After last time's coastal wanderings, it's been more of an 'at home' week and I've managed a bit of hobby time. As I had hoped, I did managed to complete the re-basing of the Russian contingent from my 'pre-loved' collection of vintage 25mm Minifigs Seven Years War figures. So let's see what we have:
We'll start with the Line Infantry. I have two battalions, each of 16 figures on 4 bases (40x40mm). Russian line infantry units all had essentially the same uniform, and there's nothing in the painting to indicate particular units, so I can choose which regiments I will represent. Thanks to Kronoskaf I was able to choose suitable units, and for these I looked for regiments that had been at Gros-Jagersdorf in 1757 -pretty much the first major engagement for Russia in the Seven Years War. So I've decided these will be presenting as Butyrskiy Infantry (front) and 2nd Moskovskiy Infantry.
According to Kronoskaf, Butyrskiy regiment was founded in 1642 and was the joint-oldest regiment. At the Battle of Gross-Jägersdorf, it was part of the vanguard and belonged to Schilling Brigade. When the Russian army deployed, it was placed in the first line of the left wing.
As for 2nd Moskovskiy Infantry, it was formed 1708/1709 and at Gross-Jägersdorf, it was part of Lopuchin's 2nd Division and belonged to Sybin's Brigade. When the Russian army deployed, it was placed in the first line of the centre.
The only visible difference is the in the regimental standards, but don't look too hard at them.. These were done using cheap acrylic paint marker pens and I am no artist(!) but they serve their purpose OK.
Now some Grenadiers : again I have two battalions.
I decided to have them both from the same regiment - 3rd Grenadiers - because when formed in 1756 they included Grenadiers from Butyrskiy and 2nd Moskovskiy, so that seemed right. At the Battle of Gross-Jägersdorf it was part of Andreas Manteuffel's Brigade belonging to Browne's 3rd Division. When the Russian army deployed, it was kept in reserve behind the right wing.
And then some light infantry, Pandours. Again two units, but these are based as skirmishers with two figures per base and thus eight figures per unit.
I fairly arbitrarily chose 1st Pandour (founded 1752). Kronoskaf has no information about their colours ( doesn't matter, I've got no standard bearers!) nor their specific service in the war,Put that lot together and you might call it a 'brigade', with 6 battalions evenly spread between line, grenadiers and pandours:
Now we need some cavalry: luckily we have just the thing. First up, the Slobodskiy Hussars in their rather elegant Lilac uniforms:
I'm calling this a regiment, of two squadrons (each 6 figures). The officer's sabre is perhaps a little too curved, and needs straightening out(!)
We also have some Cossacks - again a two-squadron regiment
Identifying Cossacks (most of whom were essentially irregular troops) isn't an easy one, and as usual my only real source is Kronoskaf ( I wonder what sources the first owner of these was using - possibly 40 or even 50 years ago? ). But I notice that pretty much the only cossacks identified there as being 'regular' troops with a uniform are the Slobodian Cossacks, and most conveniently the Slobodian brigade also fought at Gros-Jagersdorf, so I am going to plump for them. It seems that a light blue coat and trousers were worn by the Sumskoy regiment within the Slobodian brigade - therefore I'm calling these guys the Sumskoys ( if anyone has better information, it's welcome..). With Hussars and Cossacks, I have an impromptu 'Light Brigade' - hmm, that's a good name - for my Russian contingent, Let's assume the Cossacks are a temporary detachment from their own Slobodian brigade.
They look like a capable bunch, I'm sure the infantry will be glad of their support. Sadly I have no Russian artillery, which is a shame given their splendid red uniforms of the period, and so for the moment that means the full Russian 'army' looks like this:
I make that 80 infantry figures and 24 cavalry, not a bad little force - as Norm would say, a 'Pocket army', which should fit well on a wargame table. Now I just need to sort out some of my Prussians to oppose them, and we might give them a game!
That's enough for now, I hope this has been an interesting little diversion, as it has for me. It's quite pleasing to have been able to put together a distinct contingent from the quite large mass of metal that I acquired last year, and I think the re-basing is working well as a way of unifying them and giving them a common 'look'. Now I need to do that same with the Hessians, for example! Gradually we make progress.. Until next time, keep well, everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment