Wednesday 19 April 2023

Starting with Saxony.. and Salute

Having set up a 'painting queue' in the previous post, real life promptly got in the way and not much hobby time has been available - I'm sure you all know the story.  But I have made a small start, with the Spencer-Smith figures who will be representing the forces of Saxony in the Seven Years War. 

I have a couple of Portable Wargame infantry units and one of cavalry in the queue, and have been deciding how to paint them, and what real-life units to represent. I have two sources of information; the Helion books Between Scylla and Charybdis ( parts 1 and 2 ) by Marco Pagan, and the amazing Project Seven Years War website on Kronoscaf.com.  

An appealing feature about the Saxon Infantry is their bright and varied colour schemes despite the rather generic 'white coat'  uniform - there are large areas of facing colour in the outfit, and the various regiments give  several different facing colour options - Sky Blue, French Blue, Dark Red, Crimson, Green , Yellow etc. They look to me exactly as the layman would expect for a soldier of this period - and as I remember seeing soldiers portrayed in an opera production of The Barber of Seville.  They do look like a classic 'Imagi-Nation' as dreamed up by Charles Grant or Henry Hyde.

Saxon infantry from Between Scylla and Charybdis
 

Hmm... red is a bit obvious, sky blue could be fun, but what about  Yellow? I also looked at the notes on regimental histories - I decided I wanted to portray troops from 1756, in the imaginary scenario where they did not surrender to the Prussians at Pirna. I want to 'nod' to Pirna too - I looked for units which having surrendered, promptly deserted en masse and marched away to join the fight against Prussia!  Given those criteria, I am going for the Prince Friedrich August regiment, with their White Coats and bright Yellow facings.  Here is an image of the uniform details, from the relevant page on Kronoskaf  - I hope they won't mind me copying  it here

from Kronoskaf.com -  Source: Hannoverdidi

Marco Pagan's book seems to show a slightly different scheme of white gaiters and buff-coloured breeches, which I think I would like to  go for - but a quick re-read for 1756 accuracy is required.  I think this should be fun, and they will look pleasingly  'different' if I can make a decent job of them. I have made an easy start by giving them a first 'base coat' of white pretty much all over, we'll see how it goes. The cavalry are going to be Cuirassiers, in basic white coats with blackened  cuirass for active service - actual unit and facing/trim colours yet to be decided. There seem to have been six cuirassier regiments with the choice of Red, Sky Blue, Dark Blue, Yellow, Green or Orange facings - but again I will consider the 'moral fibre' shown by regiments after Pirna! 

I'll keep this brief ( matching my progress ) for now, better to do some more actual painting than pontificate here!   One other hobby event coming up is of course Salute 50 this Saturday at the Excel in London, I will be there and will aim to join Big Lee,  Bob Cordery and others  at the proposed  blogger snd vlogger meet-up   there.   If any of you are going along, it'll be great to meet and have a chat. Meanwhile, keep well, everyone.  

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Yellow, usually a hard colour to put down should be so much easier against a white base coat. Enjoy Salute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I admit I may have chosen a rather 'challenging' facing colour, but just couldn't resist trying it! Salute is a huge show, the program lists 60+ games and ( I think ) 130+ tradestands - also quite challenging! Good shoes are essential..

      Delete
  2. A Saxon Army will look smashing! Have fun at Salute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - I think it will be a Saxon 'contingent' or 'detachment' to start with, but it should be fun. I am looking forward to Salute, I hope it will be back to its old self, after taking a hit in the pandemic.

      Delete
  3. Sadly won't be at Salute.
    Breeches were facing colour up until 1745 when changed to white with black gaiters. Officers wore yellow breeches throughout (for the two yellow faced regiments). From 1753 to 1760, sometimes buff leather breeches were worn instead of white with black or white gaiters.
    Musicians wore reversed colours generally.
    Looking forward to pictures!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, very useful! I like the buff leather breeches, to add a bit of variation to the colour scheme, and white gaiters seem to work well with that too. I do like the reversed colours for musicians, I have a drummer and there is an illustration of one on kronoskaf which will be a good guide. My painting skills are basic, but if I keep it simple, I hope they will be OK.

      Delete
  4. They look lovely, good luck with them. I always wonder what some of those uniforms would have looked like after a week on the march!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I hope they will be fun. I do agree about the uniforms, sometines smile at beautifully detailed paint jobs on figures with perfect uniforms and shiny buttons, and think 'all these battles must be happening in the first week of campaign season'... Though I did once read that at Borodino, French troops ( maybe just the Guards) were ordered to wear full dress uniform, which they had carried in their rucksacks all the way there!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of choosing regiments that deserted on mass from the Prussians to continue the fight. As well as the Austrians, didn’t some serve with the French? Seem to remember seeing a Saxon column present at Minden.
    Shame I can’t make it to Salute this weekend. Hope you have a good meet up and enjoyable day.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - I decided I wanted units that had shown a bit of 'backbone' when given the chance! It seems that the deserters from Prussian service ( called 'Revertenten' ) crossed into Austrian territory first, but eventually were taken into French service as a Saxon corps, which may have numbered up to 10,000, mainly infantry. They were at Minden and several other battles - Marco Pagan's book gives an account of their campaigns.
      Sorry to miss you at Salute, watch this space (and other blogs are available) for inevitable pictures!

      Delete
  6. Not going to Salute , ironically I could have been in London en famille this weekend but chose not to. I wish in a way I had thought more carefully as l could have fitted Salute into plans. I shall be with you all in spirit.
    Looking forward to seeing the Saxons…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, sorry to miss you - although such a big show may have taken a very big chunk out of your time in London, which family may not have appreciated so much! I will show pictures of both Salute and Saxons in the near future, I hope.

      Delete
  7. The Saxons should look good when done. Nice that you have thought about the back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I hope they turn out OK! I did want a bit of 'story' to my units: the first few came with Eric Knowles' notes on how he wanted them, then I had some of my own veteran Prussians which I wanted to paint 'properly' for the first time, and fitted into the Von Kleist vibe from Eric, so I will try to keep giving any additions some sort of narrative. I see the Saxons as a 'third force' in my slightly imaginary corner of Central Europe in the 1750s, able to join either side as fancy takes me. So, not sticking with the Pirna surrender and subsequent aborbtion into the French army seemed an idea, and maybe imagines a Saxon army better treated by its own government!

      Delete
    2. hmmm... I may be over-thinking this(!)

      Delete