Sunday 7 November 2021

Fnurban #12 : I LIve on a Battlefield

 

"My new home is a shell hole filled
With tears and muddy water
And bits of broken heart
All around there is desolation
And scenes of devastation
Of a love been torn apart.." 

Not a lot of wargaming going on, alas - real life has been getting in the way. One really good thing, though, was  getting to see some live music recently. This was courtesy of  my all-time musical hero Nick Lowe, at a small venue in London. Three-hundred plus people in an 'intimate' venue  was probably the covid-riskiest thing I've done, but the demographic was reassuringly double-jabbed, Nick was great, of course, and the effect on my morale rating  was entrely positive. Seven days later there have been no ill-effects, fingers crossed!  

 

courtesy of my rather decrepit phone

One of the many songs Nick entertained us with could just about stretch to a connection with our subject matter, so I will take inspiration from the excellent Mr. Epictetus,  and share a Youtube link.  From the 1994 album 'The Impossible Bird' - which I'd say is probably his best, here is 'I Live on a Battlefield':    

 


 I'm not sure if the coming week will facilitate much more hobby activity, but I have bought a ticket for 'Salute' in London on Saturday and am looking forward to going along.  I've also been enjoying reading Charles Grant's 'Wargame Tactics' book, and may just about get to slap some paint on some slightly wonkily built 1:72 scale armoured vehicles for the 'D-Day Dodgers'. So there may be some progress made:  but it really is about time some troops were deployed on the table.. 

Keep well, and safe, everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, indeed it was a good show!
      If you are really keen, Nick is actually doing shows in the USA now, looks like your nearest would be Minneapolis on 18th Nov...(!)
      http://nicklowe.com/tour-dates/

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing some figures deployed on the table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes I certainly enjoyed the show, it was great to see the man. It's been a good few years but he's still 'got it'.
      And yes, I really need to be setting up a game of some sort!

      Delete
  3. Nick Lowe is always good isn't he? Last time I saw him was a few years back when he played impromptu support at a Jim Jones Revue gig when the main act were somewhat late coming on. See you at Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dave, yes I've seen him a few times and always good! Interesting to hear about your experience - he's obviosuly a bit of a trouper.
      Indeed I look forward to meeting at Salute - Stadtler and Waldorf ride again :)

      Delete