Sunday, 27 September 2026

Turkish Delights - a very generous gift

I have to admit that there's been too much 'real life' this last week or so, and not enough focus on nice relaxing hobby stuff. But I have been much cheered by the arrival of a surprise package - in fact, three packages  -  a very generous gift from Alan,  Duke of Tradgardland.  

When the first one arrived, it was quite mysterious, a lucky dip of items packed around in paper shreddings, but a few tell-tale labels gave the game away. They were handwritten  in a distinctive style I recognised quickly; that of the late veteran wargamer Eric Knowles. 


 After sifting (quite literally) through the paper shreddings, the contents were revealed to be a small colleciton of 25mm  Ottoman Turkish soldiers,  artillerymen, horse archers and 'dellis' horsemen  - which I assume are mostly Minifigs - for the 18th Century.  

 

It turns out that Alan had some time ago acquired these, when  Eric Knowles' collection was being sold off, but has decided they are surplus to his requirements.  Knowing that I had also become the proud owner of a fair few of Eric's  Seven Years War troops (where this blog began), and no doubt seeing my recent doings with  a whole lot of vintage Minifigs, Alan has very kindly gifted me his unwanted Turks.   And I have to say, I'm very happy to take them! 

Over the course of a few days, the second and third boxes arrived - box two contained  a selection of artillery pieces for the gunners to use,  plus some transport wagons etc  ( sorry I didn't have time to photo them all ) : 

And then the third and largest box,  with a very typical Eric selection of various old cardboard boxes, all labelled up with contents. Note the familiar small, square, blue Hinchcliffe box - many a happy collector must have received these 'back in the day'!     


 Upon opening the boxes we have these: 


 Quite a haul! Spahis of the Porte, Tartar Light Horse, and Janissaries - all good stuff!  Mostly unpainted, so they have to go into the painting queue, and an actual Turkish army may be a long-term project, but I'm very pleased to have them and very grateful for Alan's generosity! 

With the large batch of Minifigs 7YW/AWI figures I recently acquired plus those that already came  from Eric Knowles' collection,  I already have Prussians, Austrians, French, Russians, various Germans such as Saxons and Hessians, Americans and Native Americans, which give lots of possibilities. I have a vague idea to go back to the Soldier King boardgame, which  provides a ready-made imaginary continent, and populate it with these armies - presumably with the Americans on the far western fringes and perhaps with the Native Americans providing tribal raiders in that region.  Now I might equally be able to populate the Eastern reaches of the map with these Turks,  who might make an interesting opponent for  the Russians ( and also in the lead pile, I have some Austrian Grenzer border troops,  quite  appropriate ). Without taking it too seriously, this idea might be quite fun. So once again, a big thank-you to Alan for this generous gift!    

It looks like the next week or so will see a bit of a hobby pause ( though I should try to finish reading  my Nordlingen book ) - the next event, I hope, is likely to be The Other Partizan in a couple of week's time. I look forward to that, and meanwhile keep well, everyone.     

    

26 comments:

  1. You are a lucky fellow, indeed, and Alan is very generous! Nice haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes very kind of Alan, I was pleased to receive these!

      Delete
  2. Very generous! An alternative to Soldier King is Sport of Kings - it's the campaign system for Tod Kershner's Warfare in the Age of Reason rules - it features the Turks as an active participant. The rules have been reprinted in several versions - the 1992 version has the campaign with map. I played it several decades ago organised in Cornwall I played Russia remotely. The battles were fought using WRG.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting, Neil! I am just beginning an alt-history six-player Medieval campaign.

      Delete
    2. thanks Neil, an interesting option, will bear it in mind - might be worth looking for a 2nd-hand copy. I do think it's time I got 'Soldier King' back into use, though, now I have lots more units and several nations to populate the map.

      Delete
  3. What a super gift to get, plenty of goodie in those boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Donnie, yes I am very pleased with them!

      Delete
  4. The taste of paradise in an old school figure sense, a veritable bounty not to mention a Turkish Delight. So pleased that you like the figures. It took me ages to find the transport bits n bobs I mentioned ages ago in the shed, thanks for your patience. Thought they all should go together apart from a smallish Ottoman army l retained for my 18th century use.
    I imagine there will be lots of little lead hands shaking each other in their new home when the Turkish Delights shake hands with their old 18th Century ex Eric Knowles chums. Hopefully they will give your hobby a Boost! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Alan - pun-tastic stuff!
      Transport wagons are always useful, there should probably be more supply convoy games ( wasn't that a Table Top Teaser back in the day?). I do like the idea of Eric's little chaps being re-united in the filing box barracks.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy! Alan Tradgardland
    P.s good suggestions for their use .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Alan - I just need to paint some more of them...

      Delete
  6. A lovely gift, the sort of kindness that lifts us from our real world distractions. I like the idea of shredded paper for packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes a lovely gift and a great distraction from 'real life' stuff. The shredded paper is a good idea, and has also contributed to my garden compost bin after unpacking!

      Delete
  7. That's a great gift. Hat tip to Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of the 18C Imaginations campaign - full of Eastern Promise indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, yes I think a simple campaign of that sort could work. Maybe I can be inspired by your current efforts!

      Delete
  9. Well done to Alan for passing Eric's torch further on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ray, yes very nice of Alan. I noticed you are giving some of Eric's wagons a new life in your 1812 games - good for you!

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed, they've come in very handy.

      Delete
  10. A very generous gift indeed:)! I do like having the opportunity to field the Ottomans in an 18thC setting, as they were always lurking in the background, even being courted by some of the 'Christian' powers at various points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a marvellous gift. A lot of excellent figures that you will give a second (in some cases first) life to. Three cheers for Alan!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete