It won't be a surprise to anyone in the UK, but it has been exceptionally hot here in the past few weeks. and that has slowed down pretty much all activities, including hobby activities. There's also been quite a bit of 'real life' stuff competing for attention, so the toy soldiers have taken a back seat. But I have made a little progress, and made a couple of interesting acquisitions. I believe there has also been some sort of football (soccer, if you prefer ) competition, which I think has taken many people's attention - though very little of mine! But it did spark a little pondering on the nature of games and gaming..
The great re-basing project continues with the vintage Minifigs 7YW/AWI collection. I've been working on the slightly mysterious French infantry with unusual green facings ( see my earlier post about identifying them ), which I have decided to designate as the Volontaires Étrangers de la Marine. Although there were lots of green-trimmed musketeers, I had no command figures for the unit - step forward the Garrison figures I recently acquired from Rob Young of The Eastern Garrison (many thanks, Rob!). I'm no great shakes with the paintbrush, but I was fairly pleased with my efforts painting them - my first attempt at painting a drummer in the the blue-and-red French royal livery coat came out quite well, I thought, bearing in mind the 'three foot rule'. I'll admit I have no idea whether this unit had drummers in the royal livery, but it was fun to paint it!
When simply block-painted in an old-school style, the officers looked rather bright and clean compared to their rank and file, who are a little 'aged' so to speak, so I gave the command group a thin wash of Army Painter Soft Tone to dull them a little - but it has been pointed out to me by the excellent Ross from Battle Game of the Month that the officers would probably have higher-quality (and maybe cleaner!) uniforms than the 'PBI', so maybe my newly-painted command group is quite authentic!
I also enjoyed painting a version of this unit's interesting flag, with the standard French 'quartered' banner further sub-divided into green and white, fortunately in a quite simple and easy to re-produce way. Having fixed them to MDF bases and applied a couple of coats of old-school plain green to the bases, here is the finished unit basking in the sunshine in the garden this afternoon:
You may have noticed the horsemen behind the Volontaires in the photo - these are my first re-based unit of cavalry from the collection. They represent the Russian Slobodskiy Hussars and I very much like their lavender-coloured uniforms! Here they are, taking their place in the sun :
I have a bit of a dilemma with cavalry: I settled for 50mm x 50mm bases with two figures per base, which fit the suggested base sizes for both Black Powder and Honours of War rules. But BP has six such bases (12 figures) for a standard cavalry unit, and HoW has 4 bases (8 figures). Given that I am using 4 bases (16 figures) at 40mm x 40mm for infantry, the standard BP cavalry unit would look a bit too big. It's also relevant that most of the cavalry I have acquired seem to be in 'units' of 12, so adopting the 4-base HoW format would mean leaving quite a lot of figures unused. So on consideration, for now I am going to have a cavalry 'unit' of 6 figures on 3 bases, just as shown. I think I might consider them as a 'squadron', part of a 'regiment' of 2 'squadrons'. As you can perhaps see in the above pictures, my cavalry and infantry units have roughly the same frontage, which I am happy with. Admittedly all slightly arbitrary, but to my mind they should look 'right' on the tabletop. And I have another six figures of these nice hussars, to make another 'squadron'!
Next up for basing, lots of Russian infantry..
There's almost 100 figures here, and I can probably get 5 battalions out of them, so not a bad little force. The Musketeers (left) have already had their old bases removed, the rest still need to have a paddle in some water to soak off their current stands - which look to be made of balsa, curiously enough. So this will be my job for the next few days..I've also done a little light shopping - specifically, I got tempted by Pen and Sword's half-price offer on Henry Hyde's book Wargaming Campaigns. It arrived at the weekend, and is a substantial tome ( 500 plus pages! ). I loved Henry's previous Wargames Compendium when it came out, and I think it was one of the factors influencing me to move from just reading blogs on wargaming to getting back to actual gaming and starting this blog. So let's hope this one is as good - and provides some inspiration for campaigning. It will certainly occupy a lot of reading time! I was interested to see the Acknowledgements page near the front, where Henry lists a whole lot of people who 'helped me to name the vast numbers of places that sprang up as I created the imagi-nations of Dahlia and Chindrastan featured in these pages'. Many familiar names were on that list, including several I have met (in person or on-line) and a couple who follow this blog. Henry also thanks 'veteran wargamer Arthur Harman', who 'has undertaken the heroic task of creating an index for this monster' . Indeed, quite a major job, well done Arthur!
At the other end of the price range, a charity shop find I couldn't walk away from this week - Alan Clark's Barbarossa, a chunky paperback for all of £1 ! Possibly influenced by listening recently to Al Murray and James Holland's We Have Ways of Making You Talk podcast, which devoted a series of episodes to the decisions, planning and preparations behind Hitler's attack on the Soviet Union in 1941. This one may go on the backlog pile at first, but I'm sure it will make an interesting read eventually..
Alan Clark was an 'interesting' character of course, I can't say I was an admirer of his politics or his personal conduct - but the relevant question is 'was he a good historian, and a good writer'? The latter will become obvious, the former - well, he may have been superseded by later authors with more access to Russian archives. for instance, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Finally just a bit of whimsy really: here's a picture of the scene at Pizza Express restaurant on the South Bank, Central London last Wednesday evening - at the time England's footballers were playing against Argentina for a place in the World Cup Final. It was all rather lovely, quiet and peaceful. We'd been to the nearby National Film Theatre, to see a rather charming film - Night Train (dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz, Poland, 1959) well worth a look if you enjoy a good railway-based movie.
The fact that I was at Pizza Express should tell you how much I know or care about football - precisely nowt - but it was interesting to see the reactions to the result and to England Manager Thomas Tuchel's tactical decisions. It made me think; if Monty and Eisenhower on 6th June 1944 had said 'OK everyone, we got the landing done successfully, we've got the beach-head established, now we'll sit on the defensive and let the Panzers come at us', how would that have gone? ( shades of what actually happened at Anzio? ). But I also thought, if we were wargamers playing the Normandy Campaign as a game of some sort, we might very well do exactly that, because the victory conditions would doubtless specify that simply establishing a beach-head and not being thrown back into the sea would give the allies a marginal victory - and Herr (sorry!) Tuchel only needed a marginal victory.. As players, though, we would have thought that was pretty 'game-y' and not really in the spirit of things. So I concluded I had little sympathy for Thomas T, and that maybe England need a 'Monty' for manager? Discuss... 😀
With that, I'm sure I've entertained you all for long enough, so I'll sign off. The heatwave does seem to be easing off a bit, and I've got some more free time in the next few days, so hopefully I can get those Russians sorted out, and report my progress in a future post. Until then, keep well everyone,
p.s. a quick 'plug' - my old friend 'Liverpool Dave' has had a bit of a rush of blood to the writing fingers and revived his long-moribund personal blog Serener Skies Recent posts include reminiscences of cartoon strips in the Daily Mirror, Liverpool Corporation buses, the dream of a remote lochside idyll versus the reality of modern tourism, and the late Kevin Keegan's triumphant FA Cup Final in 1974 (the latter may have been the last soccer match I watched with any real interest!). Not a wargaming blog, but Dave can certainly write, and wargaming does get a mention - he poses the question of whether there a correlation between interest in military history and interest in public transport? I think a few readers of this blog may be able to answer that one, while looking at Dave's nice pic of a Leyland Atlantean..




Nice looking French and the cavalry look the business, very nicely done. The new basing works well and look the part to my eye. Have thought about purchasing the H H campaigns book but never pulled the trigger yet.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie, I am pleased with the very simple 'old-school' style basing, I think it suits the vintage figures and evokes Charles Grant's 'The War Game' and Young and Lawford 'Charge!'.
DeleteI will report back on my impressions of Henry's book - note that it is on offer at £20 from Pen and Sword, not sure how long that will continue...
Fab French figures, all coming along very nicely indeed. Love the lavender hussars and their infantry comrades look formidable. You have done loads , on many fronts , in the Hot Weather, well done. Looking forward to seeing the Minifigs in action.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Thanks Alan, I am indeed pleased with the French and the lavender ( or is it Lilac?) Hussars are unusual and fun! tbh I think I've spun a small amount of activity into a longer blog post than it perhaps deserves.. but it's motivational, so now getting on with those Russian infantry!
