Tuesday 30 August 2022

100 Up, and Where Next?

As The Ragged Soldier marches onward, a small milestone has appeared by the roadside : this is my 100th blog post. I'm rather pleasantly surprised to have come this far, and have thoroughly enjoyed both the process of creating the blog posts and the results. Thanks to all who have dropped by, and in particular I'd like to say a big 'thank you' to the elite club of 39  who have signed up to follow the blog,  and especially to all who have left ( unanimously ) friendly and supportive comments.It's fantastic that so many of you have spared some of your time and contributed your always informative and often amusing thoughts. 

 As is ( I think ) traditional, I will take the opportunity for a short break from the forward march, have a sit down on the roadside, lean back on the convenient milestone,  open up the kitbag and take stock of the contents, and ponder where the march might  take us next.

Most of  my effort so far has been devoted to the  Seven Years War period, with the troops acquired from the late Eric Knowles collection.  The campaign based loosely on the 'Soldier King' boardgame  worked out really well, and generated some interesting battles at a variety of different levels, from a small cavalry raid on an isolated outpost to the grand culminating engagement at Zouache. That's the advantage of running a campaign, I'm sure - the unpredicatability and challenges of the different  games that come up.  The campaign has reached 'winter quarters' with Prussia most certainly in the ascendant, and I think perhaps the Austrians will be seeking terms for a peace agreement, or at least some sort of truce.  I think I will continue with this setting for my 7YW games; the question I am debating is whether to resume the campaign as a simple continuation into the new campaigning season,  or re-join the story after a period of peace and recovery.   

Meanwhile some good news  I have ( finally! ) completed painting the first two units of Prussian 9th Infantry 'Jung Kleist'  regiment,  from my 40+ years old Minifigs,  and  here they are: 


  

Button counters and posh painters look away now, I'm afraid, but they will 'do' for The Ragged Soldier - though I think they need to work on dressing their ranks a bit better in any future pictures! Also I need to colour in the edge of that standard ( bought at the  'Broadside' show  from Flags of War ) before they go on campaign. Very simple block painting is my 'style' and the limit of my abilities -  if I tried anything more complicated I'd never get any finished! The Osprey book I used for guidance had fantastic detail of the different arrangements  of 'lace loops' on the lapels, cuffs, coat-tails etc for every regiment, and I initially thought I might try to apply that - and then realised 'with my eyesight and co-ordination- no way'!  So they got a dab of white at the cuffs and that will do..  they won't fight any worse! 

There are more of those Prussians, and plenty more unpainted figures waiting their turn - including the contingent generously gifted by Neil Patterson of  Aufklarungsabteilung  fame, who I hope will become the army of Saxony, some interesting Austrian border troops, and some nice French Dragoons in their distinctive 'nightcap' headgear. If I can keep up a 'little and often' painting routine, more of these chaps should be available for mobilisation and use in future campaigns.  So, with 7YW it's a case of just keep painting and carry on..

 

The D-Day Dodgers ( World War 2 in Italy ) has stalled a bit, only one game played so far, but I have ideas - I've been  reading 'The Tiger Triumphs',  which is the official British Army account of the progress of 4th, 8th and 10th Indian Divisions in Italy from 1943 to 1945, and it's been splendid stuff. Admittedly this isn't an objective and balanced account - indeed, 'gung ho' seems appropriate -but it does convey a lot of atmosphere, and the mindset of those who were actually there. I've read it with a modern map of Italy  ( 1 cm to 4km ) close at hand so as to follow progress, and that has helped no end. Describing fighting near San Marino in September 1944, we have 'of this battle, as of nearly every battle in Italy, the story is really of two battles  -  the storming of the high ground by the infantry, and the equally grim fight against time by the sappers and armour to construct crossings and to get support weapons forward before the enemy could throw his reserves at the newly won positions'. The Germans certainly did not simply stand on the defensive - there are challenges for  both sides. It strikes me that the Italian campaign involves markedly different terrain to  North-West Europe, including quite a lot of mountains! And not just wheel-to-wheel tanks, either.  I think that will make it more interesting, certainly 'different'.  

It might be fun to feature the Indian troops quite prominently - given that in  the Indian divisions, each brigade always contained one British battalion, I think I may be able to place my fictional 'West Suffolks' infantry into an equally imaginary Indian Brigade  battling though Italy. Obviously I will need to get some Indian troops mustered  - I have some figures , and am now researching a bit about the various Indian regiments, and which can be portrayed using the dress  (especially headwear) of the available figures.   Unit organisations are going to be inspired by the Rapid Fire rulesets, and Rapid Fire Reloaded looks like it might be a good choice for rules for the games, perhaps alongside  'The Portable Wargame'.  See the picture below for a Rapid Fire organisation - British infantry battalion with attached armour and artillery. 

