Saturday 16 May 2020

Where next with The Seven Years War ? (1) Eric's Lead Mountain

Eric Knowles' Prussians - setting a high bar
Having fought my first three battles with 'The Portable Seven Years War' and figures from the late Eric Knowles' collection, it's time for a pause and a gathering  of thoughts. I think the short 'campaign' came to a natural conclusion, with General Dachs' Austrians throwing back Eric von Kleist's invading Prussians (and ending his military career in a drastic manner), but then being rebuffed in their turn as they pursued over the border. So, honours about even. Both games and blog have been tremendous fun, have got me back into wargaming after several decades, and also generated loads of friendly comments from other gamers - thanks everyone!

However, I think I need to expand the scope of the 'project' (if that's not too grand a word), a little, so as not to become samey. I may be guilty of very typical wargamer's megalomania, but do I think more troops are needed,  The most immediately glaring hole in the battle order is that of Austrian regular infantry -  it's a bit embarrasing for General Dachs to rely on dismounted Grenze Hussars, and Jagers  - who are actually Prussian! They could do with some more conventional cavalry, too. 

Fortunately, help is at hand. In addition to the painted figures you have seen from Eric Knowles collection,  David Crook also let me have a fair number of unpainted troops. These came ready-organised and cataloged by Eric, in an eccentric variety of labelled vintage boxes, and even with notes for his planned painting schemes, which I feel rather  duty bound to honour.

Actually the boxes are probably worth a picture!

Eric's boxes of delights
I remember the classy blue boxes of Hinchcliffe figures that I could see (but never afford) as a kid in 'Man and Boy' model shop in Sittingbourne, 40 or more years ago,  and those small maroon ones are from Greenwood and Ball.  A slightly eccentric choice of a 1960s-looking Monogram box for WW2 US army figures now contains  French  Dragoons, and finally there's a rather splendid rectangular display-style box printed with 'Battles of Yesteryear - Napoleonic Period' - now containing Austrian Cuirassiers.


Now this, I find from a little searching, will have once held some 'Alberken' figures - a firm started in 1964, and later morphed into Miniature Figurines. I know Eric was involved in the 1965 Waterloo refight at the Duke of York's Headquarters along with Don Featherstone, Tony Bath et al - I can't help wondering if this rather timeworn box originally held figures that graced that very table? Perhaps a little bit of wargaming history, in a funny sort of way.

What we have in total is roughly this:

    Austrian infantry Regiment 'Botta' , both line and Grenadiers
    Austrian Cuirassiers regiment  'Erzherhog Ferdinand'
    Austrian FreiKorps battalion  'Loudon' with Grenadiers
    Austrian Light Infantry 'Frontier Guards'
    Bavarian Grenadiers 'Rummel'  ( which are confusingly labelled 'Marlburian' but are clearly
                                                          Minifigs 7YW figures )
    French  Dragoon regiment 'Dauphin'  - which may be seconded to fight alongside the Prussians.

In all, about 30-40 cavalry and over 100 foot. Despite the boxes, they are pretty much all 1970s/80s vintage Minifigs, as far as I know.  Plenty to be going on with - David was very generous with what he called 'Brucie Bonuses'!  The Frei Korps, Frontier Guards etc will fit in well with the existing Grenze troops and the Prussians von Kleist Frei Korps, with a leavening of more 'regular' troops on both sides. Not sure how the Bavarians will fit in!

Now, as stated before I am not a skilled painter, and this is all a bit daunting, but I am making a start. The Austrians desperately need line infantry, so first on the painting table are the Regiment 'Botta'.  As you can see, Eric has left me instructions, which I feel I should honour:
That's me told - and happy to comply
With some trepidation I have given the Botta regiment's line figures a coat of white primer, and made a start on painting the first 16 of them, which will make two 'battalions' for The Portable Wargame.  I'm going to take it slowly and carefully, in a simple old school style - they won't win any prizes, and Eric might not be impressed, but let's see how it goes. 

Regiment Botta - primed and ready

Next time, perhaps  a meditation on the wide choice rules for the period. In the meantime, I hope everyone is keeping well and looking out for others, of course,, wherever you are. 



15 comments:

  1. Great fun, and an interesting hoard! As one who is currently up to his armpits in refurbing some of Eric's soldiers, I whisper this in hushed tones...

    [Check the uniform references carefully]

    Sssh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think that is good advice. I love the little slips of painting notes and I will paint the figures as the regiments Eric had planned - but I will also be double-checking the details!

      Delete
  2. Well what is there to say but magnificent, those boxes certainly take me back. Eric was obviously well organised and it's great that you're picking up the baton to finish his plans.
    I'm afraid any one acquiring my collection wouldn't be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm glad I featured the boxes! It was very interesting to find the Alberken one, especially. Indeed I am impressed with Eric's planning, it seemed a shame not to honour that. My own collections are 'filed' pretty randomly!

      Delete
  3. I have a very similar box of boxes which once belonged to Eric Knowles. Mine have the writing on the boxes and at least one card with his uniform suggestions written on it. Some , buts few , were painted and I used them as guides. Before all this lockdown business began I had made a start on them, especially the Tartars and Spahi for my box is full of Turks. I can’t seem to locate the ones I started but they will turn up I am sure. I look forward to seeing your work progress. If , when all this is over, you might fancy some Turks to oppose your Austrians to widen your Portable Wargaming enjoyment further let me know and I will happily send you some recruits. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I remember you posting about your part of Eric's collection. That's a very kind offer about the Turks, which I will bear in mind - though the twin constraints of (i)'when all this is over' and (ii) me actually painting the Austrians, may put thst a long way in the future.. Thank you very much, anyway!

      Delete
    2. You could take only a few initially for a wee Portable Wargame against General Dach’s fellows...

      Delete
    3. let's see how I get on painting some Austrians first! But many thanks, indeed!

      Delete
  4. Very impressive looking collection of figures with a very grand pedigree! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am indeed enjoying them! And the 'heritage' aspect is a really nice bonus. I will try to say a little more about Eric in future posts.

      Delete
  5. Exciting stuff! I love the boxes, esp the Monogram one. A friend of mine had some smaller factory painted GI's who I suspect were copies and I was envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling the boxes would be interesting to people, and jog memories - glad you liked them!

      Delete
  6. Good for you Dave. With all this painting practice you are getting I might get you to paint the next batch of miniatures I buy, 28mm should be a doddle for you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! hmmm... I think maybe you'd best stick with the nice chap at Mili-Art. I'll see how I get on with these, will be happy with a fairly basic result!

      Delete
  7. I have had a friendly and most welcome email from David Crook, who wanted to comment, but was foiled by some sort of Blogger glitch: he says
    "I am really enjoying your 18th century adventures as I am great fan of the narrative style of gaming to put a tabletop battle into context. It is certainly something that Eric was very fond of doing so you are following in his footsteps! For sure some of his uniform data may be slightly out but this should certainly not detract from what he was trying to achieve. I also like your PW tweaks for the period".

    Thanks very much for your kind words, David!

    ReplyDelete