DeleteIndeed, as more get based they need to see action..
Nice additions to your forces there David and I wouldn't worry too much about the slight difference in frontages, as they are not marked, so shouldn't affect game play. I have Henry's tome which to be honest I've only flicked through, and whilst beautifully produced as one would expect, it all seems a tad too complex for today's age IMHO. As for Normandy, IIRC the Allies expected the Germans to be sensible and retreat to more easily defended river lines out of range of naval support, but that would have mad for some rather dull games for us gamers;)!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve, I reckon a very slight frontage difference won't matter at all, so I'm going with the 6-figure cavlary squadrons. A basic unit of 12 cavalry would have looked wrong against the smaller infantry units. I think I want to be able to have quite large numbers of smaller units on the table for visual effect.
DeleteI am going to give Henry's book a proper go, it may be bedtime reading for several weeks! I think he maybe does tend towards the 'detailed' end of the spectrum, but I hope there will be some good ideas in there anyway..
Good point about Normandy - I'm no expert. The heated discussions in media about the football just made me thing of tactics and gamesmanship. 'It's only a game'...
I just dug the tome out and had a quick flick through and there are some very neat and simple ideas in there, but hidden amongst the verbosity and hyperbole. I reckon the book could easily have been 50 pages long and would have been much more useful as a reference book. The most useful bit I've found are the very simple rules on page 512, 'Debacle on the Danube', that are probably what the vast majority of wargamers would use for a campaign.
DeleteThanks Steve, I will have a look at those rules!
DeleteNow I have looked, I notice they are by someone called Steve Jones - that's not you, by any chance ? :)
Nope, not me: different surname.
Deleteof course - and on reading more I think Henry says the chap was from Newark, miles from you! (there are almost as many Steves as Daves in wargaming, I'm sure... )
DeleteNice to see you back in the blogosphere! Good call on the basing.
ReplyDeleteI'm nearly at the end of The Hyde campaign book. I must say I haven't found a lot of inspiration, but that's a matter of personal taste. I think some of the best chapters are the ones he gives shortest shrift to: naval and air campaigns.
I'll have a dive into Dave's blog. I read it a few years ago and agree with you on his writing.
Thanks Chris, I admit I've been a bot slow - the heat, and some 'real life' stuff, got in the way. I'm getting a sense that people aren't massively enthused by Henry's book, but I think if it gets me thinking about campaigns, it will do some good. Will be interesting to read about possible air campaigns.
DeleteI think you'll like Dave's blog - note that the latest entry is about football!
PS the drummer looks great!
ReplyDeletethanks, yes I am pleased that I got him looking more or less OK - by my lights!
DeleteThe figures all look brilliant David, I painted up the Slobodskiy Hussars in 15mm many many moons ago, its a great colour of a unit, a pot of paint that you don't often use.
ReplyDeleteBetter get a wrist support for Henry's book, you're gonna need it!
cheers Ray, glad you like them, I take no credit for the painting. I do really like those Hussars!
DeleteIf all else fails, Henry's book will make a good doorstop..
Nice additions, David. The nice thing about BP is that you don't really need to syick to their basing and numbers per unit. You can decide whether a unit is small, standard or large. That way it fits your collection.
ReplyDeleteAs for HH's campaign book. I read it then gave it away straightaway. Personal choice, but for me it was not a keeper.
thanks Richard, yes good point about BP and basing; I have reached the age where I decide on my basing first of all, and then look for rules that will fit them. Hopefully this basing scheme is once and for all...
DeleteInteresting, I am getting quite a lot of 'meh' responses to Henry's book, perhaps I should have asked the blogosphere first! But I think I will find some interesting things in it.
David,
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you are plodding along with the process of rebasing.
French drummer livery - most wore the blue "King's Livery" but there were odd exceptions - La Reine wore the Queen's (reversal of King's) and some the proprietor 's livery colours.
Russians. All I'd say are the figures to the right of the photo with tall casques are actually Pandour figures, imitation of Austrian Grenzers so LI. The figures are Pandour grenadiers and should be in black and red not green....
