Sunday 9 April 2023

Forming an orderly (Painting) queue

I've been meaning to take up the paintbrushes for a while and not quite got around to it - there is plenty of unpainted lead and plastic waiting patiently in various boxes, which need my attention.  A few different circumstances combined to decide what to prioritise : 

1.  18th Century inspiration

I still have quite a few 18th Century figures awaiting painting, including lots of those that came from Eric Knowles collection and inspired me to start this blog - but what has nudged me to get some more 'tricorne' troops mustered was Neil Patterson's recent examples of lovely Spencer-Smith figures on his blog Aufklarungsabteilung.  Neil had very generously gifted  me some surplus Spencer-Smiths, and it's high time I  got some of them painted.  I've decided they will represent  troops from Saxony,  a 'third force' who may side with either  Austrians or Prussians according to whatever  the shifting alliances of my imaginary corner of Central Europe dictate. So, we have 16 infantry and 6 cavalry,  which will make a  couple of Portable Wargame units of foot and one of horse. Specific units yet  to be decided, but the cavalry will be cuirassiers, I think. I won't make as good a job as Neil has, but it should be interesting to try painting this very 'old-school' figures. The officers and ensign came already painted, but in a pale blue uniform (possibly a previous owner's  imagi-nation): sadly I can't really use that, but will try to simply give them new coats and flag while leaving other parts unchanged. Fingers crossed..

Spencer-Smiths: potential recruits for Saxony
 

While I am at it, my Prussian army really needs a further stiffening with line infantry, and I still have plenty of my 1970s-vintage Minifigs Prussian musketeers, awaiting refurbishment, so I have lined up another 16 of those for painting - two more foot units in Portable Wargame terms. Here they are, after a quick spray of grey acrylic primer  The ( slightly singed ) backdrop is a wooden box from a rather upmarket brand of ready meals available here in the UK - when  its original use is done with, quite handy as a painting tray..

Minifigs: vintage Prussians

2. Epic Freebies

The April issue of Wargames Illustrated magazine in the UK includes a free sprue of Warlord Miniatures new 'Epic ECW' figures. My copy carried the Cavalry variant, and here they are

Epic ECW from Wargames Illustrated
 

These are officially 13 or 14mm, I think, but should fit perfectly well with my 15mm 'Pike and Shot' armies, and apart from various mounted troops there are some foot figures ( possibly mounted dragoons and/or firelocks ) and a couple of small cannon - all pretty useful stuff.  I have sprayed them with primer, now just need to decide how they can be fitted in to my existing armies. On Instagram, Mike Siggins has featured the infantry sprue which is also available - he is quite impressed with them,   though less so with the cavalry, he says. They don't look too bad to me, with good but simple detail and the correct proportion that is more possible with plastics - they are hard plastic too, so they won't shed paint. And they were free! 

 

3. Trial  DBA Forces 

Following my recent post debating options for Ancient Greeks vs Persians, I took the plunge and bought sets of HaT 20mm figures - 'Alexander's Macedonian Army' (set 8088)  and 'Achaemenid Persian Army' ( set 8117 ). Full marks for Models 2U website for good prices and very prompt delivery. 


Each set is a mixture of figures from several other sets, giving a spread of all types in the relevant army and ideal for rules such as DBA.  Consulting my vintage DBA edition, I was quite easily able to select figures for a suitable army for each side ( sadly, no chariots for the Persians ). I spent a pleasant sunny Good Friday afternoon sat in the garden, cutting out  cardboard bases and lightly glueing the figures to them, just to see what they would look like  - and here they are: 

Alexander's all-conquering army..

 

..and the mighty Persian host


I was quite tempted to use 10mm or 6mm ( or even 2mm ) figures for these armies and go for the 'mass effect', but  given the rather symbolic nature of the DBA units/elements, I think larger figure scales and correspondingly fewer figures can work ( think of them more like chess pieces? ) , and these 20mm plastics are cheap too.  They will get a 'stiffener' coat of diluted PVA glue ( as they are soft plastic ), then a spray of primer, then the painting proper will commence - I am going to try a  'limited palate' approach to keep things simple. I will probably have to remove them from the bases to paint, and they come without long spears and pikes, so I will be raiding the plastic broom/brushes in the house for bristles to use for those..  I suppose I could even give them a try with the DBA rules right away, and never mind the painting - 'sacrilege' to some! 

So, now I just need to try to make a habit of picking up the paintbrushes for a short session  every day or so, and we'll see how all these various mini-projects shape up. I'm hoping that the variety will keep things interesting..

 

Jon Freitag's picture of his brilliant AWI game setup
 

Meanwhile, there has been some gaming, at a distance: I was lucky enough to be invited to one of Jon Freitag's excllent remote gaming sessions, where I played one of the British commanders in a game set in 1776 Long Island.  I'm afraid our attack on the revolting Colonials didn't go too well, but it was great fun all the same - many thanks to Jon ( who has documented proceedings in a typically well-presented  battle report  )  for brilliant hosting,  and my fellow players Chris 'Nundanket' , Mark 'Jolly Broom Man' and Steve ( of Postie's Rejects fame ). A really pleasant evening was had! 

