Sunday 31 July 2022

One door closes..

 

The slightly grubby rucksack in the picture ( it's been carried between my house and my partner's,  weekly for several years ) contained my 'work PC' and phone- a nice man from DHL came to collect it last week, finally ending my 24 years supprting  IT systems for a major UK supermarket.  Five different employers in that time, mind you - oh, the joys of outsourcing and  'TUPE' transfers.  What does this mean? In the short term,  an email bombardment from an outplacement agency re:my 'jobsearch',  and would I please upload my CV? To which I answer 'what CV?'  I haven't had a job interview since 1997... I think I'm going to be a disappointment to them.  

It's surprising just how much mental effort and 'bandwidth'  is required by the process of  being made redundant, and the result is clear from the reduced frequency of blog entries here and the total absence of gaming in the past few months. But now it's done, I think I may have a bit more hobby time, which is very welcome.  I need to have a bit of a think about how to use that - expect some sort  of  'thinking aloud' post on future plans quite soon. 

The good news is, some gaming has indeed occurred - the first instance of which was a 'Command and Colours' Austerlitz extravaganza,  which has been covered by the host, Liverpool Dave, on his St Cyr on Wheels blog,    It was a brilliant  afternoon, and a great pleasure to meet fellow blogger Nundanket again too. Cheers guys!

I've been mssing getting actual figures onto a table too, and I wanted a quick and easy way of getting back into that habit. Something 'Fast Play', on a small gaming area ( say, a 3 by 3 grid? ).. I think we can see where this is going, Having prepared a pinboard gaming 'table' for 'The Fast Play 3 by 3  Portable Wargame' not long ago, it was high time to give it a try. Everything required was to hand, in Bob Cordery's recent The Portable Wargame Compendium, as follows: 

(i) Terrain:  see page 92,  Pre-Generated Terrain by Mike Tabor - just roll a D20. It came up '7' which gave me this very simple terrain: 


Just one wooded area, on the defender's baseline, right flank. 

 (ii) Forces : page 85,  Army Composition by Mark Cordone. Each side will have six units plus a commander, simply roll a D6 for each and select the suggested numbers of common unit types. I used my Seven Years War forces, and rolled as follows: 

Prussians rolled a '6' and got 

-  Four Line Infantry units ( 2 battalions 44th Fusiliers, 2 battalions Von Kleist Frei Korps ) ,

- One Cavary unit  ( 1 squadron Von Kleist Uhlans ) 

- One Field Gun and Crew. 

Austrians rolled a '1' ,  resulting in

- Two Line Infantry units   ( 2 battalions Botta d'Adorno foot )

- Two Cavalry units ( 1 squadron Cuirassiers, 1 squadron Grenze Hussars ) 

- One Field Gun and Crew

- One Light Infantry Unit ( 1 squadron dismounted Grenze Hussars ) 

Plus one commander for each side. All units have 2 SPs ( Strength Points ) and I decided that all units would be 'average' quality. So, an interesting mixture! 

Lastly dice for attack/defence, and the Prussians were deemed Defenders - which seemed quite appropriate given their infantry-heavy array. Both sides set up, as seen below: 

 

Prussians on the right. The units are set up on their respective baselines, with some held back in the 'Reserve' areas behind.   Prussian infantry covers the whole front, with their Uhlans held in reserve: Austrians have their Cuirassiers massed on their right, and Light Infantry  ready to skirmish in front of the woods on their left. Attackers move first on Turn One, after that dice for initiative each turn. So, Austrians to start Turn One.  And that's where we'll leave it for now: a full battle report will be the next post on this blog. Meanwhile, keep safe, and well, everyone. 

 

UPDATE : thanks very much to all for sympathetic comments re: the redundancy. It wasn't voluntary, but it wasn't entirely unexpected either, and I think I am at an age and situation where I can accept it and move on to a new stage in life.  It is rather strange thinking 'what to do today?', and little things like not having to finish my morning walk ( habit acquired in lockdown) in time for the 'daily stand-up' meeting!  