Football - bread and circuses for the modern age IMHO!
Supposed "professionals" - overpaid for what are highly developed motor skills- don't seem to perform that well - cut their wages and make it performance related!
Henry Hyde's books - seem to be aimed at the beginner and are a bit of "I do it this way"- far too detailed IMHO I think you can get a flavour from his Martinstaat book - full of "very clever" stratagems and no actual battles! I have a much more negative view of the tactics articles and book.
Neil
Thanks Neil, I knew I could rely on you for some good strong opinions! (I've been surprised I didn't manage to wind up the football fans..)
DeleteI found nothing to say the 'Volontaires' would NOT have the Royal Livery for drummers, so it seemed OK to go with that until proven wrong.
Yes those Russians on the right are Pandours, and although it's not too clear in the photo, they do have black coats, so they are correct.
You are clearly not alone in your opinion of Henry's book - see several other comments here.. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now; he has a lot of credit with me for his 1987 'Fictitious Wars' magazine article, which stuck in my mind for many years.
hmmm.. 'Clever stratagems and no actual battles' - wasn't that what Maurice de Saxe said was the best way to win a campaign?
I do agree with you about the footballers!
Your rebasing project is coming along at a steady pace despite your hot weather. The temperature has turned up here in the PNW with highs approaching 37C.
ReplyDeleteOn basing and HoW, the number of bases in a unit really does not matter and neither does frontage if units are similarly based. For my own SYW armies that have infantry BMU elements based as 23 figures on one base, I use markers to denote unit degradation.
As for Wargames Campaigns, I just couldn't wade through it all. Layout was good but I find HH always has Max Verbosity always set to "ON." Remember that from the old Zork text adventure games?
thanks Jon, it sounds like our 'heatwave' ( about 30C, peaking at 35C earlier on ) is actually quite mild compared to yours.
DeleteI think it's very sensible for rules writers to be flexible on base sizes, and keeping basic units (battalion, squadron/regiment etc) more or less the same size usually seems to work.
You are not alone in your opinion of Henry's book - I am starting to hope he's not reading this! He does like to be 'generous' with words..
I didn't know about 'Zork', had to look it up, and Wikipedia says it was first developed for PDP-10 mainframe computers - that is going back a bit! Looks like you can still play it on-line, if you want a bit of nostalgia..
I can still play Zork on my Commodore 64!
DeleteGood to see a re-basing update (looking forward to seeing the Russian regiments). Agree 6 horse units are fine and in smaller games you can do that double depth.
ReplyDeleteI have the HH book on the kindle ….. nice and light😀 I dip into it rather than a cover to cover read.
Thanks Norm, Glad you liked the re-based figures, I am starting work on the Russian infantry right after this.
DeleteHaving Henry's book on Kindle is a good idea - a Megabyte doesn't weigh very much at all!
p.s. I have enough Russians to make one of your 'pocket armies', I think, so I may concentrate on that. I reckon I probably have enough Prussians already to give them a fair game - I'd like to get some of these units on the table soon, rather than trying to base absolutely everything before playing games.
DeleteThanks for the plug Dave. A mention in a blog that folk actually read is always welcome! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Clark book. I have been deep-diving into Pritt Buttar's series of books about the Eastern Front in WWII and can recommend them if you want more detail. Yes, I think expecting a masterclass in strategic defence from the England squad was perhaps optimistic. Cheers, Dave C.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave, hope you get some views on your blog!
DeleteI am assuming Alan Clark was a pretty good writer, but the book was originally written about 1965, so it may have been overtaken by more recent researchers. He might also be ever so slightly sympathetic to the Germans, given his politics? But I haven't read it yet, so that is pure speculation!
I'm sure Eng-er-land will do better in 4 years time.... (!)
Those re-vamped and re-based French look marvellous. The Russians look good already and so will look grand too, I have no doubt.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thank you James, glad you like the look of them! I do indeed like the Russians, and I have the potential for a 'pocket army' with 4 or 5 battalions and couple of cavalry regiments - worthy opponents for my Prussians.
Delete