Monday 26 October 2020

Soldier King Campaign : hostilities commence

I have been taking tentative steps with a Seven Years War campaign, using the fictional setting of my old 'Soldier King' boardgame. I thought about perhaps drawing a map of a real Central European theatre of war,  but 'time and space, dear boy'.. To get a campaign going and see if the idea works, why not use the game's ready-made map?     The game assumes four belligerent states, but I only need two, so I have only used the eastern half of the map, depicting the little-known Prussian Provinces of East and West Argozia,  and the equally obscure Austrian regions of North and South Arcadia.

                                    

Next,  some forces: the game suggests starting with twelve units per nation,  made up of eight 'veteran' and four 'guard'.  That seemed about right, given that my table setup  will probably allow perhaps six or eight units for a battlefield force.  I thought I'd try to vary the makeup of the armies, so started with a 'base' of two-thirds Infantry to one-third cavalry, and rolled a couple of dice to randomise a bit.  As a result, I finished up with the following: 

Prussians :  Guards - one Infantry, three Heavy Cavalry    

                    Veterans - six Infantry,  two Light Cavalry 

Austrians :  Guards - two Infantry,  two Heavy Cavalry

                    Veterans - five Infantry,  three Light Cavalry 

Thus the two sides each  fielded  seven infantry and five cavalry units,  but with different mixes of guards and veterans , and heavy and light cavalry. That seemed quite pleasing - I didn't want identical armies. The Prussian Heavy Cavalry looks powerful, but the Austrians are strong in Light horse, which seems appropriate, lots of Hussars perhaps?

Final preparatory step was the initial billeting of troops : the game system specifies that each player turn is made up of up two to six  of  'marches', so why not start with six 'Divisions' each of two units?  These were stationed three to a province, using the main 'recruiting cities' and fortresses.  Thus the first turn or two will likely involve both sides gathering their divisions into field armies.  The picture at the top shows the intial deployments - Prussian units are blue,  and Austrians gold. Both sides concentrated their Guards formations in the North-Eastern corner of the map, where their provinces directly bordered each other.   At which point, news reaches the respective provincial military governors from far-off capitals -  'war is declared!' and both sides begin to mobilise their forces. Let hostilities commence...

I decided to dice for  first move  each turn  - on Turn 1 ( Spring , and let's call it 1756 ) , the Prussians won the initiative, but then rolled a '1' for the number of 'marches'. Under the game rules, a player always gets two marches, so that was the Prussian allowance. They concentrated two 'Divisions' ( 4 units ) at the Fortress of Rahden , near the hostile border and advanced  their Light Cavalry into neutral Banst, aiming to threaten the Austrian left flank.  A slow start, obviously some issues with getting orders out..   I decided that the protagonists could move into neutral provinces, allowing for a wider field of operations and more strategic manoeuvre, and I will try to use the boardgame's system of  'recruiting cities' - capturing neutral provinces and cities allowing increased recruiting resources.  The imaginary populations of these imaginary provinces are no doubt told that this is  'for your own protection, we have to move to keep out that other beastly lot'..  

The Austrians in contrast, were all action and rolled a '5' , thus could carry out 5 marches. They concentrated  6 units in their Northern city of Piesport , close to the border, and began moving  4 units up from the south  in support, finally sending two Light Cavalry units westward into neutral  Lower Waldow, capturing the recruiting city of Selters  and covering their left. 

Then Turn 2 - Summer - the Austrians' rapid start continued,  winning the initiative dice roll and moving first - they again rolled  5 marches.  Their light cavalry spread out over  Lower Waldow, occupying both its significant cities and effectively capturing the province - meaning more recruits later. Also on their Western flank, four units used two marches advancing into Upper Waldow, occupying the city of Stauffen.   Last but by no means least , the northern force of six units went on the offensive, advancing to attack the four Prussian units at the fortress  city of Rahden before the Prussians could reinforce. They have a superior force for now, though the Prussians have more troops quite nearby, and Austrian supports are quite a long way away - striking now may be their best chance.  So we have a battle!  

Austrian attack!  But Prussians have support nearby

                                 

 The opposing forces in  boardgame terms are as follows: 

 Austrians:     2 Guard Heavy Cavalry,  2 Guard Infantry,  2 Veteran Infantry

Prussians:      1 Guard Heavy Cavalry1 Guard Infantry,   2 Veteran Infantry

And here's an ( entirely gratuitous )  picture of the clashing forces

First battle: opposing forces
 

 So, now I just have to translate those onto the  tabletop, using the figures I have, and devise a suitable attack and defence type scenario,taking into account the 'fortification' of the city on the map, which should lend some protection to the outumbered Prussians.  I'm sure Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame rules will be able to accomodate all this, albeit perhaps with a little judicious tinkering.

Finally for this time, a not entirely unrelated aside. Since we are talking about an old boardgame, here's another one -  a lucky find in Sudbury Oxfam shop the other week.  I must have spent a very large amount of my free time when aged about 12, on this long-lost game, and have often wondered if I might turn up a copy, so I was very pleased to acquire this for the princely sum of £2.99! 

 

Positively Proustian

In very good condition, complete and maybe not used much. For  any 'Campaign' nerds out there,  it's a 1976 edition, I think I had a slightly  earlier  one, perhaps 1974. I remember that one had a potted history of the many Coalitions against Napoleon, which captured my imagination somewhat, and I also remember that in my childhood solo games one power invariably seemed to sweep across Europe defeating all others.  That power was - Spain.  I'll have to give it another go sometime.. 