One very sad aspect, though: back in May, on a day walking by the Thames near Richmond, I had a very useful conversation with an old friend, Kevin,  who had much experience of working through TUPE/redudancy processes, also in the IT sector, from both worker and manager point of view. What I mainly got from him was 'don't take it personally, don't get angry, they are only working to a budget, good luck to them if they are making a mistake, on their heads be it. Make the best of it, take the (hopefully  generous)  payout and enjoy life'.  That helped me quite a lot, and I looked forward to meeting him again now, to tell him I had gone through the process OK and was looking forward to the future - he had himself managed to retire about 6 months before. But that was not to be, Kevin passed away suddenly in June, and today his family and friends gathered to mark his passing and remember him. Cheers, mate, and thanks, I won't forget.

     


24 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the redundancy thing mate. Keep your pecker up if you can. Loving the 3x3 stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks JBM, I am OK with the redundancy, I think - the timing is right and there's a decent payoff. 3X3 was fun too, but I need to modify my rules again for it! Pecker positively in up position :)

      Delete
  2. David, I hope that your redundancy was at least partially by choice. Nevertheless, if this intermission allows for more time for family and friends then that must be a plus.

    As for a “thinking out loud, planning post”, well, they are universally well received. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - well, not by choice exactly, but not unexpected, and I decided quite soon to accept and 'go with the flow'. I think I can comfortably end my 'career'(!) at this point.
      Does a think-piece count as 'Jelly and Peanut Butter' ?

      Delete
    2. "Does a think-piece count as 'Jelly and Peanut Butter'?

      Definitely Not! but Stew is the final arbiter on such matters.

      Delete
    3. The Stew agrees. This is not PB&J.
      😀

      Delete
  3. Time vs money. A classic tradeoff. The choice is better when its voluntary but there are potential benefits either way.

    Looking forward to read about the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, not a voluntary choice, but as a result they have to stuff your pockets with silver. At this stage, time beats money.
      The game was fun - though I need to work on the 'Fast Play' part.. that's down to me, not the rules!

      Delete
  4. Hello old chap,

    As the world’s premier authority on ‘thinking out loud, planning post(s)’ I heartily recommend this as being a great way of, well, thinking out loud and planning….

    Redundancy is always a daunting thing (been there 3 times) but it is also a great opportunity to lay the groundwork for the future.

    Looking forward to the AAR and seeing those figures in action once again.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David, I will try to emulate your excellent thinking out loud.. I have never been made redundant before and always rather dreaded it, but the timing is OK now I think, and indeed, time to consider the future. The outplacement guys actually seem quite good - I think my 'roadmap' on their site is most likely going to be the one headed 'retirement'.
      Indeed it was good to get the 7YW chaps into action, and there were one or two fun surprises!

      Delete
  5. Good luck in your job search. I was made redundant about 16 years ago with no pay off. It was a stressful time. While having "free time" should have been pleasurable, the lack of income and stress of job searching eroded that somewhat. I now wish I had enjoyed the freedom more.....I ended up joining the Civil Service and have never looked back!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, and I'm glad your redundancy experience ended with you in a much better place. I am lucky in that I think I don't need the 'job search' stuff - I can entirely understand how it can hit many people very hard.
      The good news is that some of the upcoming 'free time' can be spent on gaming and blogging!

      Delete
    2. It sounds as if rather than redundancy, you've taken "early retirement" .
      The moral of your friend Kevin's situation is to enjoy life while you have the opportunity; none of us knows what's around the corner.
      If I could afford it I'd go next year!
      Neil

      Delete
  6. Hope your path through redundancy is a smooth as these things can be. Good to see that you are getting some figures to the table. Look forward to the AAR and also the ‘future plans’ post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Norm, on the whole it has been quite smooth, fingers crossed! Acceptance was the key, I think. But a lot of 'bandwidth' was taken up with it, and I was very pleased to finally get round to setting up a game.
      AAR will be next, and future plans in the near (ahem) future.

      Delete
  7. Last Saturday was great, Dave, thanks again for coming!

