Tuesday 28 November 2023

Book Bargains - If You Hurry

There's been a lot of 'real life' recently and not much time for hobbies, though the painting of Persians continues (very slowly). I hope to make a bit more progress this week - in the meantime, my attention has been drawn to a couple of book bargains that might interest some of you out there.. 

Many will no doubt be aware of the Naval and Military Press - they are currently doing a 'Black Friday' promotion  ( I do so hate the whole Black Friday thing, I have to admit, but hopefully a bargain is a bargain), and a couple of their offers caught my eye: 

Firstly for the 'Toy Soldier' enthusiasts,  this : 

 


The History of Toy Soldiers, by Luigi Toiati.  I'll spare you the seller's hype but it seems it is 600+ pages with hundreds of colour photos, many of the author's own collection. Originally priced at £45, now on offer at £6.99 - N&MP can do some pretty good prices!   I'll add a couple of their  example page images: 



And a much more daunting prospect, but presumably a huge bargain for those interested in the subject, this :  British Warship Recognition - the Richard Perkins Warship Identification Albums. 


 


Seven volumes :  to quote the N&MP,  Richard Perkins tirelessly compiled and diligently drew an epic collection of hand-drawn profile recognition illustrations; he organised and categorised just about every single ship afloat within the Royal Navy between 1860 and 1939 as well as keeping track of their alterations and documenting them along the way.

Theses are on offer for £9.99,  each their original price being £70 each, it seems. So if you are very keen, you can have the lot for about £70 + P&P,  as opposed to £490!  For the real Naval enthusiast, this may be something of a treasure trove.. 

I will admit that I am neither a 'classic toy soldier' nor a naval history buff, so of course I can't vouch for either of these publications, but they do look interesting, and for those that are keen, well, Xmas is coming up.. I can say that I have bought quite a few books from Naval and Military Press, and their service has always been prompt and efficient, I have no complaints about them.  

For these and all the other 'special offers' from N&MP,  this link will take you to the relevant page of their website.  The Black Friday ( ugh!) event runs until the end of November, so a couple of days left at the time of writing ( if you miss the deadline, I have a feeling they will still be available, at only slightly increased prices.. ).   Happy hunting!

I hope to be back soon with some more 'active' hobby stuff,  meanwhile keep well ( and warm, as winter seems to be arriving here in UK ) everyone. 


 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for heads up , have ordered the toy soldier one..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I hope the book is good. I should be getting a commission for this...

      Delete
  2. David,
    I've spent far too much with N&MP over the years......
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I saw that David on their mailing list and thought a few bloggers might be interested. Glad you posted it so I don’t have to 😉
    Chris
    PS with you on ‘Black Friday’. I wouldn’t mind so much if we got the Thursday off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, glad to have savd you a job!
      I happened to be in London on 'Black Friday', and wandered into Oxford St briefly to see the crowds, but didn't stay long, too busy for me!

      Delete
  4. I have the toy soldier one - well worth buying if you have an interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I'm glad someone knowledgeable has endorsed that one. It did look nice in the advert, but of course it would!

      Delete
  5. Good pointer David. I've been in and snapped up some French Revolutionary Wars books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip! I found the toy soldier history on Amazon here in the states for $22 including a $4 shipping fee for the hardbound! And agree the black Friday business is nonsense: I make sure I'm home for the day when that rolls around. And I would love to stroll down Oxford Street again...and buy that 3 piece suit I saw in the shop window 48 years ago when I was on leave from the U S Army in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, glad you were able to find that book. I am imagining what a three-piece suit might have looked like in 1975; bright colours, wide trousers and huge lapels! Happy days..

      Delete