Monday 15 January 2024

Fnurban #27 Postively Proustian Pocket Publications

A couple of enjoyable recent charity shop finds:  from quite a large batch of 'Ladybird' books, I couldn't resist picking up  Robert The Bruce  and The Story of Napoleon

Ladybirds were an extensive series ( over 300 titles ) of small hardback books for children, produced from the about the 1950s onwards, and made a deep impression on several generations of British children, me included. These two are from their 'Adventure from History' series,  and give a (surprisingly unpatronising, non-childish) biography of the subject in 24 pages of text, with 24 pages of often rather  beautiful illustrations. As a child I had a well-thumbed copy of  Robert the Bruce, and when looking through that book yesterday I was amazed by how deeply all of the pictures ( by one John Kenney) had imprinted themselves on my memory! 

'by swift campaigns Bruce beat them in the field and captured their strongholds'

 

'The army which Edward II gathered to relieve Stirling Castle must have been a fine sight'

 

'his foot-soldiers were strong and sturdy, and each was armed with a long pike'

 

'At once the English trumpets sounded for the attack'

 
'Bruce swerved aside, and as de Bohun swept past, struck him to the ground with one blow'

 The narrative is concise and clear, and seems to pull few punches - quite early on it tells of Bruce stabbing to death his rival John Comyn, who Bruce accused of betraying him to the English King.('Comyn had deserved to die for his treachery towards Bruce', says the text), and shows an illustration of Bruce sheathing his dagger while standing over the (partially concealed)  body of  Comyn. Quite strong stuff for 7-year-olds!  Looking through the book was one of those interesting moments where one wonders at the workings of the human memory - I would not have seen these pictures for probably  over 50 years, and yet I knew every one of them.  For that reason alone, I'm glad to have found this little book. I suppose I should by rights be thinking about raising colourful Scots and English armies to refight Bannockburn - but I don't think I could paint all those beautiful coats of arms!

 


I didn't have the Napoleon book as a kid, but couldn't resist it - and I reckon it will be better, at least  from a historical accuracy point of view, than Ridley Scott's recent essay on the subject(!).  Interesting that there are, however, not many battle scenes in the book, the pictures ( also by John Kenney) seem to focus much more on the man himself.  Rather an effective 'Retreat from Moscow' picture, though.  

The text is interesting in that it concentrates on Napoleon's rise to mastery of Europe, and rather hurries through his decline - the invasion of Russia and subsequent distastrous  retreat, the campaigns of 1813/14 and the 'hundred days' and Waterloo are covered by only four ( out of 25 )  pages of text. The very first page sets out its stall boldly, as perhaps he himself would have : Napoleon Bonaparte was one of the two greatest soldiers the world has ever known...   Napoleon had more energy, more intelligence and a better brain than any other man in Europe ..  Discuss?

There has not been a vast amount of hobby activity over the recent holiday period, but a pleasant time was had, and the Covid infection that I reported on last time turned out to be about the mildest possible case, I'm glad to say; I was fine again within a few days. I have been spending a little time in the world of WW2 aerial combat, which I may report on next time (Tally Ho, chaps!), and another remote gaming opportunity has been kindly offered by Jon Freitag, and gladly accepted.   I hope you all had a pleasant holiday period - it's been interesting to see many bloggers' reviews of the year just passed and plans for the year to come. I'll report on some proper gaming soon,  in the meantime keep well, and a Happy New Year to everyone.

22 comments:

  1. Ladybird books - possibly the best thing ever.

    The pictures that forever stayed with me are from Richard Lionheart, as Richard and Saladin show off the might of their swords .. razor sharp for Saladin as he slashes a silk scarf in mid air and crushing for Richard as he breaks an iron bar. And then the picture of crossbow bolt from the castle wall that hit Richard in the chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, looks like many of us have similar memories! I suspect Ladybirds had almost as big an influence as Airfix on a generation of youngsters who became wargamers..

      Delete
  2. For me it was Alexander the Great.....

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGN8-sxPDY

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil! Alexander is of course the other 'greatest soldier' mentioned in the Napoleon book - and they helpfully point out that there is a Ladybird book on him available!

      Delete
  3. I remember many of these from the library. If you’re not going to do Medieval English and Scottish armies, at least you can but the volume on Alexander the Great as you already have the Macedonians:
    https://humford-mill-books.myshopify.com/collections/ladybird-books-series-561
    I checked to see if I’d somehow missed one of Frederick the Great.😉
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, indeed maybe I should look out for the Alexander book. Mind you, I paid a lot less in the charity shop..

