Saturday 7 October 2023

Macedon wasn't built in a day

Finally, after far too long getting round to the required painting,  I have a more or less complete Alexandrian Macedonian army for DBA rules.  This has taken months - I really don't know where the time goes, but clearly not on painting.  I do have a hunch that for me, painting small numbers of figures is slower than large batches - when you have a 'regiment' of 20-odd it's far easier to do a production line approach and do all the white, then the brown, flesh etc, but with only two or three of each variety of figure there's too much time spent switching between colours, washing brushes etc. That's my excuse, anyway! I noticed that doing the 16 Phalangites did seem quicker and easier than the 2, 3 or 4-strong other elements. Anyway, here they are in all their ( not very much ) glory:


As you can see they are pretty simply ( roughly!) painted; just block painting with a quick wash of 'light tone' for a little bit of shading, and finally matt varnished.  I did the cavalry first which may have been a mistake, I think I was getting a bit better when I did the infantry and I was quite pleased with the Phalanx! I think the bases may need an extra coat of green, some of them look a bit wishy-washy.

The full order of battle is as follows: 

Front Row ( l to r ) :     1 x  2LC Prodromoi  
                                  1 x 2 Ps Agrianians 
                                  1 x 2 Ps Archers
                                  1 x 3 Kn Companions

Back Row ( l to r ) :     1 x 3 Cv Greek Allied Cavalry
                                  1 x 4 Sp Mercenary Hoplites
                                  4 x 4 Pk Phalangites 
                                  1 x 4 Ax Thracian Peltasts ( standing in for Hypaspists )
                                  1 x 3 Cv Thessalian Cavalry
 
One further thing has occurred to me, which is that my Alexandrian Macedonian army is missing an Alexander.. I need to do something about that.  
 
So now, onwards and upwards -  I have a Persian army waiting to be painted. Here they are, in their prime(r) so to speak, after getting sprayed on a sunny day last April. Oh dear, it really has been months:
 

 
I am going to have a hard think about these and try to do more 'batch painting' if I can, as mentioned above - I'll try to do each colour on all figures that need it, rather than just doing 3 or 4 figures at a time. Keeping a very basic simple palette will probably help - although the Persians may not quite lend themselves to that!  we'll see how it goes.   It has occurred that I might commit heresy by playing a game of DBA with the (completed) Macedonians against the (only primed) Persians - though that is perhaps a bit unfair on Darius' chaps, denied their proper warlike finery.  
 
Mention of Darius reminds me that there is another thing missing - The Great King himself.  So we have Alexander vs. Darius, but no Alexander or Darius..  If only there was a large wargames show this weekend,  with loads of tradestands selling nice figures that might include a 20mm scale Alexander the Great and Darius of Persia... oh, hang on a minute, I remember now:



Yes, the aim is to go along to The Other Partizan on Sunday,  I suspect several readers of this blog will also be there.  If so, I'd be happy to chat, do feel free to say hello and slag off my rubbish painting..
 
So obviously if all goes OK,  the next post here  will be a report from The Other Partizan.. Until then keep well, everyone.

13 comments:

  1. Splendid looking chaps. Interesting to read your painting process / philosophy since I’m completely opposite to you in that regard. Have a great time at the show and don’t spend too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, I guess we all have our own way of painting, and I freely admit to being not very skilled or very steady of hand - so keep it simple and go for the 'mass effect' is my best bet!

      Delete
  2. Better late than never David! I think they look fine. Takes me back to the 70s seeing your Macedonians lined up.
    Enjoy Partizan. I was thinking Newark is too far for me (3 hours each way) but then I remembered I could have invited myself to stay at my sister's in Lincoln 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, well yes maybe I am making up for not having Macedonians in the 1970s! Seems to me that come next May, you need to be booking a family visit to Lincoln.. ( Partizan is about 2 hours for me, just about worth it ).

      Delete
  3. David,
    Batch painting is much quicker than dealing with individual figures or where there is variety in colours between figures. Irregulars are often slower to paint than regulars all in the same uniform.
    One tip is to restrict yourself to say three or four primary colours. Using one colour, do the trousers, another the jacket etc. Care should be exercised in picking combinations that work together. It's also possible to do say two colour combinations the same and mix up the stands later.
    For the Persians, I've only seen the tiara caps in yellow or white from surviving monuments etc.
    The lower social status psiloi an be in "natural" colours if you wish.
    By using only a restricted range of colours and having all the caps yellow, it helps tie the army together.
    I'm debating attending Partizan so may see you in person....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, all very good advice. I agree the limited palate is the way to go, and I think it gives a 'unity' to the units/army too. If you get to the show it would be a pleasure to meet you!

      Delete
  4. Good to see the brushes active! I reckon you will see Ray again this year too. Maybe Ray can share tips on fighting chariots in BI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, indeed Ray is planning to be there, and I will try to have a chat with him - 'The Rejects' are quite distinctive and easily spotted in the crowd!

      Delete
  5. They look good to me. I fear that I lack the will and determination to paint a big bunch of figures, 1 colour at a time. So, I lean to going with the self-reward of doing each stand at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, everyone had their own way of working, your figures look brilliant! I see that small batches give you variety and thus probably more interest. I think I go for the 'production line' and mass effect because my individual figure painting is not to a very high standard. Should I be doing 6mm instead, I sometimes wonder?!

      Delete
  6. The Macedonians look really good. I like and appreciate the use of a limited palette in an army and units. In comparison to my painting output your speed of production is at warp speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, yes I agree about limited palate, it's easier and it ties units together. We may be slow painters because we see it as a bit of a chore, would rather be researching or actually gaming? Many others find that the painting is the most enjoyable part of their hobby. Maybe I rather envy them..

      Delete
  7. Good to see them finished David:). I find the advice of using only 3 colours per unit works pretty well, with the exception of webbing etc, as it makes things a lot easier and possibly quicker? Enjoy the show and I look forward to a report and of course lots of picks!

    ReplyDelete