Friday 29 December 2023

Xmas Gifts to Self - and one Unwanted Present

I hope everyone had a good Xmas, if you have been celebrating it.  Several bloggers  have been showing off  their 'hauls' of gifts, and I thought I might join in. I do make a rule of not asking my partner to buy me hobby-related gifts, however -  so any such items are purely 'gifts to self'.  Thanks to the inevitable 'Xmas sale' at the Naval and Military Press, I acquired a couple of interesting books. The first one was definately on the 'wants list', so it was great to see it come up as a special offer at a very good price : 

 

For anyone with an interest in the Seven Years War,  Christopher Duffy's books are a must-have, and this will join an expanding collection.  Prussia's Glory focusses on one month in 1757, during which Frederick of Prussia scored his tremendous victories at Rossbach and Leuthen. Duffy's writing style is eminently readable while also highly authoritative, and the book has a very manageable 190 pages. I am very glad to have it! 

And then I thought, might as well buy something else, as the postage (for UK buyers) is a fixed fee. Had a browse around, and this caught my eye: 


Battles and Battlefields of Ancient Greece by C. Jacob Butera and Matthew A. Sears looks pretty interesting.  Sub-titled A Guide to Their History, Topography and Archaeology , the authors (professors of Classics at US and Canadian universities) introduce it as a book designed for the traveller in Greece, whether the member of a tour group, the independent adventurer, or the curious scholar.  

Twenty battles are covered, ranging from  Marathon in 490BCE to Actium 31BCE, For each battle you get a historical outline section and one describing the battlefield today, diagrammatic map superimposed on satellite image, and suggestions for further reading. It's a truly 'weighty tome',  bieng of about 380 pages which are in heavy gloss paper - maybe not quite so handy when packing luggage! 

Having made a few holiday visits over the years to the Peloponnese, Crete, Pelion and Mani regions, I have liked Greece very much, and hope to get back there now that travel is normalising again. So this looks like it might be a pretty useful book which may influence choice of destinations.. I liked a comment in the introduction : Jenny Denault, Matthew Sears's wife and travelling companion, was with us at the American School, and has visited site after site with us since. Though we frequnetly tested her patience with our enthusiasm for dusty plains, she always kept us grounded and reminded us that beaches and seaside tavernas are a vital part of visiting Greece too,  I couldn't agree more!

Overall, I am very pleased with my 'Xmas gifts to self' -  not so much with an unwanted gift that was passed to me sometime in the past few days... 


After 3 years 9 months of avoiding it, it seems I have finally lost the viral equivalent the 'Whamageddon' game, and the the dreaded lurgi has caught up with me. Oh dear, bang goes our plan to host friends on NYE, among other things. I don't actually feel too bad so far, just like a common cold, runny nose etc but it has stuck around a few days. Hopefully it won't get any worse, and will pass soon enough.  At least I have plenty of interesting books to be getting on with in the meantime. As Jon Freitag  has said,  #IntrovertsDream.. 

Have a very Happy New Year, all,  and keep well, everyone. 

 


 


20 comments:

  1. Oh no! You too, David? I thought I had escaped the plague too. Nope! Hope you get well quickly.

    Duffy is a required book and your Greek battlefields book looks very interesting. Have yet to visit Greece and Crete but have long wanted to do so. Perhaps we should form a group trip to put your guidebook to scrutiny as we observe with a wargamer’s eye? Wouldn’t that be fun?

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes me too! Fortunately I am not feeling too bad, hopefully it will pass fairly quickly.
      A group meet-up on a Greek battlefield? That's quite an idea! I'll report back on whether the book is actually any good... I certainly hope to get to Greece before too long!

      Delete
  2. Hello old chap,

    Sorry to hear you have been struck down! I ave experienced it twice - the first was worse than the second - but have so far swerved it.

    Great looking ‘haul’ - Duffy is really good for the 18th century - and I have to agree with Jonathan re the Greek trip!

    All the best and hope ou feel better soon,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, this is my first encounter with the Covid, fortunately not too bad so far, fingers crossed.
      Indeed I am really pleased with the Duffy book - and you never know about Greece!

      Delete
  3. David -
    Well, you'll have time to read up those fine new volumes! I enjoy Christopher Duffy's historiography of the 7YW and Napoleonic Wars. You latest acquisition sounds like a fine addition to his literature.

    COVID's a bastard, but I must have caught a mild version, very bad first 24 hours, over it in a week. I had a much worse non-COVID cold a couple of years back that morphed into pneumonia. Maybe the antivirals made all the difference!
    Cheers, and GWS,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archduke, indeed the one silver lining may be the opportunity for some reading time. Luckily I think I have a mild version too, so far at least. Feeling better today than yesterday, fingers crossed...

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear your ill matey - get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, my immunity was perhaps lowered by that thrashing you guys gave me at Madonna dell'Olmo :)
      Luckily it's not been much worse than a bad cold so far, I am very glad to say!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear of the dreaded Covid. Just prior to Xmas I developed a cough and tight chest but didn't think anything of it. I was tired, but put that down to work and needing a break. The cough lingered and I wondered if it was Covid or just a winter bug. Didn't bother testing. Number 1 son seems to have come down with something. Both after Xmas social events. The answer appears to be not to leave the house! Or perhaps we go back to masks and hand protection?
    The worst aspect is it has left me unenthusiastic about achieving anything meaningful on the painting or modelling front; pushing myself to do something with the time off.
    Enjoy the Duffy books.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, sounds pretty much like you have had Covid! There is certainly 'a lot of it about' and I am pretty sure an Xmas social event was the trigger for me too. We all got a bit complacent, maybe (and they didn't do the booster jabs this year ).
      I hope you're feeling better soon and get your hobby 'mojo' back!

      Delete
  6. Agh! Sorry to hear about you contracting the lurgy David. Take it easy. This one can be a bugger to fully shift.
    That Duffy book is a great one. So much packed into those 190 pages. The Greek one looks interesting. Will you be reporting back on the key findings?
    All the best, and get well soon.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, glad to say it seems to be a pretty mild case so far, hopefully will pass soon enough.
      I'm sure Prussia's Glory will be a great read, and the Greek book I am hoping will be worth a go - and who knows what it might lead to!

      Delete
  7. Bad timing on the Covid front David. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, yes not the best timing but at least it didn't hit until after Xmas. Hoping it doesn't last too long or stop me reading!

      Delete
  8. Hope you don’t get bad a dose of it. Sounds ok so far. Just rest, give yourself time to recover, read and take it as some enforced ( albeit unwelcome) r and r.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, indeed I think so far this is a mild case. Doing indoor stuff, tidying the 'hobby area' :)

      Delete
  9. Some nice books there David and anything by Duffy is a real treat IMHO. Sorry to hear about the Covid, which we're pretty sure we had for most of November, but hard to tell as we didn't have any test kits in date at home. It really felt like a normal cold but one that just went on and on, which apparently the current variant is known for. All the best for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes that 'felt like a normal cold' is just what I had, the difference being we still had a test kit in the house and I eventually thought to use it! I am feeling quite a lot better already, I am glad to say, so I think this was a very mild case. Fingers crossed for 2024..

      Delete
  10. I wish you a speedy recovery. It's good policy that spouse should not try to get hobby gifts for us. Mine always tries and and fails pretty badly. Even when she does a gift card she usually gets one from some random company I've never heard of. 😁

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew and welcome back! I can confirm it has been a speedy recovery - clearly a very mild case, I'm glad to say.
      My partner is bemused enough by my hobby, so I don't presume to ask her to contribute!

      Delete