Friday 8 May 2020

'We Are The D-Day Dodgers..'


Given that this is the Anniversary of VE Day, it seems appropriate to introduce a potential second string to my gaming bow.
Badger Force : off to liberate Italy
Some time ago I dug out some of my childhood 'collection' of plastic toy soldiers, which had been my introduction to wargaming, aged about 11. I particularly remembered the early Airfix 1/72 WW2 German Infantry, and found an old  tobacco tin packed with them. They had never been fully painted, just a rough dab of flesh colour on faces and hands, black boots and brown rifles on the blue-grey plastic. Looking at Bob Cordery's 'The Portable Wargame' and my treasured old copy of Charles Grant's 'Battle' , which had started it all for me, I thought maybe I could do something. I also had some nice 'Matchbox' WW2 British of 1970s vintage, so they could be opponents.

I am certainly no  painter, ( look away now, button-counters, this is certainly not the blog for you! ) but I found I could at least achieve a very simple 'old-school' style, which suits me and the figures just fine.  In my toy soldier world, all boots are black, weapons brown and gunmetal, backpacks leather, and faces plain flesh - with apologies to the shade/highlight/drybrushers.  I am constantly amazed by the standards many painters achieve, but I just don't have the ability to do all that, and if I could I'd still be working on the first squad.. This time, after 45 years or so, at least they were fully covered with paint!  Supplemented with some MG and mortar teams from Brittannia Miniatures 20mm range, based on 1p and 2p pieces ( I feel mildly guilty about defacing the currency -  I always leave the Queen's head as the unpainted underside, sorry ma'am ) in a plain old-school green, they are acceptable Ragged Soldiers for me.   Each side now has  six  4-man 'units' for The Portable Wargame, with supporting MGs and  mortars; and being singly based, they will do for  other rule sets too.

Very few vehicles or equipment items had survived the occasional loft clearances in  intervening decades, but that may be all for the best given my childhood model-making standards! At various recent  shows  and a few  model shops I have picked up some modern kits from Plastic Soldier Company, Armourfast and Zvezda,  and some vintage Airfix for old times' sake, and put them together with varying degrees of ease and frustration - Armourfast and PSC are lovely, quick and easy, but vintage Airfix - how did we ever get anything built?!   So, the British have a selection of Shermans and the odd Valentine, and even an M10 tank destoyer; 6-pounder and 25-pounder guns, and M3 half-tracks.  The Germans have Panzer IVs, StuG 3s, 75mm PAK 40s, 105mm howitzers, and SdKfz 251 half-tracks. Again I have lept the painting very simple - from each according to his abilities -  all my units seem to have tanks fresh from the factory! I did find a dilute wash of Army Painter 'Soft Tone' gave a certain something to the look - maybe I need to be a bit  braver. Just don't be looking to count the rivets..
KampfGruppe von Kleist : stubborn defenders
So, after probably a couple of years of halting progress, I think we have enough for some simple gaming. This is therefore to introduce 'Badger Force',  led by Colonel Badger of the West Suffolks,  tasked with no less than the liberation of entirely imaginary parts of Italy in 1943-1945, and doggedly opposed by KampfGruppe Von Kleist, commanded of course by  Oberst Eric Von Kleist.  I think Bob's  'Portable Wargame: early and mid 20th Century' rules should be a good place to start.

Why Italy ? This is why:


I've had the privilege of hearing folk singer David Campbell  ( son of Ian Campbell, who recorded it in the 1960s,  and an interesting character in himself, to say the least.. )  perform his dad's classic several times, always with  real feeling for the subject matter.    We may be accused of reducing the suffering of our grandfathers to a mere game, and we can debate that endlessly.  But I hope we can also remember, and learn.

