Monday 12 October 2020

A Possible Campaign 'Engine' ?

I've enjoyed playing some loosely-linked scenarios with my modest  Seven Years War forces, but I'd like to find a way to run a 'proper' campaign, albeit as simply as possible.  I've been looking at the possibilities offered by a vintage board game : Frank Chadwick's 'Soldier King', which dates back to 1982.  I thought to look at it because of its setting in a fictional version of the relevant period, and its simplicity.

This is 'a game for two to four players covering the war of succession in a leaderless empire. Each player controls one army and must struggle.. to capture a majority of the Imperial electoral cities, thus assuring his election as Emperor. Movement of armies is from point to point along roads and waterways, thus emphasising the key role played by lines of communications in the 1700s, the age of soldier kings.' 

The armies consist of units of Infantry, Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry, and units may be have status of Levies, Veterans or Guards.   There are rules for resolving battles , but of course if using the game to drive a campaign then the whole idea is for the battles to  be played out on the tabletop.  

The 'Estavian Empire': note roads, highways and rivers

..and in a little more detail
 

The game map depicts a fictional continent , the 'Estavian Empire',  but I don't propose to actually use it! What looks interesting  is the very simple rules for movement,  supply,  recruitment and promotion of units.  I'm thinking I could probably come up with a map showing a real ( or perhaps  imagined ) region of 18th Century Germany, where Austrian and Prussian forces might contend for control. I wonder if  the fine maps from Christopher Duffy's book on Marshal von Browne might give some inspiration here. Bohemia or Silesia, perhaps?

I like the game's very simple point-to-point movement system and the importance  of river transport  (perhaps often forgotten) as well as roads.  I was recently interested by comments on campaign movement in Mr. Nundanket's excellent blog, which to my mind explains why such movement in this period seems likely to be mostly 'point to point', i.e one town to another  - essentially the roads may be poor, but if you stick to them, you know where you will arrive next, and that's the most important thing!  

I also think that the game's  counter mix could be quite useful in generating armies - in the board game the units seemingly represent 10,000-20,000 troops each, each player starting with 12 units ( perhaps an unfeasibly  large force!),   but for a more limited theatre of operations,  a unit could equally represent a battalion for  Bob Cordery's 'Portable Wargame' rules, for example. There are no artillery units, but those could be factored into the battlefield armies in a pre-defined ratio.

Unit types: L to R Infantry, Heavy and  Light Cavalry

I have owned this game for a long time, indeed I think I probably bought it when it first came out thirty-eight years ago  ( blimey! ), and I think a few games of it were played at the time with my then regular gaming buddies during my university holidays.   I'm afraid it's not been played in many a long year, so it will  be nice if I can  make some use of it, even after all this time!

Not good news on the pandemic front here in the UK, so it looks like even more time at home as autumn and winter progress - our hobbies may help save our sanity.  Keep well, everyone.


 

16 comments:

  1. I have not played this boardgame but a point-to-point system makes a lot of sense for a campaign, battle generator.

    I have played Avalon Hill's, "Frederick the Great" and thought it would work well too.

    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/706/frederick-great-campaigns-soldier-king

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting you should suggest it, as I have that Frederick game too! I think it could work for large-scale campaigns where the main armies were being fielded. For the moment, I am more at the 'kleiner krieg' level, however!

      Delete
  2. An interesting looking game that would make a nice campaign map itself. The point to point system sounds very sensible. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I am going to give it a go. Slightly undecided as to whether to maybe use a section of the game map with the totally fictional countries, or to draw up my own map of a real Prussian/Austrian contested province and use the movement system and counters from the game. Hmm..

      Delete
  3. Sigh! It has been a long running obsession of mine to actually game this as a campaign......more details on my blog.
    A long time ago with some assistance from me, someone had a go at translating the game to a Volley and Bayonet campaign (link on my blog) as GDW's "A House Divided" was used as the basis for the VnB ACW campaign rules; it uses the same point to point system.
    It makes for a great game.
    I bought it after I had bought AH's "Frederick the Great" to use as the basis for a SYW campaign; ended up going fictional!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thakns Neil, that's very interesting, I will take a look at your blog! Didn't Mr. Chadwick also design Volley and Bayonet? Can't help but wonder if he had the same sort of thing in mind. It might work quite well given the larger units in V&B, each board game unit might represent a number of brigades/regiments.

      Delete
    2. Mr Chadwick did indeed also design VnB. However, his group went for a different (although fictional) route: Duke, Elector, King.
      http://www.oocities.org/zonker1.geo/

      Neil

      Delete
    3. Well well, that is rather fun, thank you very much!
      ( and Geocities is a blast from the past too )
      Also thanks for becoming my 26th 'follower' - I have reciprocated.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good idea to me!

    I have often thought I was preparing for a "proper" campaign but apparently one has to stop shifting your focus every week to make any real progress. One day...

    The Point to point sounds good, never played this one but add me to the list for Freddy the Great, one of the few board games I can say I've played.

    In this age of railways, paved roads and motor vehicles, we often forget just how much easier it is to move large volumes by water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, yes you are right, some consistency and focus is required, we shall see if I can manage that.. One feature of blogging is the motivational - if I say I will do something, I had better try to actually do it!
      The game's movement system is very simple, which I think should make it pretty 'low maintenance' as a campaign tool.

      Delete
  5. Its a great game in itself, our group still plays it at least once a year. Perfect 4 player game. Maybe the longest owned game I have, having bought it in '82 and still having it around.
    Good luck on the campaign, box to box is the way to go rather than detailed hex maps IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joseph. As it happens I had been meeting a couple of gaming buddies in a boardgames cafe in London over the past year or two, and was just about to suggest this game to them, when the Covid hit and everything closed down! Maybe next year..
      Meanwhile I reckon it will be good for campaigning.

      Delete
  6. Interesting idea for a campaign engine,a map of 18th century central Europe shouldn't be that hard to transfer over? Liked your previous book post too,I liked the gun when I was a kid and I've just picked up the Duffy Frederick the great book in a charity shop, I was well chuffed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Yes, I think a basic map could be do-able with just roads and major rivers, and the game rules are very simple too. That was indeed a good charity shop find!

      Delete
  7. It's a great map and I think gives loads of possibilities.
    This link gives the campaign rules for converting and playing the soldier kings campaign in VnB, obviously can be adapted for any other rules. Also has some interesting rules for other campaigns as well.
    https://volleyandbayonet.wordpress.com/campaign-scenarios/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, that is very interesting! I will have to take a proper look at those rules. It also happens that I have a copy of the old edition of 'Volley and Bayonet' which I rather hanker after trying out for a tabletop battle!

      Delete