      Delete
  4. I recall the Ladybird books - even spent a few months dispatching around the country for a book warehouse. Don't recall the historical ones, though. 24-page historiography must be hard to do well! But I know I would have loved those as a kid. I knew a love of history before I was 10 years old. The pictures are great, aren't they though?

    They remind me a little of those old Classic Comics, of which I had a few as a kid.

    Napoleon certainly had a lot of energy, but whether to say his was the greatest intelligence AND better brain than anyone else's in Europe might be a drawing a long bow. But I will say this, if Napoleon knew anyone who knew more than he did about a topic that was engaging his interest, he would hire/ engage him if he could. You could argue that Napoleon's 'meritocracy' was measured by how useful a given individual was to Napoleon. But, then, what might be said of today's 'meritocracy', even supposing one can, without sniggering, speak of such a thing?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archduke. I think these hit just the right balance with beautiful pictures and concise, non-patronising text. Indeed quite a challenge to sum up Napoleon in 24 small pages.
      I confess I have yet to read a biography of Napoleon - apart from this!

      Delete
  5. Great memories of the Ladybird History books! Robert the Bruce was one of my favourites, along with Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, looks like Alexander is the popular favourite, you are the third to mention him.. Caesar would be interesting - I get the impression he was 'great', but not 'good', I wonder how Ladybird writers handled that?

      Delete
  6. I remember the Ladybird series, having some on British Birds and vaguely recall some being in the Primary School library, but I can't think of any titles that pop into my head. The illustrations are wonderful and a nice potted history and not sparing too much the truth from kids, who enjoyed the odd bit of gore, or at least we seemed to when we were young. Now I feel a need to track down some titles...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, they did an amazing range of subjects, not just history - indeed many titles on nature and wildlife ( e.g. 'What to Look for in Winter' springs to mind!). They pop up in charity shops and second-hand bookshops, and are quite collectible these days, I think.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure us Americans had a Ladybird book equivalent.
    Glad you had a mild case of Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I assume there will have been something similar for you - but these are the original and best!
      It was the mildest possible dose of Covid, I got off very lightly indeed. At the same time, Jon Frietag was afflicted and is only just getting back to normal now - it really is a lottery!

      Delete
  8. Great stuff David. I reacquired a number for my sons because they made such an impression in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I hope your sons enjoyed them! I would certainly attribute some of my own interest in history to them. It occurs that these books, along with the output of Airfix, a diet of war movies on TV (plus in my case I admit, 'Biggles' books!) made a generation of boys just primed and ready when Featherstone, Grant, Quarrie etc came along...

      Delete
  9. Yes, I think I might be able to trace my love of history and tangentially of wargaming to a diet of Ladybird books from the local library in my formative years - I can just about remember my dad reading a few pages to me each night when I was that sort of age (4,5 don't really know?!) I remember both of these and many others too - Alexander the Great, Walter Raleigh, Francis Drake, Guy Fawkes etc etc .... as Norm says, possibly the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross, I'm sure these books had a great influence on many of us, and they are rather lovely things in themselves. I was amazed by how 'imprinted' on my mind ALL of the pictures from 'Robert the Bruce' were.

      Delete
  10. Ah , Ladybird books, lovely to see them. A memory of my childhood indeed. In my teaching days l recall vast numbers being skipped and l managed to save a few. I understand that many titles are not relevant or fit for purpose but they skipped ones on natural history, bird identification and the “ What to look for in …” seasonal ones as well.
    Ladybird has some beautiful artwork in them and is a national treasure in my humble opinion.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, you are indeed right, much lovely artwork and they are indeed worthy of the 'national treasure' label! I know you are on Instagram, are you aware of the @lbflyawayhome account there? A lady who has a huge collection of Ladybirds and associated artwork, and posts examples every day - well worth a look!

      Delete
  11. Beaut post David. I had a heap of them as a young fella. Fortunately my father was a bit of a kleptomaniac for things from one's past, so I still have them! The Story of Napoleon was the first book that I read about the man. Had me hooked. Great minds... I also pointed out that it'd make a far better film than the one released recently.
    You should try to track down the one on Alexander. It is a ripper too. The pictures a perhaps the least correct of all, since the Macedonians are all attired as Greeks. Look great though.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James. I had a few of these books but no longer - but I clearly remember Robert the Bruce. I may indeed have to look out for the Alexander book!

      Delete