Friday 15 March 2024

'West Suffolks' on Parade

It took longer than expected, but I have pretty much completed my first 'D-Day Dodgers' battalion, the (entirely imaginary) West Suffolks, in an OOB taken from the Rapid Fire Reloaded rules. The recent acquistion of vintage transport models a la Eric Knowles helped a lot, no need to paint those!  So here they are, on parade back in Blighty and ready  to ship out to Sunny Italy and go into action:

 

On the front row  Battalion HQ with Bren Carrier, PIAT and 2-inch Mortar team, and Carrier Platoon with PIAT team;  middle row A, B, C and D Rifle Companies; back row Support Company with 6-pounder AT Gun and Lloyd Carrier,  3-inch Mortar team with Bren Carrier.   All under the perhaps slightly eccentric but always well-meaning command of equally fictional Lieutenant-Colonel Andrew ('The Legal Eagle')  Phillips*..

Now the plan is that these will be part of the Nth  Indian Infantry Brigade, in turn part of the Nth Indian Division - all of which will of course be equally imaginary, but loosely based on the real OOBs of British Indian units in Italy.  In effect there would be 3 battalions in a brigade, one British and two Indian, and other elements such as MGs, Recconaissance, Artillery and Engineers would be a mixture of British and Indian. This should allow me to mix the vintage British figures I have with the Indians I have more recently acquired  ( perhaps unsurprisingly given the Imperial nature of the force, the senior commanders would have been  be pretty much entirely British ).  Now I can have a bit of fun dreaming up suitably Indian and British imaginary unit names..  This is starting to look like a sensible project - and of course they will need some German opposition!   There looks to be a chance to pick up some more ready-painted troops for both sides, courtesy of David Crook and the collection of the late Eric Knowles, Negotiations are in progress.. 

I would like to have more to report, but I will admit that since my last posting,  'real life' has reduced hobby opportunities - easily summed up in the following  picture..

..fortunately all has gone OK, and things look a lot nicer now.

But there has been some actual gaming, thanks once again to the excellent  Jon Freitag : I was lucky enough to be invited to command the Orsini faction against the Papal ( Borgia ) army at the Italian Wars period  Battle of Sanguetta (1497).  Jon has yet to report our game ( his third iteration of the scenario ), so I won't give any spoilers,  except to show this picture which he passed on after the event: 

 

My mercenary pikemen are on the right, at push of pike with the enemy Landsknechts - you can certainly see how colourful Jon's figures (28mm scale) are. It was great fun, though I confess my dice-rolling was considerably better than my deployment and tactical decisions!  I look forward to seeing Jon's report. 

I am hoping to get some more hobby time in the near future, and I had better try to keep up the momentum on the D-Day Dodgers project, so I will hope to have more to report quite soon. 

Until then keep well, everyone. 

* My imaginary battalion commander is a nod to the biggest character of recent years around my adopted home town -which I also imagine to be the home town of my 'West Suffolks' battalion - the late Lord Andrew Philips . I can't claim to have known him well, but did hear him speak many times, and exchanged pleasantries once or twice.   Whether he would have been a good soldier, or would have  even wanted to be one, I can't say!

19 comments:

  1. A fine force there David and like the idea of an imaginary unit upon which to base a campaig and/or actions around. For my planned D-Day mini-campaign, I will be doing this for a fictional Canadian unit, to give me a bit more leeway games wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I have always liked the 'imagi-nation' concept, admittedly in part becuase it emphasises this is ultimately only a game - and hopefully it avoids too much 'button counter' attention! I only fairly recently realised that even Charles Grant was doing the same in his 'Battle: Practical Wargaming', using not Germans and Russians but 'Black' and 'Red'. I think your choice of a fictional Canadian unit will give you some scope for a really fun unit name...

      Delete
  2. The West Suffolks look really good David.
    Good luck with the DIY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, glad you like them. I'm afraid it's not DIY - we got the professionals in, but still pretty disruptive of domestic routines!

      Delete
  3. I am looking at going down the Rapid fire route, so will follow you imaginations with interest🙂 also my fave boardgame, Old School Tactical has a new module in summer …. Italy, so there is much to like.

    Building works is no fun! But the final results are always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I have not actually played Rapid Fire yet, but they come recommended by many, and I like their simplicity.
      I will be equally interested to see how you get on with that board game module.
      We should have a much nicer bathroom very soon - indeed, well worth it!

      Delete
  4. That's a great little force for your West Suffolks. Your bathroom looks in full demo mode. Hopefully your tradesmen bring it back to life soon and successfully.

    On my gaming front, battle reports in-waiting are stacking up. I had another game of Thursday and have yet to begin the report from your game. With such a triumphal for you, I need to reinforce success and get busy with the report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, glad you like them. The bathroom already looks much better - almost finished now!
      You have a very full schedule indeed, I don't know how you keep it up! The game was great, thank you again, and I look forward to your account of it.. no rush, though.

      Delete
  5. Phillips sounds just the sort of chap I’d imagine stepping up to the task. He might not be the most natural warrior, but he’d try to do the right thing and would have a care for his men. Looking forward to hearing more of the West Suffolks.
    Hope your 1/1 scale modelling reaches a happy conclusion.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes I am imagining my battalion commander would be exactly like that. Let's see how he does!
      '1/1 scale modelling' going OK, nearly done now..

      Delete
  6. Quite a selection of activity in this post with Rapid Fire units, renovations, and remote wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peter, I like your alliteration, should have used that in my heading!

      Delete
  7. West Suffolks look splendid! I look forward to seeing them in action…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes I am pleased with them - now need to get them some opponents sorted out!

      Delete
  8. The West Suffolks and the Zoom game look excellent. What on earth happened to your bathroom? - looks as though it was hit by a shell. Trouble with the neighbours again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, I am pleased with the West Suffolks and the game was great - Jon's report makes me look almost competent, but it was really all down to the dice!
      Bathroom now looking much better...

      Delete
    2. Your leadership was more than competent! DC did have trouble with the dice.

      Delete
  9. Great looking bunch matey and I like the inclusion of Indian troops too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I thought it would be interesting to reflect the 'DUKE' nature of the nominally 'British' forces. And a nod to my former IT colleagues!

      Delete