Wednesday 15 July 2020

Air Support from Aldi, and painting Austrians slowly


 

The Portable Air Force

Opportunities for real gaming or planning have been a bit scarce recently - 'time and space, time and space..'  but I have managed to spend a bit of time on a couple of upgrades to the capabilities of my forces.  First of all, I always thought the 'D-Day Dodgers' would need an aviation element, as surely no re-creation of 1939-45 battles could ignore the effects of air power. Bob Cordery's 'Developed Portable Wargame' rules include a typically simple and  practical 'bolt-on' set of  rules for the use of aircraft, and I am interested to try those out. So I just needed some aircraft. Step forward the famous  middle aisle of our local branch of  supermarket Aldi,  from where a few months ago I picked up two  1:72 Airfix kits, which came complete with poly cement,  paints and brushes, all for £4.99 each, I think. 

In another 'haven't done this in many, many years'  moment, I settled down to build and paint, and was quite pleasd with the results -  Colonel Badger of the West Suffolks can now call up an airstrike in the form of an RAF  P-40 Tomahawk , while Oberst von Kleist has air cover courtesy of an Fw 190A.
Both went together fairly well even with my butter-fingers, though the engine cowling of the Focke-Wulf looks like the fitters must have bent it quite badly and then cross-threaded a lot of the bolts, and both  cockpit canopies are somewhat obscured in places by excess poly cement, as is entirely traditional!   It was all rather pleasantly nostalgic - in fact I think that the Airfix P-40 ( possibly an earlier version of the kit  )  was the first plastic model kit I ever built, probably about 1971 or '72 !
( Back then, it probably cost about 15p, I think. )
 
They seem  appropriate enough, as I'm sure the P-40 would have still been around at least in the ground-attack role in Italy in 1943 and 44,  and the Fw 190 was a Luftwaffe work-horse. The kit  is actually an 'A8' model,  a later-war 'bomber destroyer'with extra cannon - so I just left them off, not that they are exactly prominent, and I can imagineer it to an earlier version.  Maybe Me 109s would have been more common in the Mediterranean,  but let's not count buttons here - anyway, there weren't any 109s in Aldi.   The paints were fine, just 4 small pots in each kit  but no actual need for any other colours, and easily sufficient quantities. The paintbrushes  were petty terrible, though. I used my own, I am a bad enough painter without scrubby brushes making me worse.  And decals!  ( 'Transfers' in the old days, surely? ) . Cutting around each one, floating it in a saucer of water and waiting for them to float free - positively Proustian. Those shark's teeth on the P40 nose  were hard work, though, and will be kept away from the camera where possible.

They should see action in the next 'D-Day Dodgers' encounter, probably 'flying' on upturned plastic wine-glasses, and it will be interesting to see how the rules work with them ( aircraft are generic 'fighter' or 'ground-attack' , which I think is fine ).


Meanwhile, back in the 18th Century:  I have been making slow progress, rather hesitantly  painting a few of the Austrian infantry that I acquired from the collection of the late Eric Knowles. As per the painting notes found in Eric's boxes, these are going to represent the regiment 'Botta' fusiliers, and I have started with just 16 figures, making two battalions in Bob's brigade-level rules.  
 


Botta Regiment 'on the bottletops'

As you can see, for a bit more help I am glad to have Osprey's 'Men at Arms' no. 276, 'The Austrian Army 1740-1780 (2) Infantry'  by Philip Haythornthwaite and Bill Younghusband, which has answered a few questions and given me some confidence.  It's going to be a very simple paint job, pure 'block painting',  and no button counting here - even with a magnifying lamp, which has been a real godsend, I won't be painting the buttons!  I just about managed the lace trim on the hats without it being too ragged..  I hope Eric isn't spinning in his grave, but I'm doing my best, actually enjoying doing so, and will be happy with a basic look, for viewing strictly at 'wargame distance'.  Mostly it's the brass, gold and flesh parts still to do, and some nice simple green old-school bases - fingers crossed for finishing quite soon.  And then we'll see how they fight..
Keep well, everyone.


 








11 comments:

  1. Ah, the airfix kits made me sigh, especially the parts about gumming up the cockpit with glue and waiting for the decals to separate in a saucer of warm water (we defo called them decals back in the 70s* and that was the bit I always enjoyed the most!). Buying the old Dogfight Doubles and hanging them from the ceiling in battle poses...Proustian indeed. Impressed that Aldi stock such things.

    I will be curious to see how the Austrians come out. I shouldn't read your blog posts, they always make me want to acquire more miniatures!


    *I was disappointed to learn that the title of the Beefheart album 'Lick My Decals Odd, Baby' was not a reference to the young Van Vliet putting together model kits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Oops, the canopy on the Fw190 does look a bit iffy!
      Anyway, I always thought the decals were the finishing touch, which brought the model to life - I always leave the flesh until last on figures, for similar reasons, somehow it makes all the difference.
      Aldi's middle aisle is famously 'pot luck' - what have their buyers found cheap this week? It's quite clever marketing, really.
      I couldn't resist checking the Beefhart thing.. Wikipedia says : 'Van Vliet said that the title was an encouragement to "get rid of the labels", and to evaluate things according to their merits rather than according to superficial labels (or "decals")'. But I bet he had a few Revell kits as a kid!



      Delete
  2. Great job on the air support David - from Aldi no less.. great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! They were fun to build, they will do fine for gaming, and I couldn't really walk past them in Aldi - they deserved a good home!

      Delete
  3. It’s always worth looking in the middle of Lidl/Aldi.

    In 1971/2 we still probably called it 15 New Pence. Or 3 bob. 😁

    And those ASW5 Austrian Fusileer Advancing are also very nostalgic for me (though I had the Prussian equivalent, Old School Tony would have had the Austrians).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are indeed ASW5, well spotted! I have a 'Grant-sized' regiment of 50 or so Prussians(PSW1) that I bought in the 1970s, which will eventually be their opposition. That's really what made me buy the Seven Years War figures when David Crook offered them - talk about a long-term project..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t remember the code. I read it on the photo 😆.

      Once upon a time I knew all the Prussian and Austrian codes. Happy days.

      Delete
  5. Aldi airforce has worked well, I look forward to seeing them on the tabletop in action. Austrians proceeding very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I suspect the air forces will be in action before the Botta regiment, but both should be fairly soon.

      Delete
  6. Forgot to ask ,will the Austrians take on the Grant sized Prussian unit at 50 figure strength or at Portable Wargame strength? Btw you’ll have to pick up some wild Grenzers, no self respecting Austrian General take the field without such exotica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now thereby hangs a tale.. among the painted figures I have already are some Grenzer Hussars, and the unpainted ones include Austrian 'Frontier Guards' Light Infantry and a 'FreiKorps Battalion'. So that should do, I hope! The 50 Prussian fusiliers were the inspiration for this whole thing when I got Bob's 'Portable Napoleonic' book, I thought I could use them, originally thought I might acquire some Spencer-Smiths to oppose them, but then David Crook came along with Eric's figures, and bingo! I think they wiil be in smaller units, I hope to be flexible enough to maybe put figures in different size units when trying different rules. We'll see..

      Delete