Monday 15 February 2021

What a difference a day makes...

 ... Saturday and Sunday - bitterly cold;  Monday - 14 degrees C. Lunch in the garden! Followed by first outdoor painting session of the year.

I wasn't expecting this in mid-February

 A further squadron of  six  Austrian Cuirassiers being primed,  joined by sixteen ( two 'Portable Wargame' battalions ) Prussian Line Infantry.  These latter are my c. 45-years old chaps, after their immersion in Eco Spirit to remove terrible c. 45-years old Humbrol enamel  paint-job. 

Given that they will be joining a large contingent of  von Kleist Freikorps units,  I thought maybe they should be from a von Kleist regiment too. Christopher Duffy identifies two such: 

- IR  No.4 ,  Kleist 1758-1761 : "A poorish regiment, badly knocked-about at Gross-Jagersdorf and Zorndorf"  ( and the next owner was 'known as a drunkard' ) 

- IR no. 9, 'Jung-Kleist' 1756-1758 : "A Westphalian regiment, though usually in good odour with the king. Distinguished at Prague. Captured at Maxen after a creditable fight. Raised again but shattered in Pomerania in 1761"  ( rated 'very good' by Frederick himself ). 

I reckon it's going to be No. 9. 

Keep safe and well, everyone, and enjoy the mild weather, if it is where you are!


 

  

7 comments:

  1. 14 is still a bit nippy for sitting still and painting in my book. I could have done it maybe 45 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a sheltered spot and the sun was out - most of the time! After the past few days I couldn't resist it.
      Now 45 years ago you were presumably a tough windswept Grimsby lad - has living in the South made you soft? :)

      Delete
    2. It certainly has. Though I think age has a lot to do with it.

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures and a loud hurrah to you for working al fresco. Even in these northern parts it is noticeably much milder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Alan! Was really nice to feel a bit of warmth. I'm hoping it stays mild..

      Delete
  3. At 14C, I would be out on the bike. In February, I would also be using that balmy weather to catch up on undercoating a stock of figures deployed through a harsh winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I am still doing primer with a brush ( only small batches anyway ) but it did occur that if I was spraying, it would be the first good day for that this year!

      Delete