Tuesday 14 November 2023

Pressing on: Painting Plastic Persians

In between quite a lot of 'real life' ( including some '1:1 scale terrain' painting ), I have tried to keep on with painting my DBA Persian army to face Alexander's Macedonians,  concentrating mainly on the cavalry so far. I have no completely finished units yet, but maybe enough 'nearly done' to show here. 


So here we are, 'on the bottletops', so to speak . Front row left (green coats) are heavy cavalry with horse-armour, front right (Purple coats)  medium cavalry,   second row two more units of mediums (Blue, and Red).  Back row left is my sole infantry unit so far, some light archers, and back right is two bases worth of light cavalry. 

I've tried to go for a fairly colourful look while keeping a (relatively) limited palette, and taken inspiration from  Osprey  The Persian Army 560-330BC  ( the mediums loosely based on the 'National Cavalry' depicted there), and Phil Barker's Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars - in particular for the lighter troops, he thinks they would have simpler dress of natural wool material. He also mentions 'embroidery bands' on trousers and tunic, but I have not been so ambitious with my detail painting! Maybe on the next lot..

Here's another view, rather jumbled-up in the waiting area for further painting - they need a wash of 'soft tone',  then some varnish and finally basing.  Possibly a bit too revealing - don't look too closely! I make no claims to painting talent, and try to 'Keep It Simple, Stupid' ( I am certainly the latter )  but I think they will do at 'table distance'.  A minor success: at the suggestion of my old gaming  comrade Tony I tried doing the horses with a simple coat of 'contrast' paint ( Army Painter Speed Paint ), and I was very pleased with the result of that. 


 

 

When it comes to sources of inspiration, I have one other interesting picture - back in July I went to the British Museum to see an exhibition about ancient Greek and Persian culture, which included this : 

 

This is a modern reconstruction of an Ancient Persian outfit, which if memory serves was that of a member of the Imperial messenger service.  It certainly seems to reinforce the general impression of colourful clothing for those in the Achaemenids employ.  The patterning is interesting, and I think I should probably try to use a bit more of that if possible - I was a bit shy of trying it so far. Next up are the bulk of the Persian infantry and their mercenary Greek Hoplites, and I may need to be a bit more adventurous with the former! 

I'll keep this brief - need to spend some time preparing to participate in one of Jon Freitag's excellent remote games - this time set in the Spanish-American War of the 1890s. I'll be a Spanish commander, trying to hold the Dominica Plantation against assulting Yankees. We'll see how that goes - watch out for a no doubt excellent battle report from Jon!


After that,  it will be back to the Persians - really need to get them finished and actually try a game with them and the Macedonians!  Meanwhile keep well, everyone.  

19 comments:

  1. The Persians look great David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I am modestly pleased with them, I tried to keep things as simple as I could - while quite colourful, in true Persian style!

      Delete
  2. David,
    Your Persians are perfectly acceptable, neat and the colours work together. A wash should bring out the details. You are judging them before basing; figures always look untidy before finishing.
    Interestingly, you mentioned Contrast / Speed paints. This may be something you should explore as they give a nice effect for little effort. You can combine it with washes, although the first version of speed paints is said to reactivate.
    Another way to get good effects is to use a black undercoat and block colours as you use here, but leaving some black between areas.
    If you add patterns, do them in black first and add dots or stripes of colour, again leaving some black around the edges.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips, Neil. I am a Charter Member of the black prime and then wash School of Painting.

      Delete
    2. thanks Neil, I take 'perfectly acceptable' as a complement! All your points are excellent advice, and I am wondering if speed/contrast paints may be worth investigating more. I am going to try the 'black undercoat and borders' method soon on some SYW figures, I think. That tip about using black for patterns is a really good idea - thanks!

      Delete
    3. ..and thanks Jon. With both of you inspirational painters recommending that method, how can I not give it a try?!

      Delete
  3. Your Persians look good enough to me. I wouldn't worry about patterns like on the museum exhibit if that was the Great King's mail service. It's bound to be a high status 'uniform'.
    Have you read Persian Fire by Tom Holland (not the Spiderman one)? My favourite book on the ancient period. Not that I've read many, but if I had it would still be up there!
    Good game tonight! My boys took a kicking from Dave's chaps, and you had some bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I am happy with them for a first go. I think there would be quite a few 'high status' units in the Persian army, so I think at least some could have some more interesting patterns and I will try that - but I also took note that lower-status lighter troops would be more simply dressed. Have not read 'Persian Fire' but will keep it in mind, he has produced several books on the ancient/medieval world that look interesting.
      Yes that was a great game - though I seem to have lost it on a single roll of two dice!

      Delete
  4. You are making good progress on your Persians. I would enjoy seeing you pull off those colorful outfits in miniature. The SAW battle was a good one but compromised by one very unlikely roll of the dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I am keeping on with them, even if I do not match your work rate.. These are a first go, and I am going to try to be a bit more adventurous with the next lot ( it's fun to see Rob's 'old-school' Persians on The Eastern Garrison blog ).
      That was a great SAW game, thanks very much indeed - but sometines the dice gods just don't like us!

      Delete
  5. Well they look perfectly fine to me and once based and on the table top, I'm sure they will look even better:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I am happy with them and indeed once based, I think they will be fine. Then we'll see how they fight..

      Delete
  6. A good start indeed. As for the patterns, If you backed away from the display in the museum until it looked 1” tall, I suspect the pattern wouldn't be very visible if at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ross, I am happy with them as a first go. And you make a very good point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice colourful army … I would be a bit frightened to attempt painting patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, indeed I like the gaiety of their costumes. I reckon on giving just an impressionistic hint of the patterns - for example those trousers in the picture are more or less striped..

      Delete
  9. Colourful Persians indeed, I look forward to hearing of how they fight.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good looking Persians, I'm also in the prime it black and in my case try not to be too neat school of painting plus I only infrequently wash( figures that is!)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am thinking of giving the black primer method another go - and I have no trouble with 'not being too neat'!

      Delete