 

I may need more Bren Carriers..

So, the next steps with this are simply to get some Indian troops organised and painted, and get them into some sort of action - also think a bit more about terrain. I may need more hills, too.. 

The third mainstay will I hope be the 'Pike and Shot' period, and I am deterimined to get this going pretty soon. 'Back in the day' this was my main interest,  hence the title and quotation at the top of this blog, so I feel the need to live up to the billing! 

Having been interested in the period all these years, I knew I had picked up a few sets of rules - so I thought 'let's get them all together and see what we've got'.  Well, here's the collection: 

what several decades of  impulse buying can achieve..
 

I had not realised just how bad my rules-buying habit had been... Fifteen in all, do you recognse them? The bottom row is proper vintage, along with the original Forlorn Hope, which I think I rather liked  ( the green cover, top centre with sadly decapitated title is Renaissance Principles of War by T.M. Penn of Leominster, Herefordshire, c.2000 - I have no memory of acquiring, let alone playing, those ! ). George Gush's and Terry Wise's rules ( bottom right ) go right back to the start, late 70s/early 80s, happy days indeed! It would be great to eventually try every set, but I suspect that is a long shot - but I wonder about  little experiment to compare and contrast certain basic mechanisms. It might be quite interesting to just have a couple of foot regiments opposing each other, and play out the 'advance, give fire, charge!' sequence under each of a selection of rulesets, to see how they work. That could be instructive.. 

 But that's not all - there are two more recently-acquired sets waiting in the wings:

I like the look of both In Deo Veritas and Twilight of the Divine Right , especially as they both aim to play 'big battle' games, and that seems eminently possible given the relatively small armies of the period. In Deo Veritas acknowledges the inspiration of good ol' Volley and Bayonet, so they can't be all bad.   I mean to get a game set up with at least one of these quite soon, Until now I have told myself I will review my available figures, sort out the basing so it's all standardised  ( and magnetic )  , and give them proper professional flags and standards in place of the terrible teenage efforts  they are currently lumbered with, and then put on a game.  I think that's not the right approach - I need to get them out, stick them to temporary cardboard bases if necessary, and get them on the table! They've waited long enough. 

So far, perhaps all too similar to the thoughts expressed in my 50th Post in early 2021, which just shows how time flies with too little achieved. But I do have a secret weapon this time, in the form of ( I hope) a bit  more time to devote to all this nonsense. Such are the joys of redundancy  (  I'm not necessarily calling it 'retirement' just yet - that seems, well, so final... but who am I kidding? ) and once all the related admin is sorted out, I do plan to devote more time to the stuff featured on this blog.

As with every other wargamer, there are many, many more 'projects' that take one's fancy for a while and may or may not go anywhere - for example Alan Tradgardmastare mentioned the other week that Lamming miniatures were available again, and I was leafing through a vintage copy of Phil  Barker's DBA, and thinking 'just a small number of figures - Greeks and Persians?'  Hmmm... And what about 19th Century Europe? I wouldn't mind uniting Italy in 1859, and I have a copy of Bloody Big Battles and Neil Thomas' excellent book on the period - how about 6mm or 10mm scale? I just re-joined the Continental Wars Society, too.    Marlborough period?  Slightly intrigued by the other theatres of war, especially Spain.  Italian wars of the 15th/16th Century? Certainly colourful.  Then there's air combat - always had a soft spot for that, since Mike Spick and his genius idea of bisected model aircraft kits back in the day.. and so it goes on.  Not sure how many of those will ever see the light of day, but one can dream!   

For the moment, probably best stick to the three main axes of advance described above, and see how we get on in my new circumstances.  So,  time to stand up, shoulder that pack, and resume the march, by the left... Let's see where the road takes us, and here's to the next 100!  Keep well, and safe, everyone.    


29 comments:

  1. Well done matey, 100 all ready! Blimey. All of the future projects sound interesting but Italian wars and aircraft would be interesting diversions for sure. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM! I still have the 1/72 aircraft that were used with the Mike Spick rules, and will show them in a future post. They were tremendous fun, although dofights involving everything from a Gloster Gladiator to an Me 262 were perhaps not the most realistic..

