Sunday 9 February 2020

Making a start : a little piece of history

Welcome to my novice blog.  I've been reading and enjoying other gamer's efforts for a few years now, let's see if I can add anything worthwhile to the conversation - and perhaps give and get a little enjoyment along the way.

I have  been following others progress, but my own has been pretty slow; time and space have been in short supply.   But the efforts of  others out there have been nagging at me, and I hope to make some sort of effort to join in the fun.  So, here goes..

With many  thanks to David Crook, I have recently been fortunate enough to acquire a little share of wargaming history:  a small part of the collection of the late Eric Knowles.  Fond childhood memories of Charles Grant's 'The War Game'   drew me  to the Seven Years War items, and I have acquired a ( slightly random, admittedly ) selection of mainly Austrians and Prussians - some painted, some not.    Meanwhile, I've been intrigued by Bob Cordery's 'Portable Wargame' series,  and having read his 'Portable Napoleonic' volume, perhaps it will fit my 'time and space'  constraints?  Can an enjoyable and rewarding game be played within my limits? 

So I give you, my Portable Seven Years War  brigade-level forces.

The Austrians :  General Dachs' brigade



My Austrian  force,  for now,  are a makeshift lot: many not even Austrian, but lured into service no doubt by the promise of the bright lights of the Viennese society whirl.  Others hurriedly  re-trained from their original roles.   They are, borrowed from General Badger's  British force in the brigade-level scenario in Bob's book,  as follows :

General Dachs  - commander ( 6 Strengh Points )

Grenze Hussars  ( 3 SPs)

Artillery :  ( 2 SPs  )  - owing to David Crook's indisposition, recruitment of Austrian guns and gunners had been delayed.  A bizarre sort of Lend-Lease saw Prussian gunners step in..

Grenze Foot :  ( centre, in white :  4 SPs ) - in reality, dismounted comrades of the Hussars

'Rifles'  :  ( left rear, in white :  3 SPs  )   - more dismounted Hussars

1st and 2nd Jagers ( at rear, each 4 SPs )   - let's call them 'Wildgänse' ,   recently persuaded to fly from Prussian discipline to Austrian comforts.

I hope no-one minds this ad-hoc approach ; I think they are lovely 'old-school' figures , and  Eric's painting is very pleasing ( and well beyond my abilities ),  so let's get them into action, and not take things too seriously.  'Button-counting' doesn't suit us Ragged Soldiers.  I have various unpainted Austrian infantry in reserve, but they will need time  and potentially scary practise to mobilise.

Where possible I'd like to avoid paperwork and 'roster-keeping', so I have tried to have unit sizes reflect strength: hence the Infantry units consist of 8 figures ( 2 per Strength Point ) ,  Artillery  has 1 gunner per SP,   'Rifles' 1 figure per SP, and Cavalry  1 'base' per SP - albeit the bases being 'two twos and a one'  so as not to overcrowd their allotted space.  Thus good old-fashioned figure/base removal will allow us to track loss of SPs.



Enough for now - next, the Prussians.

11 comments:

  1. What an excellent start to your career as a blogger. I look forward to following your blog as it developed.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere Mr B, an auspicious start, and like Bob I look forward to following your work with interest. I hope to see the records of some of our regular games inscribed in these pages for the interest and amusement of our wargaming peers!

    Actually Bob, Dave was discussing with me some tweaks he was considering to make the Portable Napoleonic rules more suitable for a slightly earlier period - revisiting/removing the rules for squares and columns of attack for example - so I am curious to see how closely he was able to get that linear 18th C feel he was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, thank you very much for your kind words, and excellent 'Portable Wargame' books. Let's see where this takes us..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit late getting here, but my compliments - very pleasing. Welcome to the blogosphere. I look forward to seeing the adventures of these chaps. Google mostly doesn't allow me to follow blogs with sufficient anonymity these days, but if you will kindly allow us the chance to follow it I'll certainly give it a go. I'm also interested to see another application of the Portable Wargame. All the best with this project - I hope you have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone for a very warm welcome. I will take a look at the 'following' options - in haste to get something 'up and running' I have not yet looked at all the features, please excuse me for that. And I hope to post an account of General Dachs first engagement soon, with a little discussion of rules tweaks for 7YW - though really only a few were needed!

      Delete
  5. Excellent start and in a favourite period I shall look forward to following your progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much Graham - I hope it will be fun!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful figures and great to see them in action already. Looking forward to seeing more of your games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Maudlin Jack Tar, I like the figures very much. I can claim no credit for them, as I presume they were painted by Eric Knowles himself. As it happens, your own recent blog posts about playing 'The Portable Napoleonic Wargame' reminded me that I had been thinking of doing this - so thanks to you, too!

      Delete
  7. Hope that your blog gives you as much pleasure as mine has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks Alan, I have been inspired by several other blogs - inclduing yours!

    ReplyDelete