    I know where you are coming from re the redundancy. When Fidelity made me redundant in 2014 I had been in continuous employment for 27 years and hadn't had a job interview in 14. Strange days indeed. I know it may seem a bit scary in some ways but if your payout was at all decent I would recommend having a good long think about what you want to do next rather than let anxiety about working lead you into any rushed decisions. Despite enjoying not being in work I became a bit panicky and ended up rushing back into job interviews and getting a job that I really don't enjoy at all and have felt effectively trapped in. At our age it should really be about being satisfied with life at last :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave ( that is you, isn't it?!). I always dreaded redundancy, but equally after a long spell in one job then the payoff becomes a sort of 'entitlement' which one would be disappointed not to get eventually! That is perhaps a sort of trap in itself, which maybe I allowed myself to fall into.Anyway, I think I am now at an age and situation where I ( fortunately ) can leave the corporate world behind.
      And last week was a great way to mark the occasion, thanks again!


      Delete
    2. It is me! Oddly it didn't prompt me to log on to Google as it normally does, it just allowed me to publish anonymously. Hmm. Yeah the dread of redundancy is a familiar one, as is the initial shock when it comes, but you soon realise there is life afterwards. At least our generation hasn't had to process the implied rejection that used to go with redundancy, it's become more an occupational hazard over our working lifetimes.

      Yes, no more of that corporate BS! Rejoice!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the redundancy David. It’s not a good feeling when your job fate is taken out of your hands, but it sounds like it’s worked well in the end, if I’ve interpreted your post correctly. Congratulations on starting the next great phase.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes you have interpreted correctly. I'm not looking for another job, hoping to enjoy being gainfully unemployed. It did come as a bit of a surprise, but tbh it had been on the cards for some time - and indeed after long service one starts to feel a sort of 'entitlement' to the redundancy payoff. Next phase indeed - and hopefully some more time for this gaming mullarkey!
      p.s. Great to meet you again the other week!

      Delete
  9. Sorry To hear about your earlier than wanted retirement and loss of someone with the good life advice. I hope the transition will sort itself out for you over time.
    When I was just starting out in my career (late 20s) I used to reach a class about retirement to people in their 60s and 70s. It was hilarious. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Stew, it wasn't so very much earlier than wanted. I have a significant birthday coming up and should probably have started preparing to 'go' at that point, so this is probably a good nudge towards what I should have been planning anyway!
      What sage advice did your 20-something self have for the 60/70-somethings? And did they listen?

      Delete
  10. Like David, I have been made redundant three times, and they were all quite close together too! Unfortunately for me, we no longer have partucularly generous redundancy terms/clauses in New Zealand, and at the time, I was only about halfway through my working life, so it was a bit if a pain, I even had about three months of unemployment benefit supporting a wife and three school aged kids after the third one....not a great time, but, in retrospect, actually it was! It was only not knowing it would only last three months that made it daunting. In retrospect, I had the whole summer (Nov to Feb in NZ) off work, then started again on 6 Feb 2014 and been working non stop ever since....really, apart from constrained I come, it was a kind I'd Sabbatical really!

    So, it depends in individual circumstances...an English mate of mine out here's Dad took early retirement (form of redundancy) from BT as a middle level manager in his very early fifties...he got a decent okay out and went straight onto his index linked company pension, which lasted him for the next thirty years or so....I would have been happy to be made redundant under these sort of conditions! Sad news about your mate though....and puts the whole redundancy thing into perspective really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks rross, I will admit that earlier on I had a dread of being redundant, I think not being very confident about the process of getting back into work. But at this stage, it was more 'thanks very much, I'll take that'. BT does seem to have been bascially just a huge early retirement scheme for about the past 30 years, I think they have drastically slimmed-down their workforce in that time. Good for your mate getting a nice long retirement. My father managed to retire at 56, and lived to 86, by which time he'd been taking his workplace pension for longer than he'd paid in! Mind you, he left school and started work aged 14!
      It is particularly sad that our friend had really only just started his retirement, and was thoroughly enjoying it, I think. It does give pause for thought.

      Delete