16 comments:

  1. Some lovely old Airfix and Matchbox figures and some wonderful armour! Looking forward to seeing the games David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It was finding the old figures that has inspired this, they are full of memories and I'm very pleased to be able to use them again.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see someone else that likes 1/72 or 20mm figures. I see those Airfix Germans are the original ones not the later version. The Matchbox figures are actually quite nice and Revell did rerelease the Matchbox range for a while.
    Agree that PSC and Armourfast kits are much easier for vehicles than Airfix or the other collectors models. You could try using Army Painter Soft tone on the miniatures as well as the vehicles to bring out the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I wanted to use my childhood soldiers, so 20mm it had to be, but I think they are a good scale - 28mmm is a bit too big for my tastes.
      Yes, the original Germans, that was important,they were with me from the start. I had few of the old 'British Battle Group' but not enough, so I couldn't go the full Don Featherstone circa 1962!
      Good idea about the Soft Tone, I only found it after having painted the figures, but will try it in future.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see those Salute and SELWG purchases getting an outing! Enough figures and vehicles for a meaty little game there, look forward to reading the report as a contrast to the 7YW battles you have been fighting.

    Like you say it's good timing for a WWII game what with the VE Day celebrations. I very much doubt our (grand)fathers would reproach us for our hobby - my own merchant navy veteran Dad didn't bat an eyelid when I was running around with Airfix fighter planes going dakka-dakka-dakka and I suspect it was so for most of his generation - which is just as well considering that probably most of our generation were fixated with the war as kids! My own lifelong interest in military history is intense and passionate enough that I don't feel remotely guilty that it expresses itself in part in wargaming; and I would say that to accuse wargamers of trivialising suffering shows overall a misunderstanding of the hobby.

    My worry is always the danger of such commemorations becoming preoccupied with narrow nationalisms, triumphalism and flag waving, and above all that at this time they might get sucked into the controversies surrounding Brexit. Apparently our street is having a VE Day Stay At Home Party in a couple of hours at which we will make an appearance and I hope there isn't any of that. Maybe we should have knocked up some US, Soviet and Commonwealth bunting to go with the Union Jack ones!

    Interestingly while my Dad was at sea a brother of his served with the Eight Army in North Africa and Italy and apparently had equal contempt for Montgomery and Nancy Astor for various reasons. He claimed he saw Mussolini and his mistress dangling upside down in Milan but I was never sure if that was just flannel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dave, good points, I agree with all you say.
      You could always dress as General De Gaulle for the party.. :)

      Delete
  4. Great new string , I look forward to seeing your games. I have had some most enjoyable games using Portable Wargame and sundry Airfix, Roco Minitanks etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Alan! I always fancied some Roco Minitanks, having seen them in Charles Grant's 'Battle'.
      I think The Portable Wargame will be an ideal starting point - watch this space..

      Delete
  5. Delightful to see these vintage figures and that like me, some of your childhood Airfix and Matchbox figures are still in action. I wish you joy of these games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! There is quite a powerful nostalgic connection when I look at these figures - they are a direct link to childhood. I hope that's a good thing!

      Delete
  6. Super stuff. Thanks to this blog we can all enjoy your games with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, 'JBM'! Yes, I am looking forward to giving them a game, first time in well over 40 years! I'm finding that the blog is a great motivator, too.

      Delete
  7. Never heard that song before. Nice touch to use the Lilli Marleen tune. Campbell delivers it with great pathos and the last verse brought a bitter lump to the throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was introdced to it by hearing David Campbell; as he says, it was 'written' by the troops themselves, of course, and of course everyone knew the tune. You may find it sticks in your head..
      I think there is a bit of controversy over whether Lady Astor really made the remark, but the song clearly reflects the sentiments of the 8th Army and the way the Italian campaigh was often overlooked.

      Delete
  8. I have to say the older Airfix Germans are probably my favourite Airfix figures. For me they speak of my childhood ( I remember the box they came in with the window in the front) and games long gone. I feel all they needed were flesh, equipment and weaponry in the way of painting. After all that is how they appear in the Airfix catalogue pictures. Are you tempted to play some of the games with “;Battle! Practical wargaming “ rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those Germans were particularly memorable to me, too - the later versions may have been finer models, but 'they just weren't the same'. We'll see if the paint actually stays on this time..
      Yes certainly will give 'Battle:Practical Wargaming' a go, I will just need to make up some of those perspex MG cones and mortar burst devices! Then find a Panzerfaust team from the tin, and I can do 'Action at Twin Farms'!
      Proustian wargaming..

      Delete