop? - etc) and was pretty much thrown out. Quite right too.

    The Airfix conversions are great to see. That feels like proper wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, good story - cigar boxes in the cancer relief shop, oops! I think back then, converting airfix did indded feel like 'proper wargaming' - lots of articles by George Gush etc. I was rubbish at doing them, though - and what exactly was the thing with 'banana oil'?

      Delete
  10. Ha ha. You finding and us remembering reveals all our ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, you hit the nail on the head! I am slightly amazed by the number of comments here, which makes the same point. The nostalgia side is a big part of all this for me, hence I am quite happy to paint up and use some of these - a direct link back to happy childhood days. And no pressure for very detailed painting, it just wouldn't work!

      Delete
  11. Who said nostalgia isn't what it was? An excellent trip down memory lane. Thank you David.
    Some of those poses were awful weren't they? Could never figure out what the para touching the ground with his left hand and waving a piece of paper(map?) in the air with his right was doing. Then there's those paras firing UP into the air - where they fifth columnists firing at the other paras descending from the air?
    Your conversions were more adventurous than mine. I never cut any bodies up. They were strictly limited to attaching cloaks, drawing pins and needles to Romans' hands to make Spartans - real blood spilt on the wargaming table! But those Ancient Britons: could they pass muster as Gallic allies of Hannibal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, glad you enjoyed that. The paratrooper set did seem to be a bit of a dog's breakfast, some really odd poses!
      To be honest I was quite surprised I had been so ambitious with those conversions - I was never very good at that sort of thing. I suspect Evo-Stik may have been used - terrible stuff! I do remember the use of drawing pins for shields. Hmmm.. Gallic warbands? Yes, they might work..

      Delete
  12. A ‘loft treasure trove’ it’s nice to come across and plug directly into the things that raised passions in earlier years - enjoyable moments. Enjoy your wargame show,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, you sum it up well, this is a direct link to fun days gone by! The show was good, and featured more nostalgia and a nice acquistion- which I will recount in my next post.

      Delete
  13. Great stuff. A lot of us ......more mature... wargamers started with Airfix. I wish I had at least a picture of my barbarian light cavalry for WRG 3rd ed Ancients: Waterloo British hussars with helmets (headswap with useless paratroopers), thumbtack shields, pins for lances, and iir, cloaks from plasticine and banana oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, glad you enjoyed that, and your vintage conversions sound great fun - good to know someone found a good use for those dodgy paratroopers! Interesting that you confirm that 'Banana Oil' was really a thing..

      Delete
  14. I'm another one enjoying the nostalgia. The original 8th Army set (which I have also unearthed recently) holds a special place in the heart because of all those fabulous conversions John Sandars did in the Airfix Magazine and guide. I went for years thinking I'd moved beyond all this, but like you I've been having a lot of fun digging out the old toys - even the Commandos, but I may not be ready to accept those awful Paratroopers yet! I am also quite looking forward to the re-release of the Guards band and colour party ...
    Colkitto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colkitto, glad you enjoyed this! It has been great fun finding and looking through these, and I am keen to try to use some of them, at least - but those 'paras' are probably beyond help! Enjoy the Guards if you get them!

      Delete
  15. Hello there Mr Barnes,

    It was a pleasure (as always) meeting up with you today and I hope the new additions to the WW2 collection will be well supported by newly rediscovered loft treasures! Gotta love those early Airfix figures - I always liked the German set with the small anti tank gun.

    Most of my conversions were Napoleonic although I did change some slouch hat wearing Confederates into Brunswick jäger - nothing major, just a paint job.

    One of the Newham club converted the original US infantry into Vietnam era grunts.

    Lovely piece of nostalgia - many thanks for sharing!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David, indeed it was nice to meet you too, and I am very pleased with my acquisitions - which I will show off in my next post! I think the early Germans are my favourite vintage Airfix too.
      It's been interesting to hear about all the various conversions that were done - Confederates to Brunswick Jager is simple, but ingenious. Glad you enjoyed this nostalgia, as you can see you are not alone, there's been a great response to this!

      Delete
  16. Always good to see 'vintage' figures David. I reckon we should look into carbon credits for figs that are 50+ years old. Not long until they reach the stage of 'forever' for accounting purposes: 70 years!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I like that carbon credits idea! In all honesty I can't bring myself to throw these away, even the dodgy paras.

      Delete