Friday 29 March 2024

Here Come the Heer : Recruiting a German Battalion

Yet again progress has been slow, with Real Life getting in the way of hobby time, but at least a few steps have been advanced:  I have an organised and almost-completed battalion of German infantry for my 'D-Day Dodgers'  WW2 Italian Campaign project. They have been recruited to fill an Order of Battle based on those specified in Rapid Fire and Rapid Fire Reloaded rules, and they currently look something  like this: 

 

Most of the figures are painted and based, but the transport is only primed and needs proper painting, so I will be getting busy with the sand/green/brown paints, probably over the upcoming holiday weekend.  We have, looking from front to back :

- Battalion HQ with Panzerschrek team and Steyr Heavy Car

- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rifle Companies

- 4th ( Heavy ) company with 2 x MMG, 1 x 81mm mortar  with Steyr Heavy Car and Opel Blitz truck

-  A/T Company with  PAK40 75mm A/T Gun and Opel Blitz truck

- Infantry Gun Company with  iFH18 105mm Infantry Gun and Opel Blitz truck 

As you can probably see, most of the figures are my good old vintage Airfix WW2 German Infantry (1960s designs!). The heavier weapons are crewed by mainly Britannia Miniatures/Grubby Tanks, and a scattering of later Airfix and others. The Opel Blitz trucks (actually one is built as a Mercedes variant)  come from Plastic Soldier Company,  and the Steyr cars from Rapid Fire's own 'Ready to Roll Vehicles' range.  The infantry gun is  Zvezda ( bought before February 2022 - I'm not buying any more from Russian makers, I'm afraid ), and  the PAK 40 is by Revell.   These will be strong opposition for my West Suffolks ( see my previous post ), especially with the 105mm infantry gun and that 'Heavy Company' with the MMGs - the British battalion doesn't have an equivalent. So the British may require some support from 'Brigade' when it comes to a fight. 

With the potential British and Indian units in the same project I have been having fun coming up with 'fictional but plausible'  units names like the 'West Suffolks' - but the Germans give me a bigger challenge.  I would like to come up with a  fictional regiment name for these Germans, but I admit I am at a bit of a loss as to how to work something out - initial on-line searches give several pages showing lists of German WW2 Divisions ( of which there were well over 300! ) , but I haven't so far found a list of Regiments (of which there must have been many more!) - and am unsure of the naming/numbering convention used, though it looks like a simple regiment number was common. I suspect they will become 1st Battalion,  n+1th Grenadier Regiment,  and if anyone has advice on finding this sort of information, I'd be interested!          

A couple of the vintage Airfix figures brought back very nostaglic memories: as ever, 'Button-counters' should look away now ( You may cringe at  my rather basic painting style, but I'm happy it suits the nature of the figures - not much point trying 3-level highlights on these chaps,  and I couldn't do much better anyway!).   

The Panzerschreck** team strongly evokes what else but the 'Action at Twin Farms' game in Charles Grant's wonderful little book  Battle: Practical Wargaming, which is where 'My Wargaming Habit' (to quote the excellent blog by Richard!)  began, all of 50 years ago. My first wargaming book, and it's still with me:

My rather battered copy - c.1974









hmmm... Panzerschreck, surely?

 It really did all start here - this book may represent the best £1.50  I ever spent, in hobby terms at least!   Come to think of it. I was casting around for a scenario idea for my first Rapid Fire Reloaded game..

Now that is sadly about all the news I have to impart, but at least the holiday weekend may allow a little more hobby time,  and then next week I am lucky enough to be invited to another of Jon Freitag's remote games  - more Italian Wars action is in prospect.  I won't be a spoiler to what Jon will no doubt write about pretty soon, suffice it to say this looks quite an intriguing prospect. I hope to be able to say more next time; until then keep well, everyone.

 

** Update: it's been interesting that the close-up picture has made a lot of veteran gamers realise that the guy apparently holding a Panzerschreck missile is probably in truth carrying a Panzerfaust.   I hadn't really thought about it, to be honest - and interestingly I wonder if the source of the original confusion is the above picture from Charles Grant's book - note that he labels them a Panzerfaust team, even though the weapon being aimed is clearly meant to be a Panzerschreck.  I am keeping them as they are - they've been together for 50 years, after all! 

30 comments:

  1. apparently the chap we all supposed to be a panzerschreck loader in Airfix type 1 is actually meant to be carrying a panzerfaust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes, I think you are right - but the assumption has been good enough for 50 years, so I don't mind too much!

      Delete
  2. the supposed panzerscheck loader is apparently meant to be carrying a panzerfaust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - I suspect you are the same commenter as above - and agian, I think you are most likely right!

      Delete
  3. The painting is great to my old eyes David! The Action at Twin Farms is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks MJT, I reckon those figures should be kept simple anyway! 'Twin Farms' indeed a classic, but not sure if I have ever actually played it - surely about time to do so?

      Delete
  4. Very nice mate, I always thought that guy was the ammo loader for the panzerschreck. Surprised to learn it’s a panzerfaust…who knew?! Paint job is fine on these figures - exactly right actually. Keep up the good work. See you in Italy shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it is funny how I made the same assumption about Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck, I wonder if the photos from the Charles Grant book are the reason - childhood memories very influential. But I'm keeping them like that, anyway - too late to change now!
      Looking forward to the Italian Wars game, it looks challenging..

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the painting front, David! After a long time "in-grade", I only need to please myself with my painting quality. Grant's Battle has been in my library for years too but not 50!

    No need to hold back on the upcoming Italian Wars' game. There are no spoilers since you all received the same briefing.

