Saturday 21 August 2021

Al Murrays and Aquisitions..*

Well now, where were we?  Several weeks seem to have gone by, and nothing from The Ragged Soldier - sorry about that.  I'm afraid real life ( work, mainly ) got in the way. As a result, no gaming took place, but I did manage some reading,  and some acquisitions, that will feed into future campaigning. 


Al Murray's 'Watching War Films With My Dad' was a charity shop find ( for £1! ) which turned out to be a great fun read.  It's a sort of memoir - taking us from Al's WW2-obsessed 1970/80s childhood with Airfix kits and Action Man ( shades of Harry Pearson's 'Achtung Schweinhund' )  up to his attempts to present  military history to his own children.  He's a massive enthusiast for military history, he positively fizzes with it, with the result that he jumps  from topic to topic with dizzying speed. Obviously there are  a lot of jokes too,  but  (as listeners to his 'we have ways' podcast will know )  he is very well-read and knowledgable.  I was particularly interested in his views on Arnhem, which I confess I have little knowledge of myself  -  and of course the film 'A Bridge Too Far' gets a fair amount of discussion in the book. Did they really use Leopard tanks? Oh no!  He doesn't seem to have tried wargaming , though - should someone be inviting him to a show?       
 

Having enthused about a year ago over the joys of the local model shop, I'm afraid I didn't get back to Model Junction in Bury St. Edmunds until the other week. But I found them trading OK, and as friendly and helpful as ever.  They have a pretty wide selection of modelling paints ( at least 4 or 5 brands ), and a room full of plastic kits. I've been wanting to add some anti-aircraft capability to my 'D-Day Dodgers' Italian campaign forces, so the Airfix  Bofors AA gun will do nicely, and I couldn't quite resist the Sd Kfz 234 'Puma'  for the Germans. Worthy additions to the 'plastic pile',and it's about time for another go at a WW2 game and a trial of Bob Cordery's 'Portable Wargame'  rules for aerial attacks and AA guns. 

 

Another great book find was courtesy of an antique shop in Lavenham which includes a couple of shelves of history books curated by someone who clearly has a military bent ( so to speak, missis!) - and there was Geoffrey Parker's 'The Military Revolution'. I know I'm about 30 years behind on this one, though I do have his books on The Thirty Years War and The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road - the latter read a memory-wiping long, long time ago.   As a paid-up member of the Pike and Shot Society, I'm really looking forward to reading this and bringing my knowledge of theories of military history bang up-to-date - albeit the 1980s date..



One aspect of The Military Revolution being the Trace Italienne and new fortification techniques culminating in Vauban's  formidable legacy - so it was a very pleasant surprise to coincidentally  receive a splendid gift, from a modest and retiring fellow blogger, of a seriously impressive resin model of a Vauban fort!  It's actually 15mm scale, I am told, but I think it should pass muster in  my Seven Years War campaigning, on the principle of 'under-scale' buildings and scenery. I can see it as a small fortified outpost being fought over  in my central European backwater, or cunningly deployed along the edge of the table to suggest a section of the walls of some larger defended place. Whatever, I am very chuffed indeed with this lovely piece of generosity. No payment was required - I will compensate with a suitable charity donation, perhaps to MSF. 

    

Finally, an update on another generous gift, which I had received from RossMac of 'Battle Game of the Month' fame.  Here is MacFarlane's Scottish regiment of foot, with their associated troop of 'border horse'  Lancers , their  prized regimental cannon, supply wagons and self-propelling food supplies ( i.e. livestock ! ). I've given the foot and the horse new bases to fit my system, and given the horse back their missing lances, but left Ross' 1970s paintwork untouched, it's just fine as it is. The infantry have a preponderance of musketeers and very few pikes, so they may find themselves used as 'commanded musketeers', but there are some splendid axe- and sword-wielding highanders, and even a bagpiper! Also a couple of kilted  musketeers with socket bayonets, who look distinctly 18th century, but I couldn't separate them from their fellows after the long voyage,  so they stayed in the ranks. Their comrades may be bemused by 'Hamish and Dougal, with all  their new-fangled ideas'. 