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your first 100 David.
    Sounds like you won't have any idle time (or money) judging by that list of potential periods/projects! Looking forward to reading about the campaigns of your Indian Brigade (Gurkhas and Sikhs?) in Italy.

    Regarding the rules, I haven't tried many of those. Just In Deo Veritas (I can recommend them for big battles in a reasonable time), and Twilight (sort of - at least the sister set for mid-18th C). Max Foy's version of C&C are also good. I even had fun with my home-brewed rules too when I first set out on my ECW journey a few years back. But out of all of them, my fave book is the Wesencraft. Never tried the rules, but I love reading the book!
    Chris

    PS I have FK&P too - no hope of shifting it in your direction then :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - indeed I don;t think all the possible projects will reach the gaming table! It looks like an Indian brigade could happily include both Gurkhas and Sikhs, and I quite like the idea of that.
      I will certainly be trying out 'In Deo Veritas' and 'Twiglet' - and thanks for the reminder of MS Foy's rules too! I also have Bob Cordery's 'Portable Pike and Shot' which must be worth a try. I agree entirely about the Charles Wesencraft book, and have been re-reading bits of it this week. Someone suggested using his rules but substituting one 'base' for one figure - which seems quite a good idea.
      For King and Parliament - well, Simon is such an enthusiastic presenter, I got carried away at a show and bought his rules! I think they could be quite fun - if I can actually get the armies into use, they may be worth a try sometime..

      Delete
    2. Wesencraft is a favorite of mine too but have yet to try the rules. If you want to try another set of ECW rules in a remote game setting, let me know. I have rules that I think produce a good, fast-paced game.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jon, that's a very kind offer! Can I bring a friend (or two)? - you already know the guys I am thinking of. If so, we'll see if we can arrange something, it will be a pleasure, I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I recognize most of your rulebooks. I have almost all of the vintage ones in my (overgrown) rules library. I would really enjoy seeing a Compare and Contrast with your rules.

    Oh, and congratulations on Post #100!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I'm sure many of us have a similar 'shelf of shame' holding all the never-played rulebooks. I do think a few comparison sessions might be interesting - rather as Norm does with WW2, with a couple of tanks per side to try out the basic rules mechanisms.

      Delete
    2. Sheesh! I missed turning off bold!

      Delete
    3. No worries Jon, it's a long way from there to here, sometimes you have to shout :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 100th post. It is a good time to pause and see how things are standing and think about where to direct your efforts. Good luck on the next 100. I’m enjoying our sharing of comments as well. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, yes a good time to mull over what comes next. Thanks for your comments too!

      Delete
  5. One hundred not out, hurrah! Polite clapping from the member’s stand and a hearty fist bump from me through blogging, sorry batting gloves.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Alan, I raise my bat to the stands in acknowledgement.. I am strongly tempted by a few Lamming ancients, they look nice and could work for DBA, or Bob's 'Portable 3x3' - thanks for the hint!

      Delete
  6. Hello there old chap,

    Many congratulations on reaching the 100! You are quite right about it being a suitable point to pause and reflect on what you are doing and why you are doing it. It is always good for the soul to take stock of where you are at and certainly you seem to have an enviable selection of projects to dabble in - this is also a good thing in my experience as it helps to keep your interest ‘fresh’.

    I liked the picture of the ECW rule sets - plenty of variety in terms of approach - and I certainly recognise a few from my own infrequent dabblings in the period!

    I have also been looking at Rapid Fire Reloaded so would be keen to hear what your thoughts are in due course.

    Finally, any rule set that tips its hat to Volley and Bayonet would certainly hold my attention!

    So in closing old chap many congratulations once again and I am looking forward to where your ragged soldier meanders to during the next 100 posts!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, yes a good time to stop and think a bit. I will be trying to do a game with 'In Deo Veritas' quite soon, I hope - and 'Rapid Fire Reloaded' as soon as some Indian troops get painted!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the 100 and also for having reached a point of liberating some more personal quality time.

    Good to read your plans and deliberations and of course we all plod on at a ….. well plodding rate, but it is all satisfying. I smiled when your reference to Rapid Fire Reloaded made you think of more bren carriers … that page must surely do the same for all of us, the Plastic Soldier Company will be pleased :-)

    Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Norm, indeed I am now able to answer these comments in the middle of a weekday afternoon - a previously unknown luxury!
      I read somewhere that the Bren carrier was in fact the most-produced AFV in history, would you believe? Having struggled to build the vintage Airfix kit, I was quite glad to pick up a couple more at a show 'bring and buy' for a bargain price, and am on the lookout for more..

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the centenary David.
    The Minifigs Prussians. Your block painting looks fine; neat and tidy.
    If they meet your requirements that's all that matters. You could of course combine your block painting with black lining which lifts it in a stylised way. I use a black undercoat and paint leaving some black showing between areas; however I know black undercoat is not for everyone and can make it difficult to "read" areas. The alternative is "black lining" a technique beloved of older wargamers where typically black ink is used to outline different areas. It does require a steady hand and fine brush. There is a third alternative, one I'm contemplating experimenting with. This is to use a black wash on a white undercoat and then hopefully exploit the black in the recesses. I've had some success with contrast paints but miss the sharp delineation between areas from a black undercoat.
    WW2 Italian theatre.
    Hills yes, and you will also have to think of a way to create mountains as a lot of the actions featured fighting over one "line" or another. Fictional regiments are the way to go. Can I suggest some Indian units? How about the 5th Rajastan Infantry and the 3rd Loyal Hindi Rifles (The Duke of Suffolk's Own). You could of course be more whimsical and have something like the Royal Bhurphas....
    Pike and Shot
    I have huge amounts of Italian Wars figures in 15mm awaiting the brush and in an act of probable folly have added 15mm ECW! Hence the thoughts on speed painting techniques....
    I have many of the rule sets, recently adding For King & Parliament. I used the WRG Gush rules before moving to the Terry Wise set in my previous forays into ECW. Stuart Asquith swore by the Bayonet set, but sadly I only acquired a set after the 28mm had been sold. I have the VnB derived set as well as "Tilly's Very Bad Day" (which should appeal to you!). All have their merits; I'm looking for single base big battle sets myself.
    It's probably wise to restrict yourself to a limited number of projects. My advice is plan the size before you begin and beware "scope creep" as that will set you back. Establish the size of the army, stick to it until completed . Avoid the temptation to add more; that can always wait until phase two. Sadly, I have fallen down this diversion many times, so know the perils only too well!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, and this is all good advice, as ever!
      With the Minifigs, I admit I find black undercoating makes it hard to see details when painting, and I suspect also means more coats required for white breeches and coats etc. I have toyed with the idea of black outlining, I wonder if fine-pointed artists' pens might do it? Pure white underocat can be a problem when I 'miss a bit' on the top coats, it really stands out. I think your idea of white undercoat followed by black wash sounds good, and worth a try.
      Indeed the Italian theatre will need some thinking about regarding terrain, but should pay off by being more interesting, I hope. It's also much more of an infantryman's battle, which I think is a good thing. Fictional units are the way to go, I think - but perhaps not too outlandish. For starters I think perhaps adding an extra battalion to a real regiment could be good - names like Rajputana Rifles and the Frontier Force Regiment are already rather evocative. I may keep away from the 'Carry On' influences!
      I too started with George Gush/WRG for ECW, and my 30YW armies were orginally recruited for Terry Wise's rules. I have heard of 'Tilly's Very Bad Day' and will look out for them - I think they are a free download.
      Entirely agree about keeping projects tight - now let's see if I can actually do that! Good luck with your Italian Wars and/or ECW...

      Delete
    2. Many years in the past I used to black line with a Rotoring pen so I'm sure it would be possible to find a modern artist's pen.
      For the black wash on white, I'm going to experiment with the various washes available (Army Painter strong and dark tone, GW Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade). I also have some black ink and the new version of Klear floor polish which supposedly can make a good black wash. Need to experiment with washes before and after painting.
      Neil

      Delete
  9. Well done on your 100 not out as we head towards the end of the season. I recognise a few of the titles, quite enjoyed FK &Parliament unlike Chris! Mainly used Warlords Pike and Shot but also had a go at Victory without Quarter which does have the benefit of being a free download, got a soft spot for Impetus so would be interested to see how baroque works. I'm with you on the temporary cardboard bases and pushing figures around, it provides extra incentive to paint things I find!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Iain. Both 'FK&P' and Baroque I would like to try out, and perhaps a 'mini-test' with just a unit or two will be a good start. Indeed, getting some figures on the table is the way forward!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your century David! As it happens, I will be participating in a game of FK&P tomorrow, so if you pop over to my Bydand blog over the weekend, there will likely be a report on proceedings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations David. Any friend of Volley and Bayonet is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Richard, I really like 'V&B' ( though have not actually played them!) so I hope 'In Deo Veritas' will be good. We shall see..

      Delete