Finally, I was  impressed with what Mark ( Man of Tin ) has done with the 28mm WW2 figures (acquired free with magazines) which I passed on recently : he is 'kit-bashing' them into  inter-wars imagi-nations skirmish forces, and  provides an interesting  progress report and insight into his approach, here - I will be fascinated to see how they look when painted up.  Great to know they are being used so well, when they could so easily have just been thrown away! 

That's all for now, but as you see I have plenty to be going on with. Keep well, everyone, and a Happy Easter to you all. 


 

 


 

 

 

 

18 comments:

  1. David, you are spoiled for choice on the painting front.
    Thanks for the kind words on the remote Long Island game. Great having you take seat at the table and hope to see you return.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes part of the painting plan is to have some choices, to give a bit of variety. The AWI game was great, even if it didn't go too well for 'my' troops! I would be only too happy to return, if invited :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter!
    I enjoyed seeing your painting queue and interesting projects ahead. I look forward very much to seeing where you take them…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, and a Happy Easter to you too! Hopefully there will be updates on painting progress - half the reason for this blogpost is of course to motivate myself to get on with them!
      The DBA Armies are a new field for me, should be interesting. And there is scope for discussion of techniques, colour schemes etc in further posts as we go along - it's all good stuff..

      Delete
  3. Using temporarily unpainted figures makes total sense, keeps the enthusiasm growing during the long hard slog of army building. Interested to see how those warlord plastics turn out too. I’ve heard a lot of conflicting reports about them so I remain undecided. Really nice to play a game against you again mate. Zoom is definitely the future, especially when you get to play with other peoples lovely toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, indeed I may be tempted to use the DBA armies unpainted for a trial game - maybe just get them primed (perhaps in a different colour for each army) to start with. Otherwise it may be quite a while before they are completely done and ready for a game!
      I quite like the look of the 'Epic ECW' figures, the detail is very clear while the proportion is good - sometimes metal figures seem to exaggerate details, giving a sort of 'caricature' look.
      That said, the cavalry poses maybe look a little 'semi-flat', perhaps? Strangely enough the poses remind me a little of the old Spencer-Smith cavalry,
      It was great to 'Zoom' with you too, and of course Jon's lovely terrain and armies! Hope to do so again..

      Delete
  4. Gosh. Looks like you're going to be a busy boy David.
    I could only find Wargames Illustrated with the cavalry sprues. They look good to me as well. Though it looks like everyone expressed a preference by buying up the infantry one first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, busy indeed - though you may have noticed I did not suggest any time deadlines for finishing them! But half the point of the posting was to act as a motivator, let's hope it works..
      Indeed, I wonder if everyone has bought the magazines with the 'Epic' infantry first? By chance I have plenty of Pike and Shot infantry I think, but need more 1640s-style cavalry and dragoons, so the set I got is good for me!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the painting David, and thank you for the kind words.
    Some inspiration for painting Spencer Smiths other than my style:

    https://battlegames.co.uk/back-to-basics/

    https://battlegames.co.uk/prunkland-prepares/

    https://mavisming.blogspot.com/2011/08/painting-spencer-smiths.html

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Neil, some interesting articles there. I am curious to give the Spencer-Smiths a try, see if I can get the hang of painting them - I think 'keep it simple' had better be my watchword. Your pictures of your completed figures are genuinely inspiring!

      Delete
  6. Plenty to keep you going there! Good to see your SYW gaming has still got legs. Good idea to do the Saxons. Thought: maybe those light blue figures were painted as Bavarians.
    Interested to see how the ancients project works out.
    Happy Easter
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes I thought it was time the 7 Years War got a look-in again. I did wonder if those officers were supposed to be Bavarian, though I think Neil said the previous owner may have been doing some sort of 'imagi-nation'. I am going with Saxony, as I have the 'Betwen Scylla and Charibdis' books from Helion to refer to, and some sympathy for them - 'what if' they had not surrendered at Pirna?
      The DBA armies are a bit of an experiment - we'll see how they go!

      Delete
  7. The Spencer Smiths are such nice figures - I've got a small bag of them somewhere and need to take the plunge and get them painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so very evocative of Charles Grant, Young and Lawson and all things 'old school'; it will be interesting to see what I can make of them. Fingers crossed for both of us!

      Delete
  8. I painted a small hoard of SS tricorne fellows as a commission a couple of decades ago. The final result was ok but I HATED them all the way through . (What's this lump? Oops! (Many were fragile antiques..) but many other people enjoy them so give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, especially for your honesty! I am a little apprehensive, I admit. I am hoping a 'keep it simple' approach will be OK.. At least the figures I have don't seem to have suffered from the dreaded plastic rot..

      Delete
  9. Very interested to see the soft plastics getting PVA followed by primer. I had heard of the PVA treatment, but not followed by primer, I will try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm - I think I need to point out that I have no idea what I am doing, have not painted soft plastics in several decades!!! So I was just guessing that I should try PVA to 'stiffen them up' a bit, then primer to give a base coat for the paint colours.( I'm sure back in the day someone would have suggested 'banana oil', but I never had a clue where one might get any of that.. ) We'll see how it goes..

      Delete