The bases are just thin card, since the plan is to fit magnetic strip underneath, and use steel paper movement trays, which will add to the thickenss. Maybe I need to texture them a bit, to match Ross' bases for the wagons, gun and livestock. Though I am an adherent to minimally plain basing normally, a bit of texture would be true to their original spirit, I think.  Now they will be needing an excuse to get to grips with the Imperials, or the French, depending which side offers the best pay, of course.. 

That's enough for now, I'm glad to have got back onto the blogging bike, so to speak, and there's lots of gaming posibilities to be thinking  about in the near future.  Meanwhile keep well, and safe, everyone.

 

* title loosely inspired by that good old standby of adventure-story writers - 'Alarums and Excursions', of course !  I'll get my coat..

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous fort! Oh and that Bofors gun + tractor was one of my favourite Airfix kits as a lad. I was so excited when I saw a real Bofors gun in the military museum in Helsinki I turned round and said “oh I had one of those” to no one at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't the fort great? Very pleased to have it. The Bofors will be interesting, I've not been too impressed with the vintage Airfix kits but will give it a go and bodge it together. A charity shop locally once had a couple of 40mm Bofors shell-cases for sale, which would have made quite a bizarre household ornament!

      Delete
  2. Lots of interesting things in this post. The fort looks fantastic and the Scots really look ready for action. Airfix nostalgia too, what’s not to like. I am most intrigued by the Al Murray book. I do look forward to seeing your ww2 set up in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I may be trying to go in too many directions at once, but that's nothing new! Which should I do first, WW2, Pike and Shot or 7YW? I think maybe the 'D-Day Dodgers' should get another go.. I would recommend Al Murray's podcast - the recent readings of a Malta Spitfire pilot's memoirs were really interesting, for example.

      Delete
    2. With the fort following the principles of the Trace Italienne, you could combine the two and have the fort in a D-Day Dodgers game.

      Delete
    3. Hmm..I reckon Colenol Badger might call up his 25-pounder battery and make short work of it!

      Delete
  3. That fort is a wonderfully generous gift.
    Rather than a stand alone fort you could use the components to make a Vauban city wall on the table edge for the few fortified cities in the Soldier King map.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, the fort is indeed a lovely gift, and I may well do exactly as you suggest!

      Delete
  4. Wiki tells me there were about 100 of those A/C built, I wonder how many thousands have rolled across a wargame table in the last 50yrs? A classic!

    Good to see the Scots lads looking so 'Bra'. I think the tall highlanders were Old Glory from the 90's, stragglers from a Jacobite rebellion which never got off the ground. Can't remember what happened to the rest.

    I like that fort, and the idea of using it along the edge as city walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, I think I was suckered into a pure impulse buy of that Puma kit, will probably now find that none at all were in Italy! I think Charles Grant is to blame - his Roco Minitanks versions fighting a losing battle against T34/85s in 'Battle: Practical Wargaming' always stuck in my mind!
      I am keen to get the Scots into action, let's hope they fight well! Watch this space..
      And yes, very pleased with the fort, I think it will be very useful. It should be fun to paint, too. I am informed it was made by 'Anyscale Models', who still have a website, but sadly don't seem to list the fort any longer.

      Delete
  5. Real life (TM pending) can be a bit of a bugger sometimes! Good to see you back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - though I confess my 'being a bit busy with work' is nothing compared to the 'Real Life' that you were going through recently! I hope all's well and you are recovering OK, glad to see you back on your blog, too.

      Delete
  6. Some excellent acquisitions and even more splendid gifts! Ross' highlanders look quite superb and that is one beaut fortress!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you James, yes I am especially pleased with the gifts, many thanks to their donors!

      Delete