So there we are,  look out for the next exciting episode featuring the opening battle of the campaign. Meanwhile keep safe and well, everyone. 

**POSTSCRIPT **  Many thanks to everyone, this blog's 'Total Pageviews' count has reached 10,000. I'm rather amazed, and honoured. by the response of readers ( and even followers, wow! ) over this past 9 months. Also many thanks for  the  supportive, entertaining and instructive  comments from many of you ( though I was sadly unable to take advantage of the offer of 'Best Silage Machines Price! Silage machines for sale in Pakistan' ) ,  I  think that's a big hint that I must be doing something right.  The blog has also been a great motivator for actually getting some games on the table and even a few figures painted  - quite apart from the fun of writing. I hope to continue in the same vein in the coming months - I hope you continue to enjoy it .


10 comments:

  1. Good to see the campaign underway Dave. With all the battles of a developing campaign this will be quite an immersive project for you I think. Ah, Campaign...that takes me back to those hazy, crazy days of the mid-1970's when I got that as a Christmas present one year from my eldest brother. Unboxing, getting out the components and reading the rules of the game that Christmas Day was inevitably something ridiculously exciting to my already Napoleon-fixated (and almost certainly autistic!) early teenage self, but sadly I have to say that the game never became a favourite in the way Risk for example did. I think I just found it a bit too abstract with the square nations and that odd way of capturing opposing pieces (although I remember my earliest attempts at designing my own boardgames being influenced by that mechanism). The only other thing I remember about the few games we played was arguing about the pronunciation of one of the Spanish towns represented - I was adamant it had to be Bil-bay-o and not Bil-bow.

    Still, at least the games didn't always end up in someone getting furious and scattering the game all over the floor, as the Risk ones all too often did!

    I have kept all the pieces of my old Campaign game as they do come in handy when making markers for other games, and despite never being too fond of it as a kid I would defo be up for a game for old times sake if you ever fancy it.

    And it's nice there's a game that allows the Spanish to run amok like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave! The board game method is a quick and easy way of generating meaningful 'battles' for transfer to the tabletop, I hope.
    I agree the 'Campaign' mechanism for capturing pieces was a bit abstract, maybe a bit chess-like? I think I may have tweaked the rules a bit to allow a 'conquered' nation's army to be taken over by their conqueror, thus allowing a single country to build a large empire. When we eventually get to meet again in person, maybe we can give it a go, as you say 'for old times sake'! I think my old copy introduced me to Napoleon, and perhaps it quoted him "I have fought sixty battles, and I have learned nothing new"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this!
    I've just cut, painted and labelled the Volley and Bayonet bases for Bravance. Hopefully get the figures mounted next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil - and I hope we'll see your version of this on your blog. I'd be interested to see Volley and Bayonet rules being used..

      Delete
  4. This is good stuff - excellent, in fact - looks very promising. A quick word of (unsolicited) wisdom, gained the hard way some years ago. It is tempting to be very generous when drawing up the campaign armies - after all, the fact that you only have two regiments of Austrian grenadiers (say) in your storage boxes does not mean that you can't spread 3 or more such regiments around the various armies on your map, does it? I mean, it's not very likely the map movement will throw all 3 of them together in a single battle, is it?

    Ha!

    Don't you believe it - for wargame campaigns, there is a special, supersized version of Sod's Law, which exists entirely to produce line-ups for combats which you cannot actually field. Yes, this has happened to me....

    This train of thought is restated with rather more gravitas on p22 of Charles S Grant's fine "Wargame Campaigns", no less.

    I will say no more of this, except that I once spent the evening before a game painting an extra artillery unit - the map movement had called my bluff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Tony! YOu make a very good point, and given my extremely limited resources of painted figures at the moment, I need to be mindful of it! Though I did not state it, I think a maximum of six or eight units per 'army' will apply, which we can justify by mutterings about forage and supply availability, given that these are not rich provinces. Even so, my Austrian 'Guard Heavy Cavalry' are likely to be represented by the ubiqituous Grenzers - the only Austrian horse units I currently have!

      Delete
    2. But they are VERY good Grenzers!

      I look forward to seeing how this goes for you.

      Delete
    3. Indeed - they will be rated 'Elite' and gain extra SPs when using Bob's rules. But for the longer term, I really must try to get some Cuirassiers painted!

      Delete
  5. Ah, I love reading about war-games campaigns. Great to see you have started David.

    Good find in the charity shop. I had Campaign in my teens and had plans to use it as a basis for a SYW campaign (1 piece would represent say 500 WRG points of infantry or cavalry - hoping that a whole army would never come together!). I couldn't get anyone interested in doing it though.
    It got disposed of at some point then about 12 years ago my neighbour was getting rid of some stuff and I noticed it going into his car boot, remarked on it to him and it was mine. I haven't played it once! My son read the rules and quickly deduced that there was too much luck involved (my best chance of beating him at something) and said 'nah'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the campaign has maybe already paid off, I have a 'meaningful' battle to play out on the tabletop, and its results will feed back into the campaign.
      I suspect with 'Campaign' as a kid, I probably made quite large changes to the rules, or just forgot to apply some of them! But it did catch my imagination back then, and probably had a big part in my discovery of this hobby. Whether I actually play it, we shall see..

      Delete