    Have you known Richard for fifty years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, indeed I think one only has to please oneself with painting - I am happy to put up pics of my limited-ability painting, to show others that it doesn't have to be perfect.
      'Battle' was certainly my first wargaming book, aged about 11 or 12 I think, and it clearly threw a switch in my young brain. Grant's writing style is lovely too, and remains a model. I'm really glad to have hung on to my original copy (3rd Edition, 1974).
      Sorry for any confusion, I haven't known Richard all that time! ( is he even 50?!) The title of his blog just seemed appropriate to quote - I may re-word that bit!
      Re: Italian Wars game, just didn't want to pre-empt your likely description of the scenario set-up on your blog. Looking forward to the game - must read Oman on the battle over the weekend..

      Delete
  6. Now then David. Great to see those old Airfix 1st generation Germans. Just shows how far moulding techniques have come on. EVERYONE thought that was a shell/rocket not a Panzerfsust.
    German regiment names: have a look at the Austrian SYW or Napoleonic unit names. I got the idea when I heard James Holland mention the Hochen-Deutschmeister unit from Austria. There was a Regiment Deutschmeister in the SYW. So worth having a look on Kronoskaf for inspiration.

    Chris/Nundanket

    PS I was walking through Earlsfield in SW London in Thursday and noticed that in the M&S on Penwith Rd had a sign inside the door saying “Airfix Factory”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, indeed the progress in moulding quality is apparent - even the 1970s next-gen Airfix are of course much better-detailed. I'll keep the Panzerfaust guy there too, for old times sake! Interesting about regiment names, using old names or even making them up completely might be a fun idea. In my mind the thing is to avoid actual unit names/numbers which may be documented as having actually been on the Eastern Front, for example - or even to have perpetrated some ghastly atrocities. To my mind, fictionalising
      makes the point this is just a game, to some extent - maybe I am overthinking!

      Delete
    2. p.s. was the Airfix factory really there? There could be a blog post for you in that!

      Delete
  7. David,
    Unfortunately, WW1 did for the German military regimental tradition.
    It's true those recruited from Austria tried to trace links back to historical units. There were very few "named" German regiments in the sense of the British tradition. That said there were some unofficial names attached to units, usually based around geographical recruitment areas.
    Some organisational details:

    https://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/GermanDivisions.htm

    For inspiration, you may want to seek inspiration here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Imperial_German_infantry_regiments
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, that is really interesting! That 'Custerman' page looks very useful - one option is indeed to simply base my organisation on a real German Division that fought in Italy and use regiment numbers from them. The alternative is complete fictionalisation - see my response to Chris' comments above.

      Delete
  8. Heer today and I am very glad to see them! Lovely classic figures given a chance to battle once more…
    A excellent read and an inspiration for me too! Great stuff sir! Made my day. Heer, Heer ,l say.
    Alan Tradgardland
    P.s As one currently about to play Rapid Fire with a friend’s collection this has inspired me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, so glad you enjoyed that! Your response confirms that the 'old school' theme of the project is worth pursuing. Hope you enjoy your Rapid Fire game - I think the rules look pretty good, simple but effective. I am nearly at the point of being able to run a game now..

      Delete
  9. Have a splendid game with Jon, you are a fortunate fellow indeed.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am indeed fortunate to be invited by Jon!

      Delete
    2. Alan, you are welcome to join into the remote gaming fun.

      Delete
  10. Your muster looks really good David. Looking forward to the painted vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I made a start on the trucks with the basic sand colour, now to have fun with random green and brown splodges..

      Delete
  11. I'm another one really enjoying seeing somebody else making use of these old Germans - your painting is far better than mine, done about 50 years ago and still (mainly) adhering - and the Grant book is a real favourite for me too. Originally I thought the Panzerfaust guy was holding some kind of club (as a child I inherited some from a kind relative who had given them some rather sinister black uniforms, and I thought this was some sort of ceremonial equipment; I also thought the Panzerscheck was a kind of barrier for crowd management ... then I too was misled for a while by Grant into thinking he was a loader). I think I was stirred to dig mine out by seeing a recent range of imagination-type inter-war figures which reminded me of these; but pure nostalgia is definitely playing a part.
    Colkitto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colkitto, glad you have enjoyed this and that you''ve been encouraged to 'dig out' your own collection. I hope they make it to the tabletop!

      Delete
  12. Nice to see progress on your battalion with a mix of some old Airfix. I to still have my old copy of Battle which was my go to for WW2 rules when I was a young lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, glad you still have your copy of 'Battle'. I am thinking I should probably give those rules a go again soon, just for old times sake - i could easily do 'Twin Farms'..

      Delete
  13. I've never seen the original figures in the flash so to speak, only the second generation ones, of which I still have very fond memories. I do however enjoy seeing these figures being used, as it does take on back to those seminal early childhood games.

    As for your German force, why not just go for 'Kampfgruppe ?', with the question mark replaced by the commanders name. A common thing one comes across when reading historical accounts and certainly gives you plenty of flexibility moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, glad you have enjoyed this. I think the 'first generation' Germans also appeared in Don Featherstone's 'War Games' and Terry Wise 'Introduction to Battle Gaming' - highly nostalgic for many of us!
      The Kampfgruppe idea is a good one, quite useful for creating 'fictional but realistic' forces. I may well use that.

      Delete
  14. Nostalgia miniatures are the best miniatures. Combines well earned gaming expertise with old fond memories. 😀
    Though I missed the airfix era being I guess too young or starting too late. I’ve never even seen an airfix Miniature in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I will admit that the nostalgia angle is a really big part of the hobby for me - going back to my childhood! It's really nice to give some of those old figures a new lease of life.
      Never seen an Airfix figure? You ARE young then! Though over here, they still produce some, at least - I suspect for a nostalgia/vintage